Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 2/17/2006 6:59:26 PM EDT
My friend is using these in the Army right now.  Anyone know anything about them?  He said it has a laser for nighttime use.

Link Posted: 2/17/2006 8:08:16 PM EDT
[#1]
looks neat. id like to be able to play with one.
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 8:27:07 PM EDT
[#2]
i predict this will be the next must-have tacticool accessory for the arfcom range commandos. they will sell for twice their actual value just so guy can post pics of it on their rifles or mention it casually in threads "yeah i was at the range zeroing my MARS sight when....."

FWIW, i believe its an israeli sight. used on the Tavor. has built in throw-levers and has been used in conjuction with the "landwarrior" type systems with a camera behind it. it has a laser built into it and i believe the laser is always in correlation with the reddot but ive never used one. just heard guys rave about them
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 8:41:44 PM EDT
[#3]
Expensive and kinda crappy battery life.
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 5:44:55 AM EDT
[#4]
Google is your friend!

Multipurpose Aiming Reflex Sight - MARS
ITL Israel
Multipurpose Aiming Reflex Sight (MARS) is used as a standard sight on the IDF Tavor assault rifle. MARS projects a circular 0.3 mrad reticle at the line of fire. The dot brightness is adjusted automatically over a wide dynamic range (1:10,000). In addition, MARS uses a red-dot laser aiming light. Both can be seen with both eyes open, through the large eye-box designed for optimal visibility under difficult day or night conditions.

The US subsidary of the Isreali company is ITL Inc. in Emerson NJ.

Here is the sight.

The brochure is here.

Night Vision Equipment Company sells it (but they only sell to .gov agencies).

One was offered on e-Bay for $3,350.00.
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 5:53:38 AM EDT
[#5]
Nothing special here. Just cool guy points.  a reflex sight with a built in IR laser  

Nothing that's gonna make me sell my Aimpoint  and I don't need a laser............
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 6:16:50 AM EDT
[#6]
We had a few when I was over there in 2004.  

THEY SUCK!!!

Terrible battery life.  One battery would last about one patrol.......if the patrol was short.

Tiny dot.  Too light to see well in the day time.

The laser beam is too faint to do much with.

I wouldn't waste my money.

Link Posted: 2/18/2006 6:40:15 AM EDT
[#7]
3500$ would buy you a S&B Short Dot and a AN/PAC-4. Way better combo than this MARS sight.
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 8:22:07 AM EDT
[#8]
Not available for civilian sales.
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 8:55:31 PM EDT
[#9]
Thanks for the info.  With the amount of time I've spent on this site I was kinda surprised to hear about it and not know what it was.
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top