Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 2/16/2006 6:59:10 AM EDT
I saw that they have designed a new FUFS. The websight lists a barrell mounted version (gas block I assume?), but no picture. Anyone seen one yet? Price is comparable to PRI / GG&G models.
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 9:03:13 AM EDT
[#1]
FUFS?  flip up front sight?  I'm just not used to seeing that acronym.  

I know their forend mounted front BUIS looks like the TROY but I haven't seen a barrel/gas block version...

Link Posted: 2/16/2006 9:16:41 AM EDT
[#2]
exactly, just didn't feel like typing it all out and saw it used somewhere else. Sorry to confuse anyone. I saw the rail mounted version too and liked it. Their website also lists a barrell mounted version, but does not have a picture. I am very interested in it since I am configuring my first AR "wish list". I liked the hooded design like the Troy / PRI. I am just trying to figure out if there's any other difference between the two.
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 9:25:45 AM EDT
[#3]
I sent him an email and he said that yes it was a new gas block/FFS and he would have pics up soon.
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 9:44:01 AM EDT
[#4]
Good to know, Thanks.
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 10:07:02 AM EDT
[#5]

This thread was started by Talon Arms and there are a few more pic 2/3 of the way down the page.

The video

Spring activated, something Troy's does not offer.

ETA: The correct pic, maybe..............
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 11:01:32 AM EDT
[#6]
fixed it I see...  cool.

I saw that one already.  I thought it was some goofy gas block or part of the forend with the regular rail mounted flipup on top.  I guess my original guess isn't that far off still...

I guess they saved money doing it that way too!
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 6:18:58 AM EDT
[#7]
Update! Scott Samson must have seen this thread. He emailed me last night to let me know that they had pics up on the website. It looks really nice. I would like to see a couple of different angles and how it is attached though. taper pins, hex screws, set screws? The base is steel w/ aluminum FFS according to Scott.

Scott actually just followed up again & I'm sure he'll have more to share when he does. I'm very impressed with his customer service, especially with a guy that's not even a customer yet. I'll post any other info. that I find out.
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 6:44:23 AM EDT
[#8]
looks like a bitch to get on and secure with that Fore-end!
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 6:53:25 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
fixed it I see...  cool.

I saw that one already.  I thought it was some goofy gas block or part of the forend with the regular rail mounted flipup on top.  I guess my original guess isn't that far off still...

I'm not sure I follow. The only difference between this gas block & others I have seen is that they built it up on top to align with your rail. What do you mean "saved money by doing it that way"? It's a two piece design juts like PRI & GG&G. The sight is attached to the block, not mounted to it from what I can tell.

"looks like a bitch to get on and secure with that Fore-end!"

Would it be any more difficult than other designs that require removal of the FSB?
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 7:10:27 AM EDT
[#10]
Nice design. I prefer BUIS that's mounted on the barrel rather than mounted on the rail.

Since the rail is a two piece design there should be no problem installing this FFS-B just like a regular FSB, then just drop down and install the upper rails.

I'll seriously consider this model for my next build project.

I already have two MRFS ready for my next projects.
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 8:16:29 AM EDT
[#11]
It`s a one piece pinned on not a two piece, I can`t tell if they are tapper or straight pins tho.
It looks very well made, Samson gear is good to go.
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 8:55:49 AM EDT
[#12]

Here are a few more pics from Talon Arms thread from the General Discussion board.

From Samson's website description:

Quick Flip™ Samson FFS-B (folding front sight) - barrel mount

Barrel mount
Lightweight
HK style hood
Uses standard AR sight post and pin
Spring action deployed with the push of a button
Instantly locks up
Locks down
A perfect match for the ARMS 40 A or L
Made from 6061 T6 aluminum
Mil spec anodized
Laser engraved
Low profile when folded
F marked height

It's currently on backordered status for now but keep your eye on Talon Arms website or just pre-order it, they won't charge your CC until they ship.

I got my Samson rails from Talon Arms, great guys and fast shipping.

Samson Mfg Corp website link
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 9:16:39 AM EDT
[#13]
Got an email from Scott earlier.  Two things, first, the block will attach using 4 set screws. Second, they will have a handful ready to ship next week. $190 on the Samson website. Not sure when Talon or anyone else might be able to get them. Better reserve one now if you want it.
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 9:40:39 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
Got an email from Scott earlier.  Two things, first, the block will attach using 4 set screws. Second, they will have a handful ready to ship next week. $190 on the Samson website. Not sure when Talon or anyone else might be able to get them. Better reserve one now if you want it.

Set screws?  It looked like holes for pins but I guess not.

I wonder  what diameter barrel will it fit?  .750?
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 9:52:34 AM EDT
[#15]
I wondered the same thing, but set screws is what Scott Samson said in an email earlier today. Set screws and some loctite should be a pretty solid setup.
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 12:49:50 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:
fixed it I see...  cool.

I'm not sure I follow. The only difference between this gas block & others I have seen is that they built it up on top to align with your rail. What do you mean "saved money by doing it that way"? It's a two piece design juts like PRI & GG&G. The sight is attached to the block, not mounted to it from what I can tell.

"looks like a bitch to get on and secure with that Fore-end!"

Would it be any more difficult than other designs that require removal of the FSB?

I'm not talking about OTHER gas blocks.  I'm talking about Samson's rail mounted flip up front sight which is pretty clear.  

Have you seen Samson's rail mounted flip up?  It looks just like this one but clamps to the top of a rail.  They both use the same flip up portion and that's what I meant by saving money.

To further explain myself to you, take a look at any of YHM's flipups in both the rail mounted and gas block mounted or gas block-included flavors.  All three use a different flip up piece because they are all hinged at a different point and need to be a different height.

That is not the case with this one and it's rail mounted clamp on version.  

Understand what I was getting at?

Link Posted: 2/17/2006 1:53:51 PM EDT
[#17]
OK, now I see what you meant, duplicate use of the flip up portion. I think I like the look of it though, the block should look like an extension of the rail.
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 3:39:26 PM EDT
[#18]
nothing against the samson, but if I'm going to go with a new gas block, it's going to lie down as low as it can go, even with the top of the rail like the new KAC SASS.  That's a VERY nice design.  

Not too long ago a member was looking for ideas to incorporate into a prototype railed fore-end he was going to make and I suggested a flip up that landed flush with the top of the rail like on an early prototype SASS I had seen.  He sent me a set of Magpul Ranger Plates for the effort!!
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 4:17:07 PM EDT
[#19]
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top