Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 3/6/2006 1:38:39 PM EDT
Hey all,

I would like to start checking out some optics for my A2 Sporter Lwt..  Even though I would LOVE to have one, I cannot afford an ACOG or an Aimpoint.  So I thought I would ask about other Red Dot scope options that are out there.  What would be a good choice for those of us out here wanting an optic but not able to afford the CREME?  If you couldn't have your PREMIER optics what would you settle for on your AR?
Thanks again for the information and help.  I have been learning a lot since coming back and spending some time here.  Sorry I stayed away so long.

Nala

P.S.  I tried reading the link about "cheap scopes" posted in the STICKY at the head of the thread list, but the link was dead.
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 2:09:07 PM EDT
[#1]
EOTechs are the next best thing (~$300-$350).

You might try a TacPoint as well.

I wouldn't go REAL cheap like the $30-$50 route...you're asking for more frustration than it's worth.

My buddy did pick up a Simmons 1.5-5x shotgun scope (non-illuminated) that seems to do well on his M4.
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 2:16:14 PM EDT
[#2]
i have an eotech and aimpoint, and for me I like the aimpoint.  there are alot of aimpoints on EE now too.  if you go the aimpoing route, spend the cash and get a larue mount.
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 2:35:14 PM EDT
[#3]
Save up for the real deal and get good with iron sights in the meantime. Trust me, if you buy cheap shit it is money down the drain. I spent years trying to cut corners and all I got was burned.
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 6:27:43 AM EDT
[#4]
You can get the Grantpoint (SPOT) from G&R Tactical.
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 8:11:36 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Save up for the real deal and get good with iron sights in the meantime. Trust me, if you buy cheap shit it is money down the drain. I spent years trying to cut corners and all I got was burned.

+1
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 8:23:02 AM EDT
[#6]
Since we're on the subject, whats everyones opinions on scopes in the $150-$250 range for plinking? No more than 300 yards. Thanks.....
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 9:26:13 AM EDT
[#7]
Just to add another,

I have a few Ultradot sights, and they are a very good sight for not much money.  I'm suprised they are not mentioned more often.  I do not know about their water resistant/proof ness, but I haven't had one loose zero yet.  That includes several thousand rounds of .45acp  through a 1911 with the scope mounted on the slide.
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 9:49:00 AM EDT
[#8]
You coud probably get the new Burris dot sight for roughly $200 and a used Aimpoint QRP mount on the EE for about $50. That would be a decent setup for low $$$.
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 11:36:31 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Since we're on the subject, whats everyones opinions on scopes in the $150-$250 range for plinking? No more than 300 yards. Thanks.....

Burris 1.5-5x Fullfield II w/ German reticle = $170
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 3:34:10 PM EDT
[#10]
I put an Eotech on mine. A 551. I like it for the price, and I didn't have to spend another $100 or so for a mount. Sets low on my flat top and I like the co witness with my buis.
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 3:42:34 PM EDT
[#11]
Gotta recommend the SPOT!!!!

Less than $160.00, and in stock, ready for shipping.
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 6:52:45 PM EDT
[#12]
I have seen some Leatherwood scopes in the $200 range, are they of good quality?
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top