Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 3/14/2006 8:03:36 PM EDT
Just what the title says. Is this worth getting? Is it just for the front? I don't know anyone who has one. I know they're cheap enough but any info would be appreciated.
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 8:07:21 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 8:09:07 PM EDT
[#2]
I have one but don't use.  I think it darkens the view.
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 8:15:40 PM EDT
[#3]
Unless you are in the military or  a  LE officer, I don't see a need for one
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 9:33:24 PM EDT
[#4]
No
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 9:43:30 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
I have one but don't use.  I think it darkens the view.

Let me know if you want to sell it cheap Seriously!

Sean
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 10:29:21 PM EDT
[#6]
I have one on mine, but it came with it.  It is supposed to hide the dot signature from the enemy's point of view.  I never set it up with and without at night to see what if any difference it makes.
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 3:47:40 AM EDT
[#7]
A darkening filter works best for the reflex sights since it enhances the contrast and thus makes the fiber optic illuminated reticle appear "bright" against the dark background. With a red dot, all it will do is make the dot at the lower setting appear clear against bright backgrounds.
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 5:20:04 AM EDT
[#8]
That filter is just trying to cut front visible glare that may give away your position.  It wasn't designed to darken..thats just a byproduct.  It is as thin and transparent as design allows.  If you're worried about the lens of your scope giving you away...get one.  I suppose it protects the lens to a degree also.

I do think its funny when folks use these along with mirror bezel flashlights mounted on the 4end...tacticool!
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 5:30:19 AM EDT
[#9]
i have one and sometimes i find it distracting looking thru the screen.  
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 5:58:42 AM EDT
[#10]
Not unless you use your Aimpoint for hunting, I have an Aimpoint on my turkey gun and the red reflection from the front lens will spook birds, so I use one on it and the one that I have on my 44 mag brush rifle, other than that they are pretty useless and most of the guys in the Mil woodline theirs.  
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 6:49:31 PM EDT
[#11]
I just had to post a picture of the used Aimpoint that I acquired a while back for $250:

It included the kill flash, double battery cap, mount, and rubber crap that I want to replace soon.

Link Posted: 3/16/2006 7:07:39 PM EDT
[#12]
Is the Killflash for the Aimpoint worth buying?  

Are you getting shot at? If not , no. JMO
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 7:34:13 PM EDT
[#13]
I'm selling one cheap.  I'll trade a USGI 30-round mag in LNIB condition for it.  Let me know.
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 8:42:33 PM EDT
[#14]
No it's not.  If you need a quick fix to killthe glar from the front, just get an old piece of stocking and a rubber band and put it on the end.
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 10:35:37 PM EDT
[#15]
Mine came with the Aimpoint when I bought it.

I leave it on there so I don't spook any coyotes. That's the only reason. I wouldn't have one if it didn't come with. Not worth the $30 that they want for it, IMO.

WIZZO
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 3:23:06 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
No it's not.  If you need a quick fix to killthe glar from the front, just get an old piece of stocking and a rubber band and put it on the end.

USGI Mil-Spec Tactical Glare Suppression Device aka women's panythose
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 3:51:18 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

USGI Mil-Spec Tactical Glare Suppression Device aka women's panythose

But .gov pays $500 per pair though.
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 10:45:34 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
I have one on mine, but it came with it.  It is supposed to hide the dot signature from the enemy's point of view.  I never set it up with and without at night to see what if any difference it makes.

Uhh, where did you get that from?  Has nothing to do with night use or being able to see the dot.  It's for glare on the objective lens.
As for utility in a non-tactical environment, it makes a great sacrificial lens.  A lot easier to replace a $20 KilFlash than whatever it would take to send the unit in to Aimpoint to have the objective replaced.
The screen/chain-link view does take some getting used to.  If you are using the optic like it is intended and have it set forward it is not so noticeable.  You get used to it, and I haven't found it to be that detrimental over 6 years with one on my M68.
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 2:59:45 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Uhh, where did you get that from?  Has nothing to do with night use or being able to see the dot.  It's for glare on the objective lens.
As for utility in a non-tactical environment, it makes a great sacrificial lens.  A lot easier to replace a $20 KilFlash than whatever it would take to send the unit in to Aimpoint to have the objective replaced.
The screen/chain-link view does take some getting used to.  If you are using the optic like it is intended and have it set forward it is not so noticeable.  You get used to it, and I haven't found it to be that detrimental over 6 years with one on my M68.

I got it from the guy who sold it to me.  He was probably full o sheet, but, that is what he said.

This is what the ad says for the Kill Flash:  The KillFlash™ anti-reflection device is designed to eliminate potentially compromising reflections from the objective lens.

ETA:  Personally I would not purchase a Kill Flash, but, since the mall ninja built it (ETA his Aimpoint) up that way, and appeared to need money, I didn't mind taking it off of his hands.

Edited once more to add the product's description.
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 4:50:42 PM EDT
[#20]
I run a Kill flash for two reasons

1. a cheap protective barrier that will save my lens from scratch,s dings, etc ( I don't run a front cover on it)

2. The kill-flash darkens the sight picture just slightly... that small amount of Contrast makes the dot easier to see in bright sunlight making acquisition of the dot to the target easier and quicker.

If your not working for Uncle Sugar and your running one for any other reason your wasting your money........

The two reasons I stated are not it's intended purpose, but a by product of it's primary purpose which is to Eliminate (Kill) the unwanted flash that light reflecting off the front lens can cause... which may give away you position in a tactical environment .You know Kill-flash.....

Don't buy them new... look around... they can be had for cheap..... if protection and sight picture is not a big deal fr you.... then buy $25 in ammo.. or 2 new magazines.........
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 4:58:13 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
I got it from the guy who sold it to me.  He was probably full o sheet, but, that is what he said.

Beware mall ninjas bearing information.

This is what the ad says for the Kill Flash:  The KillFlash™ anti-reflection device is designed to eliminate potentially compromising reflections from the objective lens.

There it is right there.  Anti-Reflection Device (ARD).  It's for reflections, not emissions.

ETA:  Personally I would not purchase a Kill Flash, but, since the mall ninja built it (ETA his Aimpoint) up that way, and appeared to need money, I didn't mind taking it off of his hands.

Like I said, its a lot easier to replace an ARD (and cheaper) than to replace an objective lens.  Depends on how rough you are with your optic.
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top