Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 3/9/2006 7:52:41 PM EDT
I'm building my 1st AR.  I can't decide to go with a scope or an eotech.  I'm mostly going to use the gun for predator hunting and killing evil people if a SHTF day comes.   So how far out are holographic sights good for?  Any info would be greatly appreciated.
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 3:46:18 AM EDT
[#1]
IMHO, an EOTech would be optimum for distances of ~ 100 yds. and less.  A scope (ACOG!) will provide better results past 100 yds.

Ed
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 6:57:00 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
I'm building my 1st AR.  I can't decide to go with a scope or an eotech.  I'm mostly going to use the gun for predator hunting and killing evil people if a SHTF day comes.   So how far out are holographic sights good for?  Any info would be greatly appreciated.

coues7,
I have messed with a few sights for about only 25 years now, and I would suggest that maybe you check out some of the EOTech sights. I have messed with thermal imaging sights, and many IR sights also in the Army. I have 2 of their models, the 551 and 552 and they are easy as heck to set up to blast out the bullseye at 100 yds in a few minutes. Around here there are not too many places out of the city that I can test the EOTech's out past 100 yds, but I would think that 200 to 300 yds should be OK for them. They are very rugged, lightweight and dependable from my testing / shooting, and you know they must be pretty damn good if EOTech is and has been getting their stuff to the troops, who are using them with their lives on the line. This is just my 2 cents, many, many others will work fine and I am sure there are many who have their picks for whatever SHTF or other hunting.
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 11:26:19 PM EDT
[#3]
I'm finding that there's definitely a learning curve going from scopes to holographic sights... or at least to the EOTech. It's easy to pick up on using the EO though once you know how to use it. I was focusing on the reticle like I always have with scopes and doing ok, but was feeling like I was missing something somehow given how everyone raves about the speed of an EO. It wasn't until after I read in a thread here that I should be using both eyes and focusing on the target, and just letting the reticle superimpose over the target that I realized the potential of the EO. Focusing on the target and putting the reticle where it needs to be is lightning fast, smoother, and easier. I'm surely not as fast as experienced EO users, but I am at least understanding what they mean when they talk about it's speed and accuracy.

And I don't see why you couldn't use the EO with great results out to 100 yards and maybe even more depending on the size of the predators you plan to hunt. Since I started focusing on the target I've gained a lot more confidence in it's longer range capabilities. It's all in using it the way it was intended to be used.

I've got a ways to go before I'll be what I'd call proficient with the EO, but I've seen enough that I'm impressed.
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 12:58:36 PM EDT
[#4]
Nearly all photos I've seen here and from the sandbox show the Eotechs being used/mounted with the FSB in place. Is the front post "ghosted" by the use of both eyes so that it does not interfere with the sight picture or is it required for fill accuracy? I guess what I am asking is that the holo does not act as much as a scope as it does replace the rear aperature?

I checked one out at a local gun show and it seemed like the dot could be moved around by head movement even if the rifle was held stationary. Sorry for sounding stupid about the holo sights but I've been shooting high-powered scopes on bolt-actions for far too long to understand easily
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 1:40:50 PM EDT
[#5]
I use an EOTech on a shotgun with no front sight.  The EOTech is a stand-alone item.  On the reticle moving as you move your head; that's the beauty of a holographic sight!  You don't need a consistant cheek weld to get a reliable sight picture.  The dot is on the point of impact as long as you can see the dot.
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 1:58:27 PM EDT
[#6]
Wow, sounds too simple to be true. Guess I'll get that flip-up FSB mounted and get me an EO.
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 4:12:25 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Nearly all photos I've seen here and from the sandbox show the Eotechs being used/mounted with the FSB in place. Is the front post "ghosted" by the use of both eyes so that it does not interfere with the sight picture or is it required for fill accuracy? I guess what I am asking is that the holo does not act as much as a scope as it does replace the rear aperature?

