Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 3/4/2006 7:01:55 AM EDT
Hey all,

I have a Colt AR with a carry handle and I have been thinking about adding some type of optics to make it more fun to shoot at the range.  I was reading an article in the AR-15 magazine that came out months ago and the article talked about NOT mounting optics on a carry handle and that it didn't work very well.  The author suggested that you buy one of the mounts that attaches to the carry handle and mount your optic on that.  Well I checked out some of them and they are really expensive.  I might as well save a bit more and get a new upper if I was going to spend that much on a new mount.
So I would like to know if it is a good idea to mount one of those red dot scopes to my carry handle.  What have you all done with your AR's with carry handles?  Do you just use the iron sights or have you mounted optics on your carry handle?

Thanks for the help.

Nala
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 7:30:58 AM EDT
[#1]
compact acog - yay
armson oeg - yay
anything else - nay
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 8:04:30 AM EDT
[#2]
Carry handle optics may aid shooting with a gas mask on.

Some may not need this, others may find they like it.  

Link Posted: 3/4/2006 8:07:39 AM EDT
[#3]
I have one of those $20 inmatation colt 4x20's that connects directly to the carry handle. It's OK for $20. I haven't used it extensivley or roughly.
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 9:29:36 AM EDT
[#4]
You have to remember, at one point in time this was the only method of mounting optics…..and that time was not very long ago. With the adoption of flattop upper receivers the carry handle mounted optic has fallen to the way side and is not as popular anymore. But that does not mean this method of mounting optics is no longer functional.

When I built my 80’s/90’s retro carbine I had full intention of mounting an Aimpoint to the carry handle. This was the only method of mounting optics during that time period and my only exception was using an Aimpoint ML2 instead of an Aimpoint 3000.

I’ll admit that this method does provide for a slightly higher cheek weld, but it’s not so much that it makes the rifle uncomfortable to fire or impossible to use.  I think most folks who are nay sayers to the CH mounted optics feel this way simply because it no longer looks “cool”. An ACOG, yea that’s “cool”!  And if you have a $700-$800 optic mounted on your CH that’s gotta make you look “cool“. An Aimpoint, ahhh everyone has an Aimpoint. It’s just not cool anymore to have one mounted on your CH…….but mounted on a “bling-bling” decked out AR with A3 flattop upper……now that’s a different story. That’s “cool”!

I don’t buy it. Yes, I too have an M4gery with a Aimpoint mounted using a PRI mount, but my CAR with CH mounted Aimpoint functions just as well.

Link Posted: 3/4/2006 9:53:44 AM EDT
[#5]
Nice Rig QuiB, I have a A2 w/20" bbl. I am currently looking at putting a 1.5-4.5X 20  compact scope on it. I am just waiting for it as it was out of stock currently. Have you tried any compact scopes on your Rifle other than an Aimpoint?
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 10:16:11 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Nice Rig QuiB, I have a A2 w/20" bbl. I am currently looking at putting a 1.5-4.5X 20  compact scope on it. I am just waiting for it as it was out of stock currently. Have you tried any compact scopes on your Rifle other than an Aimpoint?

Thanks. No I haven’t tried any other optics with my rifle. I wanted to stick with the Aimpoint.
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 10:22:16 AM EDT
[#7]
I like the A.R.M.S.® #39™ A2 Plus Mount for mounting an Aimpoint in front of the carry handle.

www.mountsplus.com/miva/merchant.mvc?page=MSP/PROD/arms/39

The main body of the A2 Plus mount locks into both the carry handle channel and the handle front support, utilizing two A.R.M.S.® self locking thumbnuts. The capability provides rigid support of the dovetail platform that is extended over the hand guards; just like the patented Swan® Super Extended Sleeve. The A2 Plus mount comes with the A.R.M.S.®/Swan®/aka Mil-Std. 1913 rail machined to mate the top of the carry handle, much like the famous A.R.M.S.® #2 M16A1A2 Scope Mount. It provides dual mounting capabilities while maintaining the enhanced iron and optic see thru function. The bi-level mounting capability offers multiple combinations of attachments - no tools required. The mount also features a brush breaker at the front to prevent branches and other objects from wedging between the hand guards and the suspended rail. Optical and laser perfect parallel alignment are achieved, while eliminating head and vibrations that may be experienced in barrel mounting systems.

NOTE: It does not fit on detachable handles.
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 11:52:57 AM EDT
[#8]
I used to put my red dot on top of my CH.  It worked for me, but the only downside was it was a little difficult to zero the optic.  Course that may have something to do with my optic, but it may not.  I don't have the cool optic that I want yet...

Since then I have been able to configure my rifle the way I want it.  FWIW, I like this setup a lot better than having the optic on top the CH.  My only comment would be is make sure that the rings you use mount the optic high enough so that you get a quick sight picture, my current rings mount the optic a little too low.  I think I would like a lower third co-witness better.

My current configuration

Don
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 12:52:40 PM EDT
[#9]
From my experience with an optic on a CH, the best one's to use are the Aimpoint or an ACOG because they are parallax free.  

or

You can get a scope on the CH, but it is hard to maintain a good cheek weld position every time unless you get a Checkpiece like this one

Link Posted: 3/4/2006 1:19:32 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
You can get a scope on the CH, but it is hard to maintain a good cheek weld position every time unless you get a Checkpiece like this one
i51.photobucket.com/albums/f376/paulosantos/Checkpiece.jpg

I have to disagree. Even my 13 year old son has his optic on the CH and gets a good cheek weld. It’s just not the cheek weld most folks are used to, but adding a extra cheek rest, IMO is a waste of money.

