Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 3/20/2006 11:11:43 PM EDT
Today I was finishing sighting in my EOTech on my new upper and started on my irons. I shot a group and noticed that the shots were going almost off the paper near the bottom of my target (20 yards). I lowered the front sight post as low as it would go to try to raise my group, which of course it did, but not enough. I went out to 100 yards to see how much it needed to go, and my shots were still hitting probably a foot and a half below my bullseye and POA. I couldn't figure out why until I got home and took off both sights from my gun.

Turns out my GG&G A2 rear is about 1/4" lower than my Troy front sight. I can tell this because if I look straight through my GG&G, I expect to see the 3/4 circle of the Troy sort of surrond my field of view. It doesn't. My question is, why? Both are meant to be mounted on the reciever/rail. Both are brand new, no damage, nothing. It almost seems as if the Troy was meant to be mounted on a gas block instead of a rail. Both GG&G's and Troy's website state that they can allign with other mil-spec BUIS. Are my sights out of spec or am I missing something here?
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 7:09:46 AM EDT
[#1]
Is your rear sight mounted directly to the receiver (no riser or other mount)?
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 10:32:30 AM EDT
[#2]
Yes.

ETA:
So I made a few phone calls:
Both companies, Troy and GG&G were very helpful and professional in offering to replace the products, no questions asked. GG&G even offered me to send in my whole upper and have them measure the front and rear sight heights to see if one was out of spec.
But, neither could give me any conclusive answer as to why either my front sight is too high or rear sight is too low. Neither of them had ever heard of this happening before and stated that their products should both work with standard height components.
The only real conclusion I can get to is that one of the components is out of spec, which brings me to my next question:
Does anybody have the correct heights at which your front sight and rear sight should be, measured from for example the distance from the rail to the opening from where the front sight post should come out of?
Thanks.
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 7:52:36 PM EDT
[#3]
Anyone?
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 8:22:25 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 7:24:58 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Anyone?

I'll measure mine later tonight and post the results
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 6:53:15 PM EDT
[#6]
My sights (YHM front, KAC 600M rear) measured 1.40" from the top of the rail to the sight plane (top of front sight - middle of rear aperture).  The front sight measured about .95" from the top of the rail to the base of the front sight post.
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 10:14:39 PM EDT
[#7]
I think I have found my answer. My front sight is 1.125" from the rail to the bottom of the front sight post. Thanks Forest!
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top