Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 3/13/2006 6:46:36 PM EDT
I have been saving up for a high quality optic for sometime now, and have been paying attention to this forum, and it seems to me that over the last 6-8 months, it seems that the majority of the threads have been centering on EOTechs in someway or another (among other optics)

Have Aimpoints fallen out of favor?  Did I miss a memo?  Or have they just not come out with anything new lately?  Is it just that their single dot is boring compared to the 65MOA/1MOA reticle of the EOthingy?

Fill/Clue me in?
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 7:01:05 PM EDT
[#1]
There is more and more report about eotechs being less solid and canting issues.

Buy both.
I did and I'm happy.
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 7:02:32 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
I have been saving up for a high quality optic for sometime now, and have been paying attention to this forum, and it seems to me that over the last 6-8 months, it seems that the majority of the threads have been centering on EOTechs in someway or another (among other optics)

Have Aimpoints fallen out of favor?  Did I miss a memo?  Or have they just not come out with anything new lately?  Is it just that their single dot is boring compared to the 65MOA/1MOA reticle of the EOthingy?

Fill/Clue me in?

Get what YOU need.  Do not worry about what someone else has.  The Eotech is fine, the Aimpoint is fine. They both have their positives and negatives.  I have never had a problem with my Aimpoint, which I can't say that about my TA-31 (lack of helicoils for mounting) or my Eotech (electrical failure).
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 7:12:34 PM EDT
[#3]
I prefer the Aimpoint because of battery life, faster switch, lens caps, and better mounting options.

I can't really think of anything I like about the EOTech...  I am just as fast up close with either optic so the EOTech doesn't offer me anything.
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 7:15:57 PM EDT
[#4]
+1 for Aimpoint. I have a COMP M and don't have a single complaint.
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 7:18:22 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
I prefer the Aimpoint because of battery life, faster switch, lens caps, and better mounting options.

I can't really think of anything I like about the EOTech...  I am just as fast up close with either optic so the EOTech doesn't offer me anything.

+1
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 7:18:27 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Me too. I have the Comp ML3 with the new 50,000 hours of battery life and 2 MOA dot, plus I don't like the square profile of the Eotech. My Troy Industries mount will be here any day now (I've waited since December for new production).
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 8:22:39 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Me too. I have the Comp ML3 with the new 50,000 hours of battery life and 2 MOA dot, plus I don't like the square profile of the Eotech. My Troy Industries mount will be here any day now (I've waited since December for new production).

Why did you pick Troy over LaRue?
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 8:32:57 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

+1

+2

I just picked up another one for my rifle.  

Link Posted: 3/13/2006 9:52:31 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Well, I've never held either one so I went with what I read. The LaRue QD lever did not appeal to me. The battery compartment is nice, but with a 50K hour optic I didn't give away a necessary feature. The Troy looked pretty bomb-proof with the dual cross bolts, and finally I think price became a factor when I weighed the options that mattered to me.

I'll let you know what I think when the mount gets here. I've been told it shipped.
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 4:57:19 AM EDT
[#10]
all i have noticed is a lot of threads with problems involving the eotech along with trade/sale threads.

Link Posted: 3/14/2006 6:34:00 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Well, I've never held either one so I went with what I read. The LaRue QD lever did not appeal to me. The battery compartment is nice, but with a 50K hour optic I didn't give away a necessary feature. The Troy looked pretty bomb-proof with the dual cross bolts, and finally I think price became a factor when I weighed the options that mattered to me.

I'll let you know what I think when the mount gets here. I've been told it shipped.

If you had held a LaRue, I doubt you would still have a problem with the throw lever.

To each his own.  I love the LaRue mounts.  
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 6:45:06 AM EDT
[#12]
huh?

No....the Aimpoint still reigns supreme.  The EoTech is nice though cause it has an integral mount and takes AA batteries.  Otherwise it has no other advantage over the Aimpoint...

except that 65MOA circle of dots.....
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 7:41:50 AM EDT
[#13]
Aimpoint out of favor?

Not with me.

Link Posted: 3/14/2006 7:53:47 AM EDT
[#14]
Everyone already bought one, and they are so good noone bitches about them .

