Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 4/8/2006 5:14:49 PM EDT
Well,
Simply put...My son and I were shooting today, and he felt like he needed to adjust my Aimpoint I almost feel like it is at the point of no return I have tried and tried to get this back on track, but I ran out of daylight.....It is so far out of whack, it is not even on the paper
Please help, I am pulling my hair out!
I wonder if something is broken???????????????
It was previously sighted in at 50 yards, and I have close to 1000 rounds through it, and it has been perfect!
Thanks,
Sean
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 5:48:26 PM EDT
[#1]
Turn Dial All the way until it stops moving.

Then turn backward, counting the clicks it takes to get to other end.

Take that number and divide it by 2 (TWO). Then go back that many clicks and your at the factory zero.
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 6:48:34 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

Take that number and divide it by 2 (TWO). Then go back that many clicks and your at the factory zero.

+1

or just line it up with your irons
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 6:53:41 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 4/9/2006 6:18:32 AM EDT
[#4]

Hopefully you had some irons/BUIS that cowitnessed and you can just get it back on track with your irons.  Otherwise, start counting clicks.
Link Posted: 4/9/2006 6:22:38 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yup thats the way to do it.

Actually, kids, that would be your "mechanical zero".  To get your "factory zero" back, you need to know what Aimpoint sets their Aimpointers at.  Remember, many of these uber-tacticool optiks come adjusted for 5.56mm ammo from the factory
Link Posted: 4/9/2006 6:31:18 AM EDT
[#6]
Thanks folks :-)
No BUIS on this one

Sean
Link Posted: 4/9/2006 7:30:42 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 4/9/2006 7:35:29 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Actually, kids, that would be your "mechanical zero".  To get your "factory zero" back, you need to know what Aimpoint sets their Aimpointers at.  Remember, many of these uber-tacticool optiks come adjusted for 5.56mm ammo from the factory

Thank you for your wise words Nationwide. Now if you have nothing to add to the OPs ?. I suggest you go troll your normal turf. Which BTW is not the Tech forums........So beat feet.

GD is up and to the right.

WTF???

Better check again... my post is both technically accurate and sophmorically humerous.  
Link Posted: 4/9/2006 8:37:11 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yup thats the way to do it.

What

Mechanical Zero pertains to the irons sights on an AR/M16 weapon. All the poster is trying to do is get his Aimpoint dot back to a setting reasonable enough to begin re-zeroing it.

Tell us how Aimpoint “adjusts” their optics to the 5.56mm round?  I can take an ML2/M2 and mount it on ANY weapons platform I wish! 5.56mm, 7.62mm, 9mm it doesn’t matter!!!!!
Link Posted: 4/9/2006 8:47:31 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
What

Mechanical Zero pertains to the irons sights on an AR/M16 weapon. All the poster is trying to do is get his Aimpoint dot back to a setting reasonable enough to begin re-zeroing it.

Tell us how Aimpoint “adjusts” their optics to the 5.56mm round?  I can take an ML2/M2 and mount it on ANY weapons platform I wish! 5.56mm, 7.62mm, 9mm it doesn’t matter!!!!!

The concept of mechanical zero applies to ANY sighting system in which there is provision for adjustment in any axis.  Windage, elevation, whatever.  Irregardles what the sighting system consists of.  The previous statement of "counting the total clicks and divide by two" is indeed mechanical zero.

Adjustment to a particular round is simple.  Standard optic, standard height above the bore and standard ammunition = aproximate standard point of impact.  Then, you adjust the optic from it's mechanical zero to the actual zero ie. point of aim = point of impact.

ETA:  Do you move your Aimpoint around without re-zeroing it???

ETA:  I never said Aimpoint factory adjusts for a 5.56mm round, but I did ask the question, how are they adjusted when the scope leaves the factory.  RIF  
Link Posted: 4/9/2006 9:21:30 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

ETA:  I never said Aimpoint factory adjusts for a 5.56mm round, but I did ask the question, how are they adjusted when the scope leaves the factory.  RIF  

First: What does removing and reinstalling have to do with the posters original question.

Second: Sure sounds like what your saying here. Don’t know any other way to interpret it.

Remember, many of these uber-tacticool optiks come adjusted for 5.56mm ammo from the factory

I’m not going to debate with you on the technical meaning of “mechanical zero”. Sure, you can technically “mechanically zero” any optic system weather it’s iron sights or glass optics.

You make mention of a "factory zero". I’m sure in Aimpoints manufacturing process there is a point where the adjustment range of the optic is checked and then the dot re-centered. And I bet you that it’s basically the same procedure as what has been suggested at the beginning of the thread.

The poster needed a simple procedure to bring his Aimpoint back on paper and that is what he received, a simple, proven procedure.

Link Posted: 4/9/2006 9:29:46 AM EDT
[#12]
Thanks again guys...I am back in action and dead on at 50

Sean
Link Posted: 4/9/2006 9:32:45 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

First: What does removing and reinstalling have to do with the posters original question.

Nothing, it has to do with the subsequent statement about moving the optik to various weapon platforms.

