Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 3/25/2006 7:41:29 PM EDT
Has anyone used this scope on their AR, preferably for CQB and midrange? If so, I would love to hear how it worked out for you. I have a TA01NSN and EOTECH, but I'm thinking about getting one of these to fill both roles. Thanks in advance for any information.
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 7:46:20 PM EDT
[#1]
I just happened on the page for these today.  Any info anyone has would be very helpful!
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 7:56:42 PM EDT
[#2]
I have one, and would not use it for "duty use".  It's great for 3 gun matches, etc.  But is not quick enough to take the place of a Aimpoint or EO Tech at CQB distances.

On the plus side it is as accurate (actually a little more due to being 5x) as the TA01NSN at medium to longer ranges.

The down side is that you can't see the illuminated reticle of the MR/T during day light hours.  

Link Posted: 3/25/2006 9:52:55 PM EDT
[#3]
Good luck finding one right now.  I spoke with Leupold and they just filled a huge military order, so many places are out of stock.  I've been waiting for one for over two months now.  They are supposed be shipping some soon to the civilian/LE market now that the military order is filled.  I'm going to use it on my 300x221 AR.

ETA:  I'm referencing the illuminated SPR reticle version.
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 6:44:05 PM EDT
[#4]
Take a good look at I.O.R. sights they have a similar setup that works awesome!
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 6:57:48 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 8:25:50 PM EDT
[#6]
I've had one for 4 months and I love it.  I find it just as fast in CQB as my Aimpoint and Eotech, although it takes some practice.  I can see the reticle illumination during the day here in Washington, but it definitely washes out in brighter daylight.  However, that didn't seem to matter much during a carbine class I took in January.  For less than half the price of an S&B shortdot I think its's great.  The electronics and the way the illunination dial is set up is much better in the S&B but that's what you are paying an extra $1300 for; the optics are just as good and I like the SPR reticle better.  I've shot about 4K rounds since I purchased the scope and not had any problems, but it hasn't been put through any particularly harsh conditions other than rain.
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 11:15:40 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
I'm going to move this to the optics forum. You'll probably get more info there.

Already there. Thank you,though.
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 3:01:50 AM EDT
[#8]
I really like mine. I have used it for about 500 rounds. For close in shooting you have to go both eyes open. Not as hard as you might think if you practice at it. I have not used a Aimpoint or Eotech before so I can't say if it is faster, but I do like it.

Go and find one.
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 11:42:10 AM EDT
[#9]
I swear by it and like it was said above with both eyes open it works fine in short range shooting (<25 yards).  For additional ease of use....a flip up lens cover on the front glass will allow the shooter to turn on the illumination for a ready to use occluded gunsight.

One of the best optics on the market, IMHO.  

If you wanted another great option, you should look into the Trijicon TR21R.

But for me, the Leupold Mark 4 MR/T M2 SPR 1.5X5 Illuminated scope is one fiiiiiiine piece of glass.
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 12:06:34 PM EDT
[#10]
It is a great scope.  As for CQB, use both eyes open like someone wrote.  If you are inside, turn on the illumination and use it like an ACOG.  It works great.  I have the IOR 2X12-32 and I use it for CQB like an ACOG with no problem, so you shouldn't have any problems with the 1.5X.  If you think 1.5x is a problem for cQB, you can check out the Leupold CQB, IOR 1.1X4, or Horus Vision 1x4.  I had the IOR and it was very nice.  You would have no problem at CQB with that big donut.
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 12:09:06 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
It is a great scope.  As for CQB, use both eyes open like someone wrote.  If you are inside, turn on the illumination and use it like an ACOG.  It works great.  I have the IOR 2X12-32 and I use it for CQB like an ACOG with no problem, so you shouldn't have any problems with the 1.5X.  If you think 1.5x is a problem for cQB, you can check out the Leupold CQB, IOR 1.1X4, or Horus Vision 1x4.  I had the IOR and it was very nice.  You would have no problem at CQB with that big donut.

Or option #3...lose the scope and use the BUIS like the good lord intended!  
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 12:50:19 PM EDT
[#12]
I haven't had mine to the range yet (hopefully later this Spring) but it is a very nice piece of glass.
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 1:30:08 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 5:17:58 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Or option #3...lose the scope and use the BUIS like the good lord intended!  

Whatever works for you my friend.  I have a scope with Back-up sights just in case.  Whatever gives me an advantage over the bad guys.
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 6:44:53 AM EDT
[#15]
Buy one if you can find it. I got mine when they first came out last year. Couple of thousand rounds downrange later, mostly at gophers, it would be hard to beat for the price. The NF and S&B are probably better, However,  never looked through either one; but good luck finding a NF and be prepared to have "dinner-in" for awhile if you buy the S&B.