People only post to bitch around here, or ask what to buy
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 7:57:25 AM EDT
[#15]
It has with me. Bought two of each over the past couple of years & now I have just eotech. Zero issues with it & it's faster for me plus I prefer the FOV and the battery/mount set-up. I wouldn't hesitate to use an aimpoint if an eotech wasn't available though
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 8:54:11 AM EDT
[#16]
Fe sights = t3h win.
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 9:07:32 AM EDT
[#17]
"Otherwise it has no other advantage over the Aimpoint..."

Yeah reduced tunnel vision and increased situational awareness aren't advantages at all

I bought I bitched I sold, then I bought EO-techs.  
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 9:12:39 AM EDT
[#18]
Used both, bought EOtechs.

Honestly you couldn't go wrong with either. I just liked the 65moa ring/1moa dot a lot more than just a dot.
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 9:13:18 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Yeah reduced tunnel vision and increased situational awareness aren't advantages at all

Link Posted: 3/14/2006 9:32:39 AM EDT
[#20]
I have both, my EOTech is my favorite, but I sure as hell ain't selling my Aimpoint.

WIZZO
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 10:26:20 AM EDT
[#21]
Eotech's easier on my eye's... (I wear contacts).  other than that, no preference either way... (price might be a deciding factor though)
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 11:50:40 AM EDT
[#22]
I have two Aimpoints - a CompML2 and a CompML3 2 MOA and LOVE them both.

I am not knocking EOTechs - I'll probably get one on my next CQB rifle - but the Aimpoints just feel a little more durable to me. I also like the simple, single dot - especially the 2MOA dot on the ML3.

Plus - 50,000 hours battery life. Seriously, that's bad-ass.
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 11:56:23 AM EDT
[#23]
Love my Aimpoint M2.

Was going to buy an Eotech 552 but  were out of stock at the time so I got the Aimpoint and I really like it on my shorty Bushmaster.

Flyer
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 12:01:50 PM EDT
[#24]
Love my ML2.

Link Posted: 3/14/2006 4:22:06 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Aimpoints you looking thru a tube. The EOtech is more heads up.
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 4:32:41 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
Aimpoints you looking thru a tube. The EOtech is more heads up.

I thought that as well…………….till I converted!

Link Posted: 3/14/2006 5:44:10 PM EDT
[#27]
These things seem to go in waves, just like the magnified optic popularity.  ACOGs then IORs then Short Dots then ELCANs, and the world goes 'round.

Me?  Just sold an Aimpoint, and plan to give the EOThing a try.  If no likee, will keep searching until finding what works for me.
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 7:32:27 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 7:46:26 PM EDT
[#29]
omg like w/e... aimpoints are like soooo 2003 its all about the eotechs now.
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 8:39:17 PM EDT
[#30]
... disregard ... i misread the post.
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 8:43:40 PM EDT
[#31]
I have previously used aimpoints, but I will be purchasing my first eotech this week. No problems with the Aimpoint - I love it. I just want to try something different.
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 9:32:54 PM EDT
[#32]
Lord I hope so, then the readership will sell off and I can get a few cheap spares...
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 5:11:05 AM EDT
[#33]
Not trolling but I thought the advantages with EO are:

1)  EOtechs provide better peripheral visions (less crud around the sight)
2)  EOtechs are lighter

But what do I know, I've never used either.

Link Posted: 3/15/2006 6:51:59 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:
Not trolling but I thought the advantages with EO are:

1)  EOtechs provide better peripheral visions (less crud around the sight)
2)  EOtechs are lighter

But what do I know, I've never used either.

Neither of those advantages is noticeable enough to outweigh the advantages of the Aimpoint.  Once the optic is mounted on the rifle, you won't be able to tell a weight difference.  As far as the "tunnel vision" thing that some people have talked about, I have never noticed it when using the Aimpoint.

I have owned both and I stuck with Aimpoints.
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 6:59:35 AM EDT
[#35]
I've always had the logic that red dots are to supplement, not replace, your iron sights.  That said, I have absolutely no use for a 65 MOA circle.  My irons cowitness in the lower 1/3 of the Aimpoint and I think that's the best red dot set up on the market.  I find the EoTech circle too busy.  