Second: Sure sounds like what your saying here. Don’t know any other way to interpret it.

Remember, many of these uber-tacticool optiks come adjusted for 5.56mm ammo from the factory

And the Aimpoint is ONE of many.  That does not mean that it is THE ONE that is factory preset, does it?  My ACOG is factory set, my EOTech required sighting in.

I’m not going to debate with you on the technical meaning of “mechanical zero”. Sure, you can technically “mechanically zero” any optic system weather it’s iron sights or glass optics.

I thought this was a technical forum.  That's what BOOM scolded me for.  Did they move this thread???

You make mention of a "factory zero". I’m sure in Aimpoints manufacturing process there is a point where the adjustment range of the optic is checked and then the dot re-centered. And I bet you that it’s basically the same procedure as what has been suggested at the beginning of the thread.

I don't work at Aimpoint building Aimpointers.  So, your guess is as good as mine!

The poster needed a simple procedure to bring his Aimpoint back on paper and that is what he received, a simple, proven procedure.

Link Posted: 4/9/2006 9:48:48 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 4/9/2006 9:49:53 AM EDT
[#15]
I see no subsequent statement about moving optics.

Well gee, I thought the subject here was Aimpoints and not ACOG’s.

The procedures suggested worked, as we all knew. And I’m through with the “bickering” and “picking apart” of each others statements.
Link Posted: 4/9/2006 9:54:00 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Thanks again guys...I am back in action and dead on at 50

Sean

Irish317 excellent, glad we could help.

Nationwide beat feet your a .......

6.) Repeatedly attacking or insulting a person in an effort to elicit a negative response. You have a right to disagree, but please do so in a respectful manner.

Link Posted: 4/9/2006 9:55:46 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
I see no subsequent statement about moving optics.

Well gee, I thought the subject here was Aimpoints and not ACOG’s.

The procedures suggested worked, as we all knew. And I’m through with the “bickering” and “picking apart” of each others statements.

Right here...

Tell us how Aimpoint “adjusts” their optics to the 5.56mm round? I can take an ML2/M2 and mount it on ANY weapons platform I wish! 5.56mm, 7.62mm, 9mm it doesn’t matter!!!!!

ETA:  Each of those rounds have different external ballistics, and re-zero of the optik would be ncessary.
Link Posted: 4/9/2006 10:11:54 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:
What

The concept of mechanical zero applies to ANY sighting system in which there is provision for adjustment in any axis.  Windage, elevation, whatever.  Irregardles what the sighting system consists of.  The previous statement of "counting the total clicks and divide by two" is indeed mechanical zero.

Adjustment to a particular round is simple.  Standard optic, standard height above the bore and standard ammunition = aproximate standard point of impact.  Then, you adjust the optic from it's mechanical zero to the actual zero ie. point of aim = point of impact.

Not a word...and spelled wrong at that (if a non-word can be spelled wrong).
Link Posted: 4/9/2006 2:56:48 PM EDT
[#19]
Irish,

I Know you have your zero again but...

an easy way to do this is the old school boresight method.

take your upper off the lower, remove the BC. Set up a target(any object will do) at say 25 yds. Place the upper on some sand bags, rifle rest, range bag anything that will hold it fairly steady... now look down the bore and line up your target/object... it's easier than it may sound... once you see your target through the bore, pop your head up and see where the dot/crosshairs are in relation to your target without moving the upper... line the 2 up and you have a down and dirty bore sight that will put you on paper... no counting... recountinghis
John
Link Posted: 4/9/2006 2:57:08 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 4/9/2006 3:18:34 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 4/9/2006 3:20:33 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 4/9/2006 4:13:19 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
Irish,

I Know you have your zero again but...

an easy way to do this is the old school boresight method.

take your upper off the lower, remove the BC. Set up a target(any object will do) at say 25 yds. Place the upper on some sand bags, rifle rest, range bag anything that will hold it fairly steady... now look down the bore and line up your target/object... it's easier than it may sound... once you see your target through the bore, pop your head up and see where the dot/crosshairs are in relation to your target without moving the upper... line the 2 up and you have a down and dirty bore sight that will put you on paper... no counting... recounting

obviously this only works on rifles that you can see down the bore...

John

Thanks Schultz :-)
Link Posted: 4/9/2006 4:19:52 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I almost feel like it is at the point of no return I have tried and tried to get this back on track, but I ran out of daylight.....It is so far out of whack, it is not even on the paper
Please help, I am pulling my hair out!

When somebody cranks the target turrets around on my NightForce,  (why do people think if an optic has turrets, they are like a volume control??),  I start at about 10 yards to figure out which way to start cranking backwards.   Once I am within 2" at 10 yards, I go to 25, get it close, then go to 100.  

Sometimes faster than going end to end on both windage & elevation, normally only one is so far off you can't tell which way it is missing the paper (like dumping it over the berm...)

Why do people think the knobs are volume control?????? Sheesh....

Sean
Link Posted: 4/9/2006 5:40:45 PM EDT
[#25]
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top