Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 3/14/2006 2:56:35 PM EDT
I just got a Matech BUIS recently, and I don't like the idea of mounting it to the upper with a screw that has red Loctite on it, so I removed it.  

Should blue Loctite hold things in place just fine, or do I need to put another dab of red back on it?

Link Posted: 3/14/2006 4:11:27 PM EDT
[#1]
IMO, blue is just fine! Most BUIS don't even use a thread locker, so the Matech being an issue item is just set up to be more permanent for combat conditions. Hope this helps! BTW I don't think the "red" that comes on the Matech is the same strength as "Loctite" red. If you use real red... don't use much!
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 4:12:59 PM EDT
[#2]
I installed mine “as is”. The mfgr should know what the hell he’s doing when he applies lock tight at the factory! It's there for a reason.
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 4:22:41 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
I just got a Matech BUIS recently, and I don't like the idea of mounting it to the upper with a screw that has red Loctite on it, so I removed it.  

Should blue Loctite hold things in place just fine, or do I need to put another dab of red back on it?

We use EOTech thumb screws to hold our on.  Something to think about.

B_S
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 4:27:21 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
We use EOTech thumb screws to hold our on.  Something to think about.
B_S

Interesting. Is it a simple  one to one swap?
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 4:36:51 PM EDT
[#5]
I believe so.  I was talking to one of our CATM Sgts today, he said the EOTech thumb screws work really well.  He did mention they were easier to snap off, though.

He made it sound like it was a simple swap, I'll pay more attention to them next time I see them.

Sorry couldn't be more help.

B_S
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 4:41:05 PM EDT
[#6]
Thanks, I'll stay tuned!
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 12:58:47 PM EDT
[#7]
I was actually trying to think of a way to install it with some sort of thumb screw.

In the meantime, I might just give the blue Loctite a whirl.  The instructions mention that the threads have something on them that makes attachment permanent, so I'm guessing that it's just plain old red Loctite, probably to make it soldier-proof.

On a related note I recently emailed Matech asking them if there was a distributor that sells these to individuals, even if there is a military restriction, but alas I have not received a response.  Is anybody aware of a distributor that will sell these to individuals, even if there is a mil-only restriction in the contract?  Surely these things aren't all being sold directly to the military with some falling off of the back of a truck...

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top