Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 2/17/2006 7:15:04 AM EDT
OK, I have seen the aluminium machined covers for the TA11. I considered buying one simply to protect the glass; but it mentions the primary purpose as being for OEG use. I've also seen discussion of taping over the objective to get the same effect.

When I run a TA11 in a Larue or TA51 mount, I use a nose to the charging handle cheek weld. If I put my nose behind the charging handle, I have a nice "chipmunk cheek" thing going on with the Magpul stock and can keep a pretty good cheek weld in most circumstances and see a full view.

When I want to go OEG, I move my head a hair so that the bottom of the tip of my nose is touching the top of the charging handle. At this point I can no longer see through the TA11 as I am at the edge of the exit pupil; but I can still see the donut and use it as an OEG for close-range (15-20yds) blasting where I just need shots to fall into a 6" circle.

I still haven't got a lot of time with this system; but so far it has worked well in just playing around. With the ARMS #19s I used to run, the mount was just a hair higher where it was more difficult to keep a good reference point while trying to look over the top of the TA11.

I'm assuming though that there is some reason that people prefer the $80 aluminium cap for OEG use though since I am sure they would ditch the extra weight and time to flip the cap if they felt there was a way around it. Since I know we still have a few knowledgable shooters who put rounds down range on a regular basis here, I thought I would ask their opinion on this issue. What has been working for you or not working for you when using this method?
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 11:59:50 AM EDT
[#1]
What does OEG mean?
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 12:33:35 PM EDT
[#2]

I haven't logged a lot of trigger time, but I too have been experimenting with looking over the top of my TA11 to stop my eyes from focusing on the magnified view...it works pretty good in my garage.  I'm anxious to get out and try it out.
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 12:36:51 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
What does OEG mean?

Occluded eye gunsight.

Taken from Trijicon's web site. Click >HERE< to view it and the original OEG sight in it's entirety. It's basically a red dot that your shooting eye can't see through, but makes it appear as though you're looking through a red dot scope when you look at the target through both eyes. Picture looking through an Aimpoint with the muzzle side covered.

This red dot sight is simply the fastest sight available. It allows you to use both eyes to speed your focus onto the target. One eye never leaves the target scene. Binocular aiming means that while your view through one eye remains focused on the target, the other eye sees a red dot as the weapon is aimed. The result is a super-imposed dot on the target. There is never a contrast problem with an Armson because your brain automatically adjusts any contrast. The dot covers 4 inches at 100 yards and is adjustable for windage and elevation. During the day the sight uses ambient light to illuminate the red dot and at night it is illuminated by tritium.

Link Posted: 2/17/2006 12:47:31 PM EDT
[#4]
Two wors:  Docter Optics

If you are lifting your head up any way...
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 12:54:45 PM EDT
[#5]
No really, confusion between the magnified and unmagnified view was never the issue with BAC for me.  It was the point of aim/ point of impact shift at 15 to 40 yards.

Why are you trying to occlude the sight picture?
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 2:53:10 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
No really, confusion between the magnified and unmagnified view was never the issue with BAC for me.  It was the point of aim/ point of impact shift at 15 to 40 yards.

Yeah, still an issue.

Why are you trying to occlude the sight picture?

Because the brain always wants to use the magnified view, even close and with the narrower field of view + shooting at nothing but brown cardboard targets it is relatively easy to "bounce" over a target. To use an example, say you are supposed to center punch 3 IDPA targets twice each from 15-10yds while moving. If you aren't careful, it is easy to punch one target four times, one target twice, and completely miss one target because they all look the same through the glass.

Using it occluded you still have the shift in POI; but you have a full field of view. It also appears at first glance (still don't really have enough data to say one way or another with any certainty) that you run faster during transitions between targets using it as an OEG. You can also transition left-right and right-left with equal speed.
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 6:26:46 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 7:21:52 PM EDT
[#8]
First of all you cant do that trick with the reticle hold in the black on a TA31 only a TA11.  The eye relief and exit pupil just dont allow it.  I treid it before so I specifically know this. Second you are putting it into a tiny spot to have to hold the reticle in th black to get good contrast and it will get off that spot under recoil and its a bitch to reauire the reticle and put it back in tthat small black are on the edge of the scope.  I tried my ass off to get the BAC to work indoors and did exactly what you are doing to get it to work better.  My conclusion was a closed cover would be better but you cant stick a Butler Creek cap on it so I gave up.  The MSTN covers were not out at that time.  After using a Dr Optic on my rifle for several months I think its a far better idea.  The POA/POI is always off with the ACOG used in BAC/OEG mode.  It is sighted to your right eye, not your left which you are using to get the 1X target view from.  Keeping the dot in the little window of a Dr Optic is as easy as keeping the reticle in view for an ACOG and its actually better in low light use with a flashlight as the reticle seems to have a better overall brightness on the Dr Optic and auto adjusts to your flashlight.  A clear sight picture is always better than an occluded one IMO. Thats my take.

What is the weight of the flip up cover from MSTN?  What is the weight of the Dr Optic in a mount?
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 10:02:42 PM EDT
[#9]
i dont have a problem with bac without any covers or what not but i see where it would help looking through my aimpoint with the cover closed.

i also own an oeg which is on my xm build and think it was a great sight for its time and think its damn near close to what we have today for reddots. at least much better than the crap clones everyone is pushing.
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 4:55:11 AM EDT
[#10]
Tag for later.
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 5:43:53 AM EDT
[#11]
What in the heck, where does the OEG go? How does it attach? I understand the concept, guess I just need to see it in action.
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 6:00:40 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
First of all you cant do that trick with the reticle hold in the black on a TA31 only a TA11.  The eye relief and exit pupil just dont allow it.  I treid it before so I specifically know this. Second you are putting it into a tiny spot to have to hold the reticle in th black to get good contrast and it will get off that spot under recoil and its a bitch to reauire the reticle and put it back in tthat small black are on the edge of the scope.  I tried my ass off to get the BAC to work indoors and did exactly what you are doing to get it to work better.  My conclusion was a closed cover would be better but you cant stick a Butler Creek cap on it so I gave up.  The MSTN covers were not out at that time.  After using a Dr Optic on my rifle for several months I think its a far better idea.  The POA/POI is always off with the ACOG used in BAC/OEG mode.  It is sighted to your right eye, not your left which you are using to get the 1X target view from.  Keeping the dot in the little window of a Dr Optic is as easy as keeping the reticle in view for an ACOG and its actually better in low light use with a flashlight as the reticle seems to have a better overall brightness on the Dr Optic and auto adjusts to your flashlight.  A clear sight picture is always better than an occluded one IMO. Thats my take.

What is the weight of the flip up cover from MSTN?  What is the weight of the Dr Optic in a mount?

I am with DevL. I diched the BAC and went back to my NSN/Docter.
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 7:49:58 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
What in the heck, where does the OEG go? How does it attach? I understand the concept, guess I just need to see it in action.

uxb's oeg for the retro rifle thread.

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top