Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 9/10/2010 11:33:59 AM EDT
Got a new BCM 14.5 middy on it's way and I need a good iron sight for it. But most of my $$$ went for the middy so I'm trying to keep it on the cheap. So far the Troy fixed DOA for $65 looks like my best bet. I like the Magpul BUIS as well but don't need a folder. What else is good?
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 11:39:28 AM EDT
I have the Troy fixed and highly recomend it. Its as good as the LaRue without being as bulky.
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 12:07:57 PM EDT
I really like the LaRue BUIS and the Daniel Defense A1.5. The DD lacks the QD lever, but it is also lighter and less expensive. I really see no need for QD on an iron sight...doesn't help, but doesn't hurt either. For a flip-up, Troy all the way.
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 12:18:38 PM EDT
gg&g b.a.d. for flip.....same plane aperture.
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 12:20:49 PM EDT
another +1 on the DD 1.5 rear sight. light and low profile.
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 12:54:01 PM EDT
From the excellent reviews here for about five years now I would go with the LaRue LT-103 fixed sight, I won't call 'em bulky but just beefy and robust (just in case it accidentally hits the deck), but a lot lighter than my old LMT BUIS.

I prefer their new without the QD lever which they call the VFZ mount, because I usually don't frequently remove my BUIS, only when doing a detailed cleaning, I also prefer their same plane version which is like my other Troy DOA folding BUIS.

http://stores.homestead.com/Laruetactical/Detail.bok?no=29

Link Posted: 9/10/2010 1:52:18 PM EDT
So is the Troy BUIS a same plane aperture sight? I wasn't even thinking about that when I was looking at sights but most of them don't mention one way or another. If so, that kinda limits my options, although if the Larue is available in a non-QD unit that might do the trick. But I'm still preferring the diamond pattern of the Troy DOA
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 3:50:38 PM EDT
As stated above - The Diamond pattern of the Troy DOA do look nice ,plus the rear ones look like they have elevation adjustments
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 3:59:03 PM EDT
LMT
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 4:38:38 PM EDT
I prefer the Hahn Precision rear.
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 5:10:21 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/11/2010 6:09:02 AM EDT by bobapunk]
Originally Posted By wanderson:
So is the Troy BUIS a same plane aperture sight? I wasn't even thinking about that when I was looking at sights but most of them don't mention one way or another. If so, that kinda limits my options, although if the Larue is available in a non-QD unit that might do the trick. But I'm still preferring the diamond pattern of the Troy DOA

I have a folding DOA rear:

A) is IS same plane
B) where did you find it for $65? I just paid $95! I figured it out, $65 is for the fixed BUIS. I paid $95 for a folding BUIS
C) do NOT expect to shoot nice small groups with this rear sight. I am most likely going to sell mine and go with a standard Troy folding rear. For me, the 0-300 aperture is too big to repeatably get the front post centered consistently and the 300-500 aperture is just plain useless as it blurs completely out and can not be used to position the front post at all. YMMV.
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 8:14:18 PM EDT
Originally Posted By dphill:
LMT

This

Top Top