Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 9/10/2010 11:33:59 AM EDT
Got a new BCM 14.5 middy on it's way and I need a good iron sight for it. But most of my $$$ went for the middy so I'm trying to keep it on the cheap. So far the Troy fixed DOA for $65 looks like my best bet. I like the Magpul BUIS as well but don't need a folder. What else is good?
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 11:39:28 AM EDT
[#1]
I have the Troy fixed and highly recomend it. Its as good as the LaRue without being as bulky.
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 12:07:57 PM EDT
[#2]
I really like the LaRue BUIS and the Daniel Defense A1.5.  The DD lacks the QD lever, but it is also lighter and less expensive.  I really see no need for QD on an iron sight...doesn't help, but doesn't hurt either.  For a flip-up, Troy all the way.
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 12:18:38 PM EDT
[#3]
gg&g  b.a.d. for flip.....same plane aperture.
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 12:20:49 PM EDT
[#4]
another +1 on the DD 1.5 rear sight. light and low profile.
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 12:54:01 PM EDT
[#5]
From the excellent reviews here for about five years now I would go with the LaRue LT-103 fixed sight, I won't call 'em bulky but just beefy and robust (just in case it accidentally hits the deck), but a lot lighter than my old LMT BUIS.

I prefer their new without the QD lever which they call the VFZ mount, because I usually don't frequently remove my BUIS, only when doing a detailed cleaning, I also prefer their same plane version which is like my other Troy DOA folding BUIS.

http://stores.homestead.com/Laruetactical/Detail.bok?no=29

Link Posted: 9/10/2010 1:52:18 PM EDT
[#6]
So is the Troy BUIS a same plane aperture sight? I wasn't even thinking about that when I was looking at sights but most of them don't mention one way or another. If so, that kinda limits my options, although if the Larue is available in a non-QD unit that might do the trick. But I'm still preferring the diamond pattern of the Troy DOA
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 3:50:38 PM EDT
[#7]
As stated above - The Diamond pattern of the Troy DOA do look nice ,plus the rear ones look like they have elevation adjustments
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 3:59:03 PM EDT
[#8]
LMT
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 4:38:38 PM EDT
[#9]
I prefer the Hahn Precision rear.
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 5:10:21 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
So is the Troy BUIS a same plane aperture sight? I wasn't even thinking about that when I was looking at sights but most of them don't mention one way or another. If so, that kinda limits my options, although if the Larue is available in a non-QD unit that might do the trick. But I'm still preferring the diamond pattern of the Troy DOA

I have a folding DOA rear:

A) is IS same plane
B) where did you find it for $65?  I just paid $95! I figured it out, $65 is for the fixed BUIS.  I paid $95 for a folding BUIS
C) do NOT expect to shoot nice small groups with this rear sight.  I am most likely going to sell mine and go with a standard Troy folding rear.  For me, the 0-300 aperture is too big to repeatably get the front post centered consistently and the 300-500 aperture is just plain useless as it blurs completely out and can not be used to position the front post at all. YMMV.
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 8:14:18 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
LMT

This

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top