I checked one out at a local gun show and it seemed like the dot could be moved around by head movement even if the rifle was held stationary. Sorry for sounding stupid about the holo sights but I've been shooting high-powered scopes on bolt-actions for far too long to understand easily

As was mentioned in the last reply, where the dot is, the bullet goes once you sight it in, regardless of where in the window the dot is. That is the awesome beauty of a holo sight for me. Means if I'm trying to fire from behind cover, or from a position that doesn't allow for cheek weld, if I can get the dot in sight I can aim my rifle. That's also part of why the EO is so fast on target. No need to align with the window or worry about eye relief to get a clear view, as with a scope. No need to cheek weld (I still do, but wouldn't be forced to in ALL instances) as with the irons. Just look at the target, throw the rifle up, superimpose the reticle over the target and BOOM. You say it sounds too simple to be true... It really is that simple... but it is true. Awesome sight for combat use.
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 2:55:57 PM EDT
[#8]
I have a HDS-511 on my AR and love it. It is like a video game, just point and shoot. Were ever the dot is that is wher the bullet will hit.
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 2:40:10 AM EDT
[#9]
In my neck of the woods, it's tough to find eotechs, acogs, etc. to look through.

I've got a tasco optima on my glock, and had one of their first gen tube-style propoints.  

How big is the eotech's window compared to these types of sights?  I've always thought it looked pretty dinky when I've seen the reticle pics on this site.

Also, with the roll bars and frame around the lens...does that block a lot of sight picture when you are looking down range...or does it fairly well disappear when you are actually shooting, both eyes on target?
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 5:06:47 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
...  It is like a video game, just point and shoot. Were ever the dot is that is wher the bullet will hit.

That is the best part of using an EOtech. I love mine.
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 8:49:18 AM EDT
[#11]
I like the EO 552 a lot.  So much that I bought one and turned my issue M68 back into the arms room. So far, a desert proof sight.   Money well spent, although my wife probably doesn't agree.
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 2:13:51 PM EDT
[#12]
With practice, the EOTech will be sufficient at longer ranges.  I've used mine (552) mounted on a 14.5in 1/7 barrel out to 500+ meters.
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 2:20:16 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
IMHO, an EOTech would be optimum for distances of ~ 100 yds. and less.  A scope (ACOG!) will provide better results past 100 yds.

Ed

I agree.  I have hit bowling pins at 160 yards with an Eotech, but I've also missed them too at that distance.
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 2:59:43 PM EDT
[#14]
army issue the m68 cco, close combat optic, which is an aimpoint.  eotech vs. aimpoint is like superman or batman, both will do the job, but have different strenghts & weaknesses.  get what you like & what you can feel good with.  

I had an eotech and could not open both eyes, but with the m68 I can.  my swat buddy is just the opposite.  
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 8:50:04 AM EDT
[#15]
If it is not too bright out and you can adjust the brightness down a bit I'd say 250-300m is not out of the question.  I shoot 4-6" groups at 100 meters or so, and on alt C I can plink away and hit the 300m 90+% of the time.  If I put my BUIS up on my bushy M4gery I'd say I can shoot 30% better then with irons on little alt C's like that.

The 1 moa dot is more precise then a front sight post-because of the hologram sight picture and sight alignment are minimal issues.  Instead of five elements of marksmanship, more like three.  

Your milage may vary and so forth but I would not consider it a CQB sight.  Chiefly due to the fineness of the center dot.  I'd feel pretty comfortable out to 300m with it.
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 9:04:27 AM EDT
[#16]
I just got my new 512F in, adjusted it to fit the irons, then removed the FSB and installed the YHM flip FSB. Wont be able to shoot her until this weekend but amd looking forward to it greatly. The differences beteween bright and dim settings are astonishing. I can make it so dim it is hard to see at night or so bright that it becomes a blob in direct sunlight. Pretty cool bit-of-kit I must say!
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top