Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 3/9/2006 8:25:36 PM EDT
I have been using EOTechs on ARs for a year or so now, and I've used the RRA Dominator on one, and an ARMS #40 with no riser on another.  Both have been perfect, and the front sight has never bothered me at all...

UNTIL just the other day, I was taking the fluted mid-length barrel off my upper, and I got stupid and put the EOTech back on after the front sight tower was removed...  WOW that was a great sight picture!  Now I just can't get past that stupid front sight!  I see it more than ever, and now I want the front sight on this one build to go away!

I'll be using a DD 9.0 on a CMMG 14.5" mid-length, and I do have an ad posted on WTT for a DD 12.0, but I just don't know if I want "that" look anyway.  So I'm thinking about a picatinny gas block or a PRI folding front sight/gas block combo.  But I've never handled or used one, and I don't know if I'm going to like it or regret it.

The reason this is a big deal is, since the barrel is 14.5" I of course have to send it off to have the flash suppressor permanently installed before I even feel comfortable bringing it home.  (The barrel is at someone's house who doesn't own any ARs, so no lowers to be "illegal SBR")  Once I make the decision, I'm going to be stuck with it on that particular rifle...  

SO tell me please, what are the pros and cons of the barrel mounted PRI folding front sight?

THanks for the input
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 8:48:38 PM EDT
[#1]
I have no experience with the PRI either but I'm with you on a folding BUIS.

For my flat-top build I went with a pic railed gas block with a YHM pic gas block mounted folding iron sight and ARMS 40 rear and will order an EOTech 512 soon.

I like the option of being able to fold the BUIS down out of the way of the EOTech if I choose to.

Link Posted: 3/9/2006 8:49:24 PM EDT
[#2]
Its not totally rigid in the up position it has some play, not that it affects accuracy that much but I found it annoying.  Its not super fast to get up and when your barrel gets very hot it will burn you to deploy it if you are not wearing gloves.  It is not as sturdy as a pinned FSB and I had to tighten my screws every few range sessions.  I loved the picture with it folded and the hooded front sight... I just did not like the PRI as a whole and would not buy another.  It will NOT take those front sight tools that have A1 or A2 rear adjustments on one side and A2 front sight adjustments on the other.  Its opening is too small.  I had to use a punch to adjust the front sight and it was a pain.  I wish they made a version that had less play in the up position, did not lock in the down position (so it was easy to flip up), and required taper pins to install.  Untill they make that I will stick to rail mounted front sights like Troy if I want to get a folder and keep the pinned front sight base.
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 8:53:10 PM EDT
[#3]
mine has no play? and it isn't locked in the down position? and I have never burnt my hands after locking it up...?

maybe im confused
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 9:15:45 PM EDT
[#4]
Thanks for the in-depth review DevL... That's definitely not the first time I've read someone say their PRI wobbles.  And I agree that it's crazy to have it "locked" in the down postion.  A ball detent that held it in place until you pulled on it would be better.

Quoted:
mine has no play? and it isn't locked in the down position? and I have never burnt my hands after locking it up...?

maybe im confused

Is your the barrel mounted version?  

Quoted:
I have no experience with the PRI either but I'm with you on a folding BUIS.

For my flat-top build I went with a pic railed gas block with a YHM pic gas block mounted folding iron sight and ARMS 40 rear and will order an EOTech 512 soon.

I like the option of being able to fold the BUIS down out of the way of the EOTech if I choose to.

The YHM single-rail gas block is another consideration.  One could always hope Samson might make a gas block mounted version one day  

I'd really like to find one of the older "set screw" YHM front sight/gas blocks.  I don't like the new 4-screw clamp with the bayonet lug.  It looks too bulky.

Thanks for the input so far...  
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 9:22:28 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 9:40:40 PM EDT
[#6]
Tag....I was just about to buy one.  it is the only flipup that they make a skinny barrel version of i think...
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 10:05:47 PM EDT
[#7]
Thanks for saving me the dissapointment, guys.  I'll figure out some other option, rather than PRI's sight.
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 4:20:14 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Thanks for saving me the dissapointment, guys.  I'll figure out some other option, rather than PRI's sight.

What really pissed me off about the PRI sight was it WOULD NOT ZERO AT 50 YARDS WITH AN ARMS 40 rear sight.  After all the proud photos of SPR builds shown here, I felt ripped off because no one had mentioned zeroing issues.  The pos is in my junk box for now.

Paladin
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 5:34:18 AM EDT
[#9]
Thanks again for the input gentlemen...

So next question for those of us who WON'T be buying a barrel mounted PRI now.

I know about the rifle length tube over lowproGB and a rail mounted sight, but are there any other barrel mounted or gas block mounted options that are better?

I'd like to see a YHM flip front sight that uses the single screw clamps like their new single rail gas block (think PRI).

The older set screw YHM flip front/gas block could be pinned in place, but they don't make that anymore.

