Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 3/5/2006 3:04:17 PM EDT
I'm an iron-sighter, always have been from .22's to 30-06's.

But, I got the reloading disease and everyone says in order to really rate your reloads, you NEED a scope. Hmmph, ok.

I put a BEC Gold Label 3-12x 44mm lighted recticle (parallax adjustments) on top of an A2 carry handle AR 20"....the iron sights are set dead-on accurate.

I sight the scope in at the 25yd range....pretty cool, shots going thru the same hole. Then I try my hand at the 100yd range.
Oops....the shots are grouping waaaaay high...like 12-15'' high.

Question: does this mean that the scope would be zeroed for 300yd , just like zeroing iron sights. Or does is the parallax adjustment supposed to keep it zeroed at different distances?

Remember now, I'm new at this glass thing....and know its not a Leupold.. so go easy.
I wouldn't know an ACOG from a Cogswell Cog, ok.
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 3:15:33 PM EDT
For sights about 2" above the bore, you should be 3" high or so at 100 yards if you are zeroed at 25.
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 3:18:16 PM EDT
Parallax of the cross wires is their apparent displacement when the eye changes its position, caused by their not being exactly in the focus of the object glass. It has nothing to do with changing zeros at various yardages.
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 3:18:24 PM EDT
A couple other things. Grouping high is probably exaggerated by the scope being so high above the bore. With some of the more inexpensive scopes, recoil can click your scope turrets. I was trying to sight in a Blazer scope. I would get it set, but the bullets would always return to the same spot. The adjustments I made kept backing themselves out.

Top Top