Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 3/5/2006 12:55:58 PM EDT
I'm considering getting a TA-31F.

A few questions for you TA-31F owners please:

1)  Any major issues/downsides to this optic in your opinion?
2)  Are cracks in the fiber optic "normal"?
3)  Is a used TA-31F in excellent condition (and with fiber optic cracks) worth $800?

I'd appreciate your candid/honest feedback.

Thank you.  

ETA:
I found the TA-31F for $889 new, so I answered question # 3 already myself.
Removed question #4
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 1:19:30 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:

I don't really see any. It might not be the "Best" GP optic avialable (That position belongs to the S&B Short Dot), but for the money it's tough to beat.

Quoted:

Yes, and 99.99% of the time they do not hurt a thing.

Quoted:
3)  Is a used TA-31F in excellent condition (and with fiber optic cracks) worth $800?"

It's a decent price, but I have seen used ACOG's w/LaRue or ARMS mounts go for $825-$850

Quoted:
4)  What is the lowest price I can find used?

Same answer as #3
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 5:38:37 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

None.

Quoted:

Yup.

I shoot my rifle with the TA31F more than any other rifle I own. Part of the reason being that I really like the rifle and part of the reason being that I really like the ACOG.

Link Posted: 3/6/2006 9:54:54 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I don't really see any. It might not be the "Best" GP optic avialable (That position belongs to the S&B Short Dot), but for the money it's tough to beat.

Quoted:

Yes, and 99.99% of the time they do not hurt a thing.

Quoted:
3)  Is a used TA-31F in excellent condition (and with fiber optic cracks) worth $800?"

It's a decent price, but I have seen used ACOG's w/LaRue or ARMS mounts go for $825-$850

Quoted:
4)  What is the lowest price I can find used?

Same answer as #3

+1
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 11:08:04 PM EDT
[#4]
I got mine with a crack used on ebay for 700. I thought it was a good deal. Downside to the acog is as a fixed 4 power its slower in cqb situations. I only use it as a long range sight. I have it on a set of larue mounts in my patrol bag. I have it sighted in.  If I feel the need for a longer range optic than my Eotech. I simply remove the Eotech with its GG&G mount and replace it with the ACOG.  Thats the theory anyway. Its not something you could do in the heat of a gun fight. But if you have prep time it would be feasable. If not the Eotech is fine for most things I need a 16 inch Colt 6920 to do.
Pat
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 1:26:31 AM EDT
[#5]
Is the TA31F calibrated for 20" rifles or 16" carbines?
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 5:31:36 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Is the TA31F calibrated for 20" rifles or 16" carbines?

check the second post in this tacked thread
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 10:49:35 AM EDT
[#7]
Thank you Gentlemen, very helpful...
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top