Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 3/16/2006 10:34:31 PM EDT
Greetings,

I am currently in the process of building an SPR.  I just bought the Larue SPR-M4 scope mount.  The scope I was planning on buying had a 50mm objective.  I measured it out and it will not clear the front rail.

So what do you guys use/receommend?  I want as much x-power as possible.  I was going with an 8.5-25x50 Mark 4, but again it will not fit.  What is good for + 20x  zoom?

Thanks

TS
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 10:49:08 PM EDT
[#1]
20 x damn thats a lot  for a 5.56
the most you will shoot is 6 to 7 hundred yards.
why so much
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 1:18:23 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
20 x damn thats a lot  for a 5.56
the most you will shoot is 6 to 7 hundred yards.
why so much

+1

I think your looking way beyond the range of the 5.56.  Remember the role of the SPR is "longer" accurate engagements on an AR platform but its still not meant for uber long range sniping. The scope you mention would be better suited on something like a .338 Lapua bolt gun or hell, even the big daddy .50, but then your stepping outside the realm of the SPR all together. Take a look at some of the SPR builds around here, particularly Bigbores "ADCO Builds" picture thread in the Industry forum. I think you'll see that the majority of SPR's will have something in the 1-5x or 3.5-10x range, around 14x being pretty much the max. The lower magnification scopes give you the versatility of having just enough zoom for accurate medium range shots while also being able to engage close targets quickly.

That being said, I would take a look at the Leupold MR/T's if your going for authenticity or if you wanted to be a bit different and price isnt so much a factor, take a look at the ACOG's or US Optics SN-4. Good Luck.
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 1:33:49 AM EDT
[#3]
+1 on the above comments.

I would recommend the NightForce 2.5-10x24 with the NP-R2 reticle. If you must have more power, the 3.5-15x50 NightForce would be the maximum power I would recommend.
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 1:51:05 AM EDT
[#4]
I shot two SPR's yesterday.  One had magnification to 10x.  We had a very hard time discerning where the shots were placing at 100 yards.  The other SPR had a 20x on it.  I enjoyed that one tons more.   I want to be able to see/pick-off shotgun hulls at 300 yards.

TS
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 4:07:17 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
I would recommend the NightForce 2.5-10x24 with the NP-R2 reticle. If you must have more power, the 3.5-15x50 NightForce would be the maximum power I would recommend.

Thats good advice. Heat mirage might cause issues @ your location also. No need for that much power in a 5.56. -Justin
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 5:06:29 AM EDT
[#6]
Are you really building an SPR or are you using that as a generic term for a 'tactical' precision AR?  
If you are building a varmint/ target precision AR I don't see anything wrong with using a 6.5-20x scope or something similar. If all you are doing is shooting small targets i.e. prairie dogs at long distance than the 20x will be useful. If you are building a true SPR clone a 3-9x36 or 2.5-10 would be much more appropriate as you would no limit the capabilities of the rifle at closer distances.  It all depends on what YOU want to do with the rifle and what your preferences are.
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 5:18:30 AM EDT
[#7]
I think your example of a varmint/target AR is what I am after.  I am not too worried about the "guys" who will pop up at me in the 30 yard range.

TS
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 5:35:17 AM EDT
[#8]
What rail are you using? You should not have any issues with a Mk4 50mm objective and a Larue SPR mount.  

As you can see this 50mm Nightforce has plenty of clearance with a Larue rail that is level with the upper.  

Photo from MSTN
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 5:48:51 AM EDT
[#9]
Why not just dump the Larue & go w/ a different/higher mounting system? Do you need a quick release system? No sense in not getting the optic you want when you can sell or trade even for a set of high quality rings. What are the specs of the rifle its going on? Just curious. -Justin

I use a VX-III 4.5-14x40. Might fit your needs. But, its a 1" tube.... It seems as magnification goes up, so does obj. size...  
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 10:15:36 AM EDT
[#10]
dont see how the larue would not work with a 50mm bell, there are tons of builds/pics here that state otherwise.

and i will second the rec of a nightforce 3.5-15x50mm
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 10:46:03 AM EDT
[#11]
A 50mm bell is bling and unnecessary, particularly on a 5.56, kinda the same for over 10X.

You get what you pay for with this opinion.

Link Posted: 3/17/2006 10:48:26 AM EDT
[#12]
Leupold MR/T
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 11:50:02 AM EDT
[#13]
I use a Leupold Mk4 4.5-14x40PR on my SPR.  Works well for me.
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 2:48:04 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
What rail are you using?

I was going to use a Samson.

Hey thanks guys for the responses in this thread.  They are really helping me make some decisions regarding this build.  Keep the comment and pictures coming!

Thanks

TS
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 4:15:36 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:
What rail are you using?

I was going to use a Samson.

Hey thanks guys for the responses in this thread.  They are really helping me make some decisions regarding this build.  Keep the comment and pictures coming!

Thanks

TS

Well...
The outside measurement on a leupold MK4 50mm obj is 2.3"
half of 2.3 is 1.15
Measuring crudely with a ruler from the top of my MRFS-R to the center of my Larue LT104 it is approximately 1.5" (if not 1.6) that gives plenty of clearance even with flip caps on
My 3.5-15x50 NightForce with flip cap is approximately 2.5" edge to edge.  (To ref the pic above)

BTW – application of the round determines the magnification to be used NOT the maximum effective range of the cartridge.  Get a scope that works for your application, but realize the detriments of very high power scopes can out weigh the benefits.  
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top