Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 3/24/2006 5:18:16 AM EDT
I am thinking about switching out my HBAR 1-9" upper for my government 20" 1-7" carry handle upper.  Mainly to get a bit less weight/better handling characteristics and  have more flexibility on bullet weight.  I know that most of the really popular dot and optics combos are being employed on flat-top receivers.  Are there any good dot-type setups being employed on carry handle uppers?  Are they "combat rugged"? Recommendations?  Thanks,

dvo
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 6:12:46 AM EDT
[#1]
Well any minute now the optic NAZI’s will chime in in complete disagreement, but I like my Aimpoint mounted on the carry handle of my CAR. The cheek weld is not nearly as horrid as people make it out to be, it’s still plenty solid.

So, I’ll post the pics I normally post when this topic pops up on it’s weekly basis and let the others flame away!

ETA: If money was not option and I was looking to mount optics on the CH of a 20” A2 rifle I would probably look at one of the ACOG models.

Link Posted: 3/24/2006 8:08:04 AM EDT
[#2]
Nice pics.  Some vintage too.  My HBAR has a CMO 4X BDC mounted on the handle.  Could use a delta-style cheekpiece, but not bad to use at all.  Reticle still comes up pretty nicely.  Aren't some mounting the Aimpoint further forward so that the irons co-witness?

dvo
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 8:45:58 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Nice pics.  Some vintage too.  My HBAR has a CMO 4X BDC mounted on the handle.  Could use a delta-style cheekpiece, but not bad to use at all.  Reticle still comes up pretty nicely.  Aren't some mounting the Aimpoint further forward so that the irons co-witness?

dvo

Vintage pics! LOL!!! Your making me feel old! Those pics are from Somalia, 1993!

Yes some folks use CH mounts that place the optic above the handguards and provide for co-witnessing.
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 9:04:33 AM EDT
[#4]
You're not old!  I'm old.  I used the adjective "vintage" because there are so many youngsters here.  To them, 1993 was a long, long time ago.  I remember when the SP1 was all you could buy and not too many people wanted one...damned poodle-shooter rifles.  Real men shoot the garand.  

dvo
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 9:21:11 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
You're not old!  I'm old.  I used the adjective "vintage" because there are so many youngsters here.  To them, 1993 was a long, long time ago.  I remember when the SP1 was all you could buy and not too many people wanted one...damned poodle-shooter rifles.  Real men shoot the garand.  

dvo

Poodle shooter!  LOL!!!   Now ya done pissed me off after all the help I was trying to give ya!

Well I'm gonna turn 40 here in a couple months but I'm still 18 in my mind! Of course my back tends to disagree with me!

I started out with the M16 in basic training, had a M16A1 in Germany, 1985.................

And experienced the transition to the A2 in 1988. Carried the A2 with 203 through Desert Shield and Desert Storm.

Link Posted: 3/24/2006 4:59:19 PM EDT
[#6]
Does this fellow have his handguards on sideways?  The holes seem to be on the sides.  

Link Posted: 3/24/2006 5:04:54 PM EDT
[#7]
I'm one of those people that like carry handle mounted optics.  I'm tall with a long neck and a long head, optics mounted directly to a flat top are too low for me to use comfortably or well.  After experimenting with carry handle mounts and liking them I fell to peer pressure and built a flat top.  I never liked it, not from day one.  The only way I could shoot it well was with a 1"-1.5" riser under the optic.  In otherwords, right around the height of a carry handle mount.  I wound up selling the flat top and getting a RRA UTE upper, which gives me a nice rail to mount optics and A2 sights and puts the optic at the height I like.  People keep telling me "Lose that sissy upper and get yourself a flat top", I just smile and tell them I'll consider it.
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 5:29:28 PM EDT
[#8]
Not to be a dick but 98% of those photos show guys who HAVE to put their sights on top of a carry handle and NEVER had a choice of flattop.  

Sorry.
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 5:35:38 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Not to be a dick but 98% of those photos show guys who HAVE to put their sights on top of a carry handle and NEVER had a choice of flattop.  

Sorry.

Your absolutely correct. At one time there were no other options, but that doesn’t mean CH mounted optics are inferior to flat top mounted optics. It works for some…..and not for others. I happen to not have a problem with it.......dick.
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 5:47:24 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Sorry.

Joey and me agree.
Nothing wrong when that is your only option.
Let's be honest though - the flat-top rail is a SUPERIOR mount for an optic.
The CH mount might not be bad, but it isn't the best.
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 5:51:04 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

And just why is it superior?

