Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 3/11/2006 3:53:11 AM EDT
I just got an EoTech and I really like the way it points.  I have been playing with where it is mounted and just tried this:

I don't think I remember seeing it mounted like this very often.  Any disadvantage besides forward weight?  Will the heat from the gas tube and barrel being right underneath hurt the EoTech?  The rails for the reciever and handguard are at slightly different heights.  So I can't mount it half on receiver, half on handguard.

I like the sight picture just fine when mounted on the upper receiver....but its cramped to the back up sight and kinda anoying to use the EoTech controls.  I guess since it it the AA batteries model I should just turn it on and forget about it while at the range, and quit my bitchin.

Suggestions?

Pic of it cramped with the rear sight.  Rear sight is mounted as far back as it can go. I took of the nylon cord wrapping on my handguard and am now able to mount it a little further forward, but that means that about 40% of the EoTech is attached to nothing but air.
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 4:16:27 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 6:27:57 AM EDT
[#2]
i would not mount anything that requires a "zero" to the surefire handguards since they are not freefloated and susceptable to movement. dont own eotechs but did own the surefire rail and it sits lower than the flattop so wouldnt that cause the fsb to more in the window?

Link Posted: 3/11/2006 9:26:05 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
i would not mount anything that requires a "zero" to the surefire handguards since they are not freefloated and susceptable to movement. dont own eotechs but did own the surefire rail and it sits lower than the flattop so wouldnt that cause the fsb to more in the window?

Yes.  I did notice that.  It is only a few mm's, enought to notice, but not enough to hinder operation..at least for me.  I have not had a chance yet to hit the range withe the new EoTech.  I will probably try a couple mounting places when I hit the range.
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 10:42:47 AM EDT
[#4]
I placed my EO on my Surefire foregrip rail when I was looking for a way to use it with the tac carry handle, but concurred with the advice I got here about it not holding zero there, or at least a chance of it shifting and throwing zero off. Maybe not a critical issue if you only punch paper with it for fun, but if you ever plan to use it for self defense I'd go with a more stable mounting platform. I went with the RRA Dominator mount and love it. Works perfectly with the iron sights and shouldn't have any problems with zero shift...

Fwiw though, I'd cramp it on with the BUIS on the flattop before I'd put it on the Surefire rail...

Link Posted: 3/11/2006 11:43:18 AM EDT
[#5]
Yeah.  This is my SHTF AR.  I put it back on the upper receiver rail.

Thanks guys.
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top