Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 3/22/2006 6:09:20 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 3/30/2006 4:58:55 PM EDT by callgood]
I've had a Bushnell 3200 for a year or so. I noticed that when I look thru it with the horizontal reticle level, the bottom vertical reticle is slanted a bit- doesn't hit "6 oclock." Not much, but I can notice it.

So I just mounted my IOR Valdada and- same thing. Again, not much, but I can tell.

Last night I got the Bushnell out and mounted it left handed. When I look thru the sight with my left eye, same thing, only the reticle slants the OTHER way- left I think.

Do I need to line up a cane and dark glasses, or what?

Yep, it's the progressive lenses in my glasses. If I lift them up, the effect goes away. Cheap fix.
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 10:12:00 AM EDT
I had the same thing happen with a different scope. In my case, I discovered that the front sight was in the way of the very bottom of the scope's field of view, and because it was so close, the blurred distortion made the 6:00 post of the reticle look like it was 'dancing' around a bit, and not lining up perfectly at 6:00.

Don't know if it's exactly what you're experiencing, but that was how it happened to me.
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 10:44:56 AM EDT
In the case of my AR, I have a flip down front sight on their Varmint Special. It's not a factor with the Bushnell in the down position.

With th IOR and the FAL, I'm kdoing this from memory, and I don't think it's the front sight post. The IOR is on a set of YHM risers. The rear para sight and the front sight are on a plane under the risers, so I can't visualize how the front sight would come into play (just set it up last night and I'm working from memory, here).

I think I'll get the guy at the range to see if he sees the same thing I do. Since the bottom vertical reticle "bends" left or right depending on which eye I use, it would seem to be some kind of optical illusion.

This is no big deal- doesn't affect performance. I'm just curious.
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 12:48:02 PM EDT
I have a Leupold scope that looks like one of the lines in the crosshair "bends" near the edge of the FOV. It bothered me when I first noticed but it doesn't effect the function of the scope.
Top Top