I leave "whats best" up to the owner of the weapon.
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 5:58:28 PM EDT
[#12]
My personal favorite. **

** Requires 1.040" taller post, sold seperate.
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 6:10:08 PM EDT
[#13]
<-- Optics Nazi
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 6:11:59 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 11:14:59 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

And just why is it superior?

I leave "whats best" up to the owner of the weapon.

No it is superior because you get a proper cheek weld. Those carry handle mounts suck. I have used them. YOu have to have your head almost completely off the buttstock.
Pat
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 2:23:16 AM EDT
[#16]
So, like I said early on...................

Quoted:
So, I’ll post the pics I normally post when this topic pops up on it’s weekly basis and let the others flame away!

Link Posted: 3/25/2006 7:37:47 AM EDT
[#17]
QUIB- your A1 looks nice and your Aimpoint is not a Clone so I like it.  

What I don't like (solely based on looks) is the Eotech on top of the carry handle.  What a YUCK!!

The way your rifle is setup is what makes your Aimpoint look just fine.  It's when someone spends $400 "tacticalizing" their rifle with all sorts of goodies but doesn't spend the $85 on a flattop that is wierd...

I'll be happy to back you up on your choice anyday.  Just send me an IM when the shit gets too thick!!

Besides, you take nice pictures too.  
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 7:44:04 AM EDT
[#18]
carry handle optics

Link Posted: 3/25/2006 8:00:04 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
carry handle optics

img.photobucket.com/albums/v629/eklikewhoa/6450/colt6450004.jpg
img.photobucket.com/albums/v629/eklikewhoa/xm177/IMG_0681.jpg

Hey!  Where'd you get the OEG?

All you need to do to look like this guy from Somalia is turn your handguards sideways:
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 9:53:02 AM EDT
[#20]
How hard would it be to put a 4x swat scope on the carry handle? What all would I need?
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 10:06:57 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

dvo

Poodle shooter!  LOL!!!   Now ya done pissed me off after all the help I was trying to give ya!

Well I'm gonna turn 40 here in a couple months but I'm still 18 in my mind! Of course my back tends to disagree with me!

I started out with the M16 in basic training, had a M16A1 in Germany, 1985.................

www.hunt101.com/img/389127-big.jpg

And experienced the transition to the A2 in 1988. Carried the A2 with 203 through Desert Shield and Desert Storm.

www.hunt101.com/img/389131.jpg

Alas, a real pilot's aircraft...   I sometimes miss the simplicity of the mighty mosquito (OH-58A).
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 12:23:55 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

dvo

www.hunt101.com/img/389127-big.jpg

www.hunt101.com/img/389131.jpg

Alas, a real pilot's aircraft...   I sometimes miss the simplicity of the mighty mosquito (OH-58A).

Hard to tell in that pic but it's actually a Charlie model. I loved crewing those birds!
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 12:24:44 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
QUIB- your A1 looks nice and your Aimpoint is not a Clone so I like it.  

What I don't like (solely based on looks) is the Eotech on top of the carry handle.  What a YUCK!!

The way your rifle is setup is what makes your Aimpoint look just fine.  It's when someone spends $400 "tacticalizing" their rifle with all sorts of goodies but doesn't spend the $85 on a flattop that is wierd...

I'll be happy to back you up on your choice anyday.  Just send me an IM when the shit gets too thick!!

Besides, you take nice pictures too.  

Thanks.
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 2:08:29 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:
carry handle optics

img.photobucket.com/albums/v629/eklikewhoa/6450/colt6450004.jpg
img.photobucket.com/albums/v629/eklikewhoa/xm177/IMG_0681.jpg

Hey!  Where'd you get the OEG?

All you need to do to look like this guy from Somalia is turn your handguards sideways:
www.hunt101.com/img/389089.jpg

uxb helped me find it. the one pictured is hard to tell what optic the guy is using. but yeah i dont think i will be turning my handguards sideways anytime soon
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 4:58:10 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

..... the one pictured is hard to tell what optic the guy is using.

That guy is AF Combat Controller Dan Schilling attached to TF Ranger in Somalia, 1993. And I believe he has an Aimpoint 3000 installed on his weapon.

The intent with my CAR build was to replicate the CAR used during that time period. I just decided against the Aimpoint 3000 and opted for the ML2.
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 6:27:57 PM EDT
[#26]
Compact ACOGs are nice on carry handles.
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 6:31:38 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
Compact ACOGs are nice on carry handles.

+1 - works fine for me...
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 7:42:57 PM EDT
[#28]
Mount your handguards sideways when shooting ghetto style.
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top