Link Posted: 3/4/2006 3:04:03 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:
i51.photobucket.com/albums/f376/paulosantos/Checkpiece.jpg

I have to disagree. Even my 13 year old son has his optic on the CH and gets a good cheek weld. It’s just not the cheek weld most folks are used to, but adding a extra cheek rest, IMO is a waste of money.

www.hunt101.com/img/383470-big.jpg

I totally agree if you are putting an Aimpoint or ACOG because they are parallax free and you don't have to worry so much about having the same Cheeckweld position everytime.  I used it like your son and I got more of a chin weld , but that was just me and I didn't care becasue it was an Aimpoint.  But once I got my IOR 1.1X4, I later got the Checkpiece and I was able to maintain a Cheeck weld position.  This is just what I had to do and it might not work with everyone.  I was just sharing my experience.  I since chaged to an A3 upper anyway.
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 3:10:19 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
compact acog - yay
armson oeg - yay
anything else - nay

+1
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 4:12:40 AM EDT
[#13]
I had one of the inexpensive mounts that fit on the carry handle back in the late 80's. I mounted a 3x9 compact Leupold scope on it. It worked nicely and I personally liked the higher shooting position.
The thing you have to be careful about is having a scope with enough internal adjustments to bring it to the line of sight. Some scopes just want do it without shimming the rear rings.
JRandyH
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 1:14:46 PM EDT
[#14]
I bought a Hakko 4x21MM CH mount scope for my Colt AR-15A3.  Yes, it's a flat top.  i figured if it worked for me on the CH it would save me $$ on a BUIS.  It turns out that I didn't like the way that it felt on top of the CH.  I just got in an adapter that allows you to mount CH-type scopes to a flat top.  The adapter was made by Leapers but seems decent (and if not I'm only out $20).

I installed it this afternoon and I like the way the gun feels now.  I did have to get a different nut to secure the scope to the mount, because the one supplied by Leaper's did not match the Hakko's 1/4-20 threads.

The downside to this setup is that there is no room on the receiver to mount a BUIS.  So, if I keep this setup I'll stick the CH in my LBE.
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 11:36:46 AM EDT
[#15]
Right now I have my eotech mounted on the tactical carry handle of my RRA.  It is sort of midway between flat top height and traditional carry handle height.  It feels pretty natural there.  More so than on the flat top.

My thinking is, if you have a sight that uses heads up display technology, why mount it so low that you need to put your head down to view the reticle?  I can walk scanning with the rifle mounted on my shoulder, the rifle up in a position to fire, and my head up where I can use both eyes.

The downside of course is that your head is up another 1/2-1 inch when the bad guys are shooting at it.

Mike
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 12:46:40 PM EDT
[#16]
The compact acog works superbly as a carry handle optic. In fact, I like it better on a carry handle than on a mount.
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 6:48:27 PM EDT
[#17]
I'm also thinking of putting a Reflex 2 on top of the carry handle, but something keeps telling me to look at using an ARMS 39A2 Plus and put the sight forward. Any opinions on this configuration. Will it need a riser to be useful? It'll be used on a 20" A2 rifle. Any pictures of this setup....anyone ?
Thanks,
N2OGV
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 10:01:49 PM EDT
[#18]
I think it's okay as long as we acknowledge that what we're talking about here is really a lower-jaw weld, or even a chin weld (see photo above).  Cheek weld?  Heh -- seems my 18 month old son knows his face parts better than some here.
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 7:44:13 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
The compact acog works superbly as a carry handle optic. In fact, I like it better on a carry handle than on a mount.

+1

Link Posted: 3/10/2006 9:24:49 AM EDT
[#20]
I love my A1/39arms and ML2 set up alot!

Also have a LMT14.5 arms 40 and Eotech 551    still aimpoint set up is better

I had a 3.5x10x42 on my old A1 Bushy20hbar loved it! arms mount on carry handle
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 4:05:07 PM EDT
[#21]
I have my RRA Elite CAR A4 for a range gun and with 58yr old eyes and glasses, I've noticed that to sight through the stock sights I have to cant my head to the right.  No problem except, with an astigmatism, the images go out of round when I cock my head.  I've experimented and found that an optic mounted on top of the carry handle allows me to keep a good cheek weld with my head up and straight (and my sight picture correct).

Rather than spending a ton of $ for a 4x ACOG I went with a 6X scope I saw at CDNN.  It's not 'tactical' but it works well for what I bought it for, is solid as a rock, very clear, bright, sharp, and after over 800rds it hasn't moved a bit.  Best of all, it cost all of $70 delivered.  It serves me well out to 300yds (max at our range).  While it comes with both the mount for the base to mount on my flattop and to mount on my carry handle, I like the higher mount for the reasons stated above.

Best of all, I didn't pay a penny to make it look like something it isn't.  In addition, I also like the fact that it has a 3" - 3 1/2" eye relief rather than the ACOG's 1 1/2".  That helps me get a good, comfortable sight picture without feeling like I have to shove my glasses into the rear of the scope to get a decent look.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v726/Coloradoglocker/100_1576.jpg
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top