Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 9/8/2010 1:37:43 AM EDT
We all know the SS performs well and at 299 it's a solid buy, now CS Tactical has the older Vortex Vipers on a closeout sale(here), and the 6.5-20X50 can be had for less than 300 + shipping.

The only thing that's holding me back on the Vortex, it's the Target Dot/ V-Plex wide reticle. Never seen one, never used one, and above all, 3 hours ago was the first time i even heard of the thing. The intended use of the scope will be mostly target shooting (field target shooting) from the ground, using bi-pods (no fancy rests). The weapon it's a SAM-R'ish rifle.

All input will be well recieved. Thanks.

J
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 6:58:38 AM EDT
[#1]
I think the 6.5-20 would be overkill on an AR. Not to mention that the Target dot reticule is less than ideal.

This in my opinion is probably the best deal going for the price:
http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct/?productnumber=598484

Or the Leupold Mark AR 3-9($349), and if you had more $ the SWFA SS 3-9x FFP Mil/Mil can be had on the sample list for $499.
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 8:09:03 AM EDT
[#2]
I don't think that 6.5-20 is overkill for an AR. I like a decent amount of magnification, usually 4-5x/100yds if I'm shooting for groups. It's also nice to be able to zoom in quickly to see your hits. I do, however, think a 50mm objective is too much for an AR. I posted a thread not too long ago asking what justifies +$100 differences between the 6.5-20x44mm and 50mm. Sam chimed in, and as I thought, said that it was just the cost of the larger glass. We both agreed that the 44mm objective would be a better fit for most ARs, unless you're doing a lot of low light shooting.

I have yet to pick up the 6.5-20x44 but almost had a trade deal worked until the seller accidentally damaged the scope on the way to the PO.

As for the OP's question... I was about to pull the trigger on the 44mm target dot also simply because of the incredible price but I really want a mildot reticle. I think it's better not to settle as I'll eventually just sell it for what I really want. I'm also considering the SS10x as I want to stay in the $300+/- range. If the target dot had exposed turrets it'd be a little different story.
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 8:22:42 AM EDT
[#3]
I've got a SS10X and I just ordered one of the Vortex Vipers that were on clearance. Mine should be in on friday and I could give you some better insight at that time.

I've got quite a few rifles in need of decent optics, so even if I'm not really fond of the target dot I can use it on something. Currently I'm planning on using it on a Rem 700 VTR. I've got the SS on a mark 12ish clone, but I'm planning on moving it when I get the Vortex Viper PST 2.5-10x44.

I don't see much downside to using a 50mm objective since I'm normally mounting in a Larue SPR-E or similar mount. It is a little extra weight, but not that much.
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 8:50:07 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I've got a SS10X and I just ordered one of the Vortex Vipers that were on clearance. Mine should be in on friday and I could give you some better insight at that time.

I've got quite a few rifles in need of decent optics, so even if I'm not really fond of the target dot I can use it on something. Currently I'm planning on using it on a Rem 700 VTR. I've got the SS on a mark 12ish clone, but I'm planning on moving it when I get the Vortex Viper PST 2.5-10x44.

I don't see much downside to using a 50mm objective since I'm normally mounting in a Larue SPR-E or similar mount. It is a little extra weight, but not that much.

In for this. The SSX10 looks like the solid option here the reason im holding out on them, it's the reports of hit/miss quality contro with them. And even though the Viper has more power, the reticle will get me in trouble in the long run. Anyone know how frequent the Super Sniper 3-9 appears on the sample list, the thing just became a player.

Thanks

J
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 9:15:55 AM EDT
[#5]
Here is the scope I'd like to try next:

http://ee.ar15.com/ItemView.aspx?iid=59512

It's a good buy, if its still their next month I might buy it.
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 9:36:24 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

That is one I wish I could afford, but the "broke, soon-to-be college grad and possibly grad-student" budget doesn't allow for it. I think that is the perfect power range and being FFP is nice too!

edit: n/m I was thinking of the new 3-12x44 elite 4200 which is FFP - $850 http://www.cstactical.com/Bushnell/OPTICS/Rifle-Scopes/Bushnell/Bushnell-3-12x44-Elite-4200-30mm-Rifle-Scope.html?vmcchk=1
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 11:54:05 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

That is one I wish I could afford, but the "broke, soon-to-be college grad and possibly grad-student" budget doesn't allow for it. I think that is the perfect power range and being FFP is nice too!

I have a feeling that if I don't buy this one I'll end up buying the same model later for more money, lol.

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top