I just want a simple 4MOA red dot adjustable for brightness.   Me and my AR will do the rest.  Speed under distress comes with practice, not a circle of dots.

Aimpoint.
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 8:02:57 AM EDT
[#36]
Aimpoint because without glasses I see the Eotech reticle as one fu..... big glowing
dot (reminds of the LOTR eye of Sauron). But I have to admit the Eotech is faster
to turn on and turns on at a useable brightness.
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 9:01:13 AM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:
...I see the Eotech reticle as one fu..... big glowing dot (reminds of the LOTR eye of Sauron).

Link Posted: 3/15/2006 9:36:25 AM EDT
[#38]

I personally prefer the EOTech but the real answer is to try both and buy the one that works best for you!  

Link Posted: 3/15/2006 11:06:44 AM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:
Aimpoint because without glasses I see the Eotech reticle as one fu..... big glowing
dot (reminds of the LOTR eye of Sauron). But I have to admit the Eotech is faster
to turn on and turns on at a useable brightness.

It's much faster for me to slap my palm across the knob on an Aimpoint than it is for me to find the button on an EOTech and push HARD to get it to come on.

I slide my palm across the Aimpoint knob and it goes to about the 6th brightness setting which is easily usable for most situations.  
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 11:17:36 AM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 11:27:41 AM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 12:49:47 PM EDT
[#42]
+1
Just leave the Aimpoint on. The one on my turkey shotgun has been on since '03. This will be my 4th season with it, and it's the ML2 with advertised 10,000 hrs. I'm just waiting to see how long it will actually last. Of course I have a spare in my vest.
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 2:42:43 PM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 5:04:47 PM EDT
[#44]
Look at trhe target, not the dot.

What are the specific advantages of the Aimpoint?
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 5:15:11 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:
Look at trhe target, not the dot.

What are the specific advantages of the Aimpoint?

Specific advantages?

50,000 hour battery life in the new generation of Aimpoints.

Easier and faster controls.

Lens Caps.  If mud, dust, or dirt covers my rifle, it won't cover my lenses and force me to clean my optic before firing my rifle.

More/better mounting options.

Spare battery storage ON the optic if you use the double battery cap.

The dot doesn't look like a big fuzzy conglomeration to half the people who use one.  I never had a problem with the EOTech, but new users always have to get accustomed to focusing on the target instead of the reticle.

No wimpy crossbolt to accidentally strip or break.

With the EOTech, you have to make sure you don't mount the optic too close to your BUIS, or you can't access the controls.

Link Posted: 3/15/2006 5:41:38 PM EDT
[#46]
I am not baggin on the Aimpoint.

The Eotech works best for me.
I have a TD grip so I have extra batteries right next to my hand.
I am not rich so I can't spend $350 - 400 on the optic and then another $100 for the mount.
Half the people don't know how to shoot correctly if they can't lean how to focus on the target. If they can't do that there's a lot worse skills a new shooter needs to learn anyway.

Link Posted: 3/15/2006 5:44:01 PM EDT
[#47]
Use what works for you.  Try both and see which you prefer.  I couldn't make up my mind so I bought an EoTech and an Aimpoint and ran them both.

FWIW, I wound up with a Compact ACOG.
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 5:44:48 PM EDT
[#48]
Any shooter who is accustomed to shooting with irons will focus on the front sight, not the target.  It is only natural that this shooter will assume he/she needs to focus on the reticle.

Link Posted: 3/15/2006 6:20:57 PM EDT
[#49]
I wish I could try ANYTHING.  I live in Northern Maine.  I don't think there is an Aimpoint or EOTech within 250 Miles of me...
 Nevermind a Compact ACOG
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 6:34:58 PM EDT
[#50]
Eotech owners... is it true that you can't see the Eo reticle if you're wearing polarized sunglasses? Someone was telling me that, and knowing that my digital watch and certain LCD devices appear blank, I was wondering if there's any truth to this. Happily no problems using my M2 with my prescription and polarized glasses!
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top