Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 3/1/2006 5:48:01 AM EDT
good day all,
i am looking into getting some optics for the ar i recently built...so far from the copious amounts of reading and research ive done im sure i want a 1x red dot type sight. ive narrowed it down the trijicon reflex, eotechs, or an aimpoint.  Ive shot the aimpoint and the eotech, but not the trijicon. I do indeed like both the aimpoint and the eotech and im confortable using either and im sure after i buy one il only get better with it. these three are vary similar (to me anyway) and i was wondering if there was a general consensus among users as to which optics is superior. I intend on keeping it on my AR for everyday use (woods walking/ personal defense), range trips, varmint hunting, and the occasional execution of an old computer or tv.

which sight is simpler to adjust and zero?

which gets the best battery life?

do aimpoint or trijicon offer optics that are AA powered?

i dont need NVG compatibility now, but it might be good to have in the future...which optics make nvg compatabile version and which one works best w/ nvg?

who has the best customer service/waranty repairs?

which one has the best warranty?

Im a glock guy so i have to ask this question...which one could i run over with my truck and still usehat
Which sight has the most compatible mounting systems for use on a flat-top upper?

who prefers which and why?

without the kind and knoweledgeable folks here at ARF my first Ar build (and first AR) wouldn't have made it past the bad idea stage....
thanks to all the ARF members for tolerating my super ultra noob questions and being so helpful!
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 5:57:50 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 6:02:35 AM EDT
[#2]
I can only speak on the eotech.  Eotech makes a NVG compatible model.  I have the eotech 552 which is NVG compatible.  The 552 model is the model that takes AA batteries.  I went with the AA battery model instead of N batteries since the AA batteries last for 900 hrs vs. 200 hrs.  The other NVG compatible eotech is the model 551 which takes N batteries.  Go to eotech website for all the specifics.

I looked through the aimpoint and trijicon prior to purchasing and in MY OPINION the eotech gave a faster target acquisition with still being able to focus on the target and not look through a scope.  Go with what you feel comfortable with.
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 6:52:17 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

which sight is simpler to adjust and zero? Both easy

which gets the best battery life? Aimpoint BY FAR. M2/ML2 10,000 (you can leave it on for a YEAR) M3/ML3 100,000 hours.  Eotech, 200-900 hrs depending on the model, that's it.

do aimpoint or trijicon offer optics that are AA powered? Eotech yes, aimpoint no, trijicon ?

i dont need NVG compatibility now, but it might be good to have in the future...which optics make nvg compatabile version and which one works best w/ nvg? Both have NVG versions for about $100 more

who has the best customer service/waranty repairs? Aimpoint has a lifetime warranty which they honor, Eotech has a limited two year warranty. Aimpont honors their warranty judiciously, don't know about eotech.

which one has the best warranty? see above

Im a glock guy so i have to ask this question...which one could i run over with my truck and still use or is that just a bad idea with optics? Aimpoint is more durable under most circumstance, in my experience.Billet aircraft grade aluminum vs Eotech's steel and plastic

Which sight has the most compatible mounting systems for use on a flat-top upper?More solutions for Aimpoint
who prefers which and why?Aimpoint, because of the above reasons, though I will admit eotech probably better for close in CQB work, Aimpoint is the better all around choice IMO.

Link Posted: 3/1/2006 2:28:42 PM EDT
[#4]
thanks..
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top