Thanks again!
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 12:04:50 PM EDT
[#10]
I agree with almost every comment DevL posted about the PRI and have one myself. The only difference is I had MSTN install mine and so far it has not come loose. I would witness mark the hex screws anyway just for good measure though.

However, the one thing that is really nice about it is you can align sights very quickly with the full hood - kind of circle within a circle and then put the post where you want .223 holes to appear. I really love the sight picture, enough that I am willing to put up with all of the other issues.

In practical terms the rig has not yet been any less accurate or reliable than my fixed FSB; but I don't have near the same rounds through it yet either and I baby this rig a bit more.
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 2:37:41 PM EDT
[#11]
i have two and have never had a problem with them.

one on a .625 and the other on a .750

both are on the barrel tight and dont think they are going anywhere, after zeroing and making sure the gas port was aligned perfectly i red locktited them and ever since they have not come apart. the skinny bbl. has around 5-6k through it since the fsb install. i do see where it could burn you after a shooting session and trying to deploy the sight but there are numerous ways to avoid being burnt, like using a whatever is laying around to lift it.

mine locks in the up pos and has slight "play" in it but i wouldnt call it a wobble.

i guess i must be really lucky to get the two that work so well and that i installed it so good.
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 7:52:50 PM EDT
[#12]
So do yours lock in the "down" position too or just up?

Thanks again!
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 4:22:00 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 6:19:20 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
So do yours lock in the "down" position too or just up?

Thanks again!

when new it was a bit hard to deploy it but after some clp it only locked in the up position.
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 6:20:12 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
Huh, didnt know so many people had issues with them. I have a few of them and like them quite a bit. There is play in the front sight when it is up, but I never really let it bother me. I like barrel mounted front sights over rail mounted front sights. Not that the difference is dramatic or anything, but the barrel mounted ones are (a little) better.

i too feel more comfortable with bbl. mounted front sights over rail mounted ones, less to go wrong.
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 7:26:38 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
Tag....I was just about to buy one.  it is the only flipup that they make a skinny barrel version of i think...

I've been bugging Yankee Hill to make one.
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 10:12:01 PM EDT
[#17]
The GG&G sight is worth the wait on a build that maters. No looseness, no wobble, original sight picture and no alignment / zero problem. I am surprised to hear the PRI is almost as much money.
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 7:39:20 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 7:44:25 AM EDT
[#19]
wow, really surprised. I have mine, barrel mounted, and it is a great sight. No play, doesn't lock in the down position, zeroed with my wilson rear buis just fine..

sorry to hear the complications you guys are having..

I would call Dave @ PRI and address the concerns some of you are having, he will take care of you 110%.
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 9:38:53 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
You could always cut your FSP down and use the Samson folding front sight....  I don't even like folding front sights, but I find myself drawn to this one....

img362.imageshack.us/img362/5471/6point8action3ed.jpg

That's close to my other option right now...  

I don't like the looks of an exposed gas block with the regular length forend and rail mounted sight, but I do like the low pro gas block and rifle length tube with a rail mounted sight.  I've had LOTS of response from members who will trade me a DD 12.0 for my 9.0.  I'm actually waiting to hear about a used DD 12.0 for sale, so I can "try both" and see if I like the rifle length tube.  If not, I've still got the other one.  

Fortunately, I'm thinking ahead, so my flash suppressor is not permanently attached yet.  (The barrel is also stored at a non-AR owner's house )

If I go with the rifle length tube, I will most likely go with the Samson.  I still like the PRI too, so the PRI rail mounted is a close second.  I consider the sight picture of both to be a BIG plus from the standard pitchfork.

I looked at the Samson barrel mounted sight, but that thing is a KLUGE compared to the 100% nail on the head the rail mounted one is...

Set screws?  Everyone HATED the set screws on the PRI unless their barrel had flats.

And I know it probably saved money on having to manufacture a different height of arm, but unless you have the Samson rail, that big, honking base would look ridiculous.

I think it was a HUGE mistake to design a BARREL MOUNTED front sight that integrates INSIDE of extended length forends!  Except for people who already have that specific Samson extended rail, who the heck is going to choose that setup over the less expensive route of a plain rifle length forend and the rail mounted sight?

I think Samson should consider a gas block mounted sight that works EXACTLY like the rail mounted one, just with the longer arm.  He could use the same base as the rail mount to save money there.  I also think a serious re-do of the barrel mounted version is in order.  I guess the proof will be in the SALES.

Thanks again for all the input...  I'm still completely undecided as yet, but at least I am more aware of what I'm getting myself into with each of the options.  

P.S. -  Can anyone tell me if there is any noticeable weight difference between the PRI barrel mounted front sight and a standard front sight base?  Among other things, I'm figuring to see what will change the rifle's balance more, the rifle forend/rail sight combo or just adding the PRI.

Thanks again
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top