Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 3/23/2006 10:50:04 PM EDT
I tried getting the Burris XTS-135 approved at my department. The Lt. in charge of making such decisions hadn't heard about the Burris XTS-135 and did not approve it because it was not on the approved list: Trijicon Reflex II, EoTech and Aimpoint. According to strict policy at my department of about 130 officers, no magnification is allowed for optics on CQB AR-15 patrol carbines.    

I had a post earlier questioning whether the Burris was fit for duty use. The issue of the SPOT came up and Grant stated it was the same thing as the Burris. The  Korean manufacturer has different internals in the Burris, the SPOT, the ADCO and now the Tasco versions. This was according to a 2006 SHOT Show report. It appears the Burris has upgraded glass and shock isolation as well as better waterproofing. Burris states their sight is ready for duty. The others are for recreational purposes according to the manuals.

I EMAILED BURRIS IDENTIFYING MYSELF AS A POLICE OFFICER AND ASKED THEM TO PROVIDE A LIST OF DEPARTMENTS WHERE THEIR XTS-135 SIGHTS ARE IN USE. NO REPLY FOR WEEKS. THIS IS VERY UN-BURRIS BEHAVIOR!!!!!!!!!

Burris has a program in which LE personnel can purchase their equipment with a dept. letterhead at a significant discount. So they should have a list of departments handy where their sights are in use. RIGHT?

Are there any actual police, sheriff's deputies or other LE personnel here who have a Burris on their work weapon????????  At this time, I am saving for an Aimpoint, a Larue mount and some quality folding BUIS. I would still like to know if anyone knows of a Burris XTS-135 in use in the real world.
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 12:18:37 AM EDT
[#1]
Inquiring minds want toknow.
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 7:17:40 AM EDT
[#2]
If it was my life hanging on my optic I’d stick with the options your dept has given you. Those three options are already proven combat worthy. No need to look further!
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 8:40:48 AM EDT
[#3]
HerrJaegermeister,
I bought the Burris after reading the thread that you started.
I'm not LEO, just a civilian, but I wanted a sight I could rely on if my life depended on it.
The dot was an odd shaped group of dots. This may have been caused by my eyes, but it's not what I was expecting anyway.

The foam cutout in the box had a place for a cantilever mount, but none is included.
There was no manual in the box, just a product brochure that describes all Burris products (except the XTS).
The sight did seem well made, but I sent it back to Midway and ordered an Eotech from Sportsman's Guide.
If you are could be happy with the dot, it would probably serve you fine for LE use.
Since the Tasco looks like an exact copy, (that includes a low ring mount) I'm thinking about getting one to put on a KelTec Sub2000.
It's about $50 cheaper, and I think has a lifetime warranty. (The Burris is 1 year.)

If you go with an Aimpoint or Eotech, I'm sure you won't be dissappointed.
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 9:37:17 AM EDT
[#4]
The plan now is to work traffic overtime grants to fund my Aimpoint mount and BUIS. I'll probably get the comp ml2 in 4 moa. I was recently assigned to perimiter duty during an armed standoff. I was rotated to the back of the house to cover the rear while our SERT team gassed the house. Range was pretty close. Amost always the distance of a residential yard to a city block from cover. I think a 4 MOA dot would be perfect for CQB and up to 100 yards.

Right now, I am running Meprolight night sights and a M3x long gun model mounted to the front sight tower with a mounting block. This is actually really effective at night and under street light conditions to near total darkness. And yes, night sights on a LE rifle do work well due to varying light conditions when covering a K9 track of an armed suspect.

Anyway, just wondering if the Burris was catching on for LE or is more accepted by recreational shooters. I just have to make the decision whether an optic is worth it.
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 1:04:02 PM EDT
[#5]
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top