Link Posted: 3/31/2006 8:31:38 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
Buy one if you can find it. I got mine when they first came out last year. Couple of thousand rounds downrange later, mostly at gophers, it would be hard to beat for the price. The NF and S&B are probably better, However,  never looked through either one; but good luck finding a NF and be prepared to have "dinner-in" for awhile if you buy the S&B.

i3.photobucket.com/albums/y94/ptaylor/DSCF0018.jpg
i3.photobucket.com/albums/y94/ptaylor/DSCF0017.jpg

What kind of sling is that that you are using?
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 6:36:14 AM EDT
[#17]
Bungee sling. I got mine from brownells.
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 7:12:52 PM EDT
[#18]
Tag
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 7:40:35 PM EDT
[#19]
Whew.  After reading this thread I feel relieved that I made a good choice. I am a newb to optics.
Just got mine in from ADCO yesterday.  What size flip-open scope covers are those?  #02 OBJ & #18 EYE?
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 8:21:21 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 9:36:34 PM EDT
[#21]
Will check the box for the caps (only saw a battery, black Leupold cloth, small hex tool, manual and foam in there).  Must have been too excited to mount it.  Going to the range tomorrow, so we'll see how that goes.

ETA: Checking the Leupold site, only the LR/T models come with lens caps.  jackt308 sorry if I seem to have imposed on your thread.
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 3:31:30 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
Will check the box for the caps (only saw a battery, black Leupold cloth, small hex tool, manual and foam in there).  Must have been too excited to mount it.  Going to the range tomorrow, so we'll see how that goes.

ETA: Checking the Leupold site, only the LR/T models come with lens caps.  jackt308 sorry if I seem to have imposed on your thread.

lol.no imposition,it's all good.that's why it's a forum
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 4:20:27 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
The Leupold 1.5-5 MR/T M2 are very nice but really hard to get right now.

Leupold 1.5-5 MR/T M2 w/ ARMS rings.
csgw.photosite.com/~photos/tn/633_348.ts1120836249661.jpg

TheMeopta Meostar R1 1-4x22 – RD are very nice optics.  The have illumination 7 setting and it is bright enough to see for day use with no problems.

They are $719.00.
www.csgunworks.com/product_images/3186.jpg

So what's the typical street price on the Leupy (when you can find them)?
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 4:24:57 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:
The Leupold 1.5-5 MR/T M2 are very nice but really hard to get right now.

Leupold 1.5-5 MR/T M2 w/ ARMS rings.
csgw.photosite.com/~photos/tn/633_348.ts1120836249661.jpg

TheMeopta Meostar R1 1-4x22 – RD are very nice optics.  The have illumination 7 setting and it is bright enough to see for day use with no problems.

They are $719.00.
www.csgunworks.com/product_images/3186.jpg

So what's the typical street price on the Leupy (when you can find them)?

$850 new, probably $750-800 on the EE depending on the supply & demand.  I've seen these go for $950 LNIB with a Larue SPR 1.5 mount.
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 4:39:40 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

i3.photobucket.com/albums/y94/ptaylor/DSCF0018.jpg
i3.photobucket.com/albums/y94/ptaylor/DSCF0017.jpg

ptaylor- Where is that?  It looks like Augusta/Choteau/Sun River area.
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 6:09:25 AM EDT
[#26]
Near Pony. Those are the tobacco root mtns.
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 8:20:49 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
$850 new, probably $750-800 on the EE depending on the supply & demand.  I've seen these go for $950 LNIB with a Larue SPR 1.5 mount.

Thanks
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 2:57:50 PM EDT
[#28]
tag`
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 8:16:06 AM EDT
[#29]
I picked one up a as new 1.5 X 5 M/RT in a trade a few weeks ago.

I sadly haven't been to the range yet to try it out, but I like the features it offered.

The Elev. turret is a BDC for the 62gr SS-109 bullet at 2800 fps, and has a zero stop.

The adjustments are in 0.5 MOA increments.

I like the SPR reticle and the reticle can be used as a BDC.The only disappointment is the brightness of the reticle in daulight.

I have it mounted in a ARMS #35 QD base & ring set up.

It is a well built compact & handy scope.

Funny thing is, I had one ordered from my local shop, and a buddy offered to trade his for my AICS chassis.So now I will have two of these little beauties!!!!

SKBY.
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 8:24:53 AM EDT
[#30]
Why do so many people deride the illumated reticle as being too dark in daylight? Isn't that what the un-illuminated reticle is for?

No flame, just wondering how snipers got by without illuminated reticles all these years.
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 8:33:18 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
Why do so many people deride the illumated reticle as being too dark in daylight? Isn't that what the un-illuminated reticle is for?

No flame, just wondering how snipers got by without illuminated reticles all these years.

I think they're referring to the inherent benefits of the BAC.  

However, this scope is designed as a short to medium range tactical precision scope for man sized targets....and it's use as such is 100% fantastic.  It's not a close range scope, nor is a long range scope.  

It has the ability to be an occluded sight for CQB if that was a must, however, for stuff 10-50 yards, it is not the right scope for the job.  Beyond that, it rocks.
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 10:32:18 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

However, this scope is designed as a short to medium range tactical precision scope for man sized targets....and it's use as such is 100% fantastic.  It's not a close range scope, nor is a long range scope.  

It has the ability to be an occluded sight for CQB if that was a must, however, for stuff 10-50 yards, it is not the right scope for the job.  Beyond that, it rocks.

well said!
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top