Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 2/26/2006 7:35:48 PM EDT
I've seen many threads on the Progressive Machine flip cap for the TA11 that allows the user to use this scope as an occluded gunsite at close range. After shooting my TA31 for almost a year, it became obvious that it was easy to shoot targets at more than 25 yards, but inside that distance, the moving backgroung in the scope when transitioning with the BAC was much harder than I thought (especially inside 15 yards) So, with TA31 in hand, I made a trip to my local gun shop to test fit numerous Butler Creek scope caps (probably more than a dozen) on the off chance one would work similar to the PM aluminum cap for the TA11. Eurkea! The #2 BC Blizzard objective cap was a perfect press fit. It has to be really pushed into the end of the TA's scope end, bottoming out on the keeper ring for the lens. It's a very snug fit, and would really need to be twisted out with some force. I may also use some small strips of double-sided tape if this fit becomes loose over time. The only drawback the Blizzard line of BC caps is they have a clear window for all-weather scope use. A quick application of a black dot sticker over the window and I was in business! With the cap closed, it works just like my Aimpoint would with it's cap closed. I have mounted the cap at about a 30 degree angle off vertical to allow it to flip open and down, clearing the TA mount, and the AR receiver. I hope these pictures help. The best $8 I've spent in a long time.

I'll post a range report when I can, but for my goals of cheap, and easy, this fit the bill.

Best,
Brian

Link Posted: 2/26/2006 7:47:08 PM EDT
THANKS! Excellent informational tip.
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 9:55:41 PM EDT
pretty cool
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 3:58:46 PM EDT
Brian,

Thanks for your efforts!!! I've got a brand new TA31F inbound and will give it a try. Much cheaper and better protection than a Killflash. Have you used it like an OEG yet? Results?

Roger

­Rangers Lead the Way!!!
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 4:59:56 PM EDT
A few threads from the archive on this:
Compact ACOG reticles and bright lights, any washout issues?
who had the pic and information on the TA-31 flip-up...
The picture that used to be on Hunt101:

The only thing I never figured out was how to keep the cap in there better than friction-fit. The tape, or maybe a bit of hot glue should do it.
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 5:55:39 AM EDT
Raven,

I haven't been the to the range yet to shoot with the OEG setup, but the "backyard" test worked really well at 10 yards, aiming at flower pots along the fence. I'll post a range report if I can get out this weekend. Forecast in Dallas is rain all weekend. :(
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 8:35:07 AM EDT
What would be neat is if Butler Creek Could Mold in a little Hook like the ARD has on it, right next to the molded recepter for the cap hinge. That would be cool.
chuck
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 8:44:51 AM EDT
Hmmm, tag.
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 8:53:23 AM EDT
tag.

Thanks for the info
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 1:53:41 PM EDT

Originally Posted By eaglecp:
What would be neat is if Butler Creek Could Mold in a little Hook like the ARD has on it, right next to the molded recepter for the cap hinge. That would be cool.

That would be sweet. I'm not sure there are enough ACOGs available in private hands to get them to do it, but if they made it with the ARD inside, the .mil might buy them.
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 10:22:18 AM EDT
Do you guys know what size cap fits on the back of the TA-11 AND TA31?

teamroper
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 11:00:46 AM EDT

Originally Posted By teamroper2004:
Do you guys know what size cap fits on the back of the TA-11 AND TA31?

teamroper

Butler Creek 02 Obj.
Top Top