Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 3/21/2006 7:01:03 AM EDT
Just checking...

How is the reticle positioned in relation to the front sight?
A little (enough) above it or overlapping?
Thanks.
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 7:07:08 AM EDT
[#1]
Don't worry about it, because it really doesn't matter.  It will vary depending on the height of your mount, and if you zero the irons differently from the optic.

I will say when looking throught the irons my front sight would bisect the dot of my Reflex, and on my buddies Reflex II the tip of the triagnel would be at the top center of the front sight.

But if you were just looking at the optic (and over the irons) all you'd see is the reticle hovering over the front sight.
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 7:17:04 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
It will vary depending on the height of your mount,

I would assume the Trijicon flattop mounts, like the one pictured, are all the same height?

Quoted:
I will say when looking throught the irons my front sight would bisect the dot of my Reflex, and on my buddies Reflex II the tip of the triagnel would be at the top center of the front sight.

I'll interpret this as "you may need a riser" if it's very close to overlapping.
(Or are you talking about the flattop mount or some other type of mount? I'm only interested in the flattop mount...)
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 7:30:00 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
I would assume the Trijicon flattop mounts, like the one pictured, are all the same height?

No they make at least 2 different height mounts.

I'll interpret this as "you may need a riser" if it's very close to overlapping.

NO!

If you are looking through the irons, and both the irons and the optic are zeroed to the same point that IS the sight picture you should see.

Normal use of the optic has one looking OVER the iron sights. This is the same if you are using the factory flattop quick-detach mount or the factory gooseneck carry handle mount (I've owned & used both).
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 10:03:53 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 7:11:53 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
A mount like this one will put the dot way above the front sight, resulting in the need for 2 different cheek welds.

...if you want to have irons, too, that is?
My point being that I'm considering the combo pictured above for a "fun plinker" 9mm AR, not for some serious combat rifle so I have no need for BUIS. I just want to see the reticle without having to "dodge" the front sight while shooting so it seems this setup would be just perfect.

And to clarify: I was and am asking about the mount pictured, RX14, and not some other mounts that may exist.
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top