Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 3/13/2006 9:59:43 AM EDT
When I installed my aimpoint, I canted it to the left (in the ring) for easier access to adjust the dot.

Anyways, had a guy tell me this was a horrible thing; I'd lose zero, the aimpoint would mess up, the world would end, etc.

I haven't had any problem with zero; but I'm always willing to learn. Anyone know if the guy is right?
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 10:30:15 AM EDT
[#1]
if the aimpoint is like this X instead of like this + you will have zero problems

lets say you zero at 50yds or 25, out futher you will have a messed up zero since you elevation is diagonal and your dot will be as well in correlation to bullet drop
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 10:32:07 AM EDT
[#2]
I'm certain your method will work just fine, provided your eyes are like .......

Mike
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 11:09:53 AM EDT
[#3]
The only problems you will have will be with the adjustments, they will not track vertically or horizontally but at an angle.
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 11:18:05 AM EDT
[#4]
I'll try it out. How would you suggest lining up the aimpoint for perfect + ? I could eyeball it, but wondering if you have a method, or know of one.
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 11:20:02 AM EDT
[#5]
use a level on the flat surface on the top of it
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 1:57:59 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
I'll try it out. How would you suggest lining up the aimpoint for perfect + ? I could eyeball it, but wondering if you have a method, or know of one.

Go to the hardware and purchase yourself one or two "string-levels", (I use two, but one is plenty and prefer the aluminum cased Stanley's, oh yea ya can snip the actual string holders off).

Place on on the flat top and level the upper on a benchrest, then place it on the "flat" of the elevation knob and set it to be level with the upper, easy to do and relatively cheap.

Note: works for squaring up scopes of all types to receivers and bolt rifles of all brands.

Mike
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 6:03:35 AM EDT
[#7]
nevermind.  searched and found.

dvo
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 6:46:07 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Note: works for squaring up scopes of all types to receivers and bolt rifles of all brands.

Mike

Thanks Mike. I'll give this a try later today.
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 9:36:24 PM EDT
[#9]
I mounted mine in the 'left-handed' position.  Makes sense to me for support hand manipulation of the rotary switch.  AFAIK the earth is still rotating properly...
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 10:51:41 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
I mounted mine in the 'left-handed' position.  Makes sense to me for support hand manipulation of the rotary switch.  AFAIK the earth is still rotating properly...

Finished remounting and rezeroing. Eh, not much, but at least its on there right.
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 9:14:14 AM EDT
[#11]
You should have no problems with your AP mounted this way.  

As a right handed, but left eye dominant shooter, who prefers to shoot left-handed, I just set up my new M3 with the on/off controls toward the left side of the GG&G Accucam Cantilevered mount (which is great, btw, and really the only way to position the AP in this mount), also.

After studying the Owners Manual for the AP and if I understand it all correctly (I believe I do), your windage adjustments in the left side turret are now reversed.  That is to say your left side turret, as now installed, will indicate "UP-L" with the arrow pointing in a COUNTER-clockwise direction, however you and I will need to turn the dial CLOCKWISE to adjust our windage to the left, now.  

The elevation adjustments in the topside turret will not change.

Read the manual for mounting in this manner and report back if you confirm or disagree, please.  Inquiring minds need to know!  Thanks.
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top