Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 3/20/2006 6:32:50 AM EDT
I need help with a long-term plan, and I hope this isn’t too much to ask at one time.

I already have the receivers, barrel, bolt assembly and tele-stock that I want to use.  The rifle is an AR-15 type.

The barrel is a 1/7, M-4-profile, 14.5-inch BM with a perm flash hider, standard front sight base, and standard hand guards.

I have a standard flat-top receiver.

I like the tele-stock that I have now and I don’t want to change it.  

Here’s the eventual goal: I want a close-in rifle with an EOTech sight (I’m open for suggestions for other no-magnification, or low magnification sights too.), BUIS, and the ability to easily remove and attach the PVS-14 NV device.   I might eventually add a VG and lasers and lights, but I’m not warm to that idea right now--I want the rifle to look, and be, as plain as possible with the exception of the optics of course.    I want the sight height--I don’t know what to call the height above the barrel that’s the line of sight--to be about where the A2’s line-of-sight is.  

Am I crazy to want to replace the standard FSB with a fold-down, BUIS/gas block (I know it’ll have to be two-piece)?  I know the FSB I have now will be tough to get off (cut-off), but I have pretty good tool sense and lots of tools.  It seems to me that I don’t want the standard sight base to obstruct the field of view.  Having a better field of view is the reason for wanting to replace the FSB--is it worth the effort?  I’m thinking I want a folding, rear BUIS for the same field-of-view optimization.  …Worth it?  I’m not hell-bent against the idea of cutting the top off the standard FSB, and then refinishing it, to get some hand guard over/past it.  

What hand guard should I get that’ll let me mount the two optics that I want to use with some folding BUIS?  I’ll mount the EOTech or whatever I get, and the BUIS, just about immediately, but I won’t have the PVS-14 for a year or two.   I don’t want the fanciest hand guard out there, just one that’ll work, and I don’t want to mount any optic/sight on the standard hand guard or anything that’s otherwise a sloppy mount.  There’s so damned many hand guard options out there that I’m entirely confused.  

I guess the bottom line is that I can afford an EOTech, railed hand guard, and BUIS, but not the PVS-14 yet.  But, the hand guard and sights I buy today, I want to be as plain as possible, but readily usable for the adaptation of the PVS-14 without having to re-buy anything.  

BTDT kind of feedback and/or criticism would be greatly appreciated--it’s certainly needed.  
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 9:01:59 AM EDT
[#1]
IMO There is no need to replace the FSB.  When you are using a sight like an EOTech properly, both eyes open, focusing on the target, you won't even notice your front sight.
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 10:46:55 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
IMO There is no need to replace the FSB.  When you are using a sight like an EOTech properly, both eyes open, focusing on the target, you won't even notice your front sight.

+1

And if you DO need to use your BUIS it's nice having the front sight already in place.
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 11:59:59 AM EDT
[#3]
...What about with a PVS-14 behind the EOTech?  Will the FSB interfere then?  I ask because it seems that with one eye "dark," and with the other eye looking through the tube, then the FSB won't disappear like it does with both eyes open in daylight.  (I admit that I still might be making a big deal out of nothing, and I'm not asking questions and then arguing with the answers.)

Thanks.
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 8:41:47 PM EDT
[#4]
You won't have a problem, even with the PVS-14.  Remember, all standard .mil rifles have the regular FSB, and we use PVS-14s all the time, and there is no problem shooting with the combo.  

Heck, when I go out at night with an M4 I have a PVS-14 over my left (non-shooting) eye and another mounted behind the Aimpoint.
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 7:30:56 AM EDT
[#5]
I went with the 552A65.  I don't have it mounted yet.

I did get to sight with one mounted on an AR carbine.  I see now that the front sight ain't no biggie, although I ordered a set of folding BUIS already--front and rear--that should arrive today.  I'll use the rear sight on my carbine, but I'll probably keep the front sight like it is, especially since I run a risk of buggering my bbl to get it off.  I also like the advice I got about not having to fiddle with the front sight, in case I need it.

I guess I'll put the folding front sight on my Colt, 6551 (I think that's the model,)  or maybe my 7.62x39 carbine...I shouldn't have bought it.  I should have listened.  

Thanks for the good advice.  
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top