Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 2/13/2006 9:03:48 AM EDT
I recently popped my AR-15 cherry with an RRA build that included an RRA middie upper with the removable tac handle. I know, I know - dumb move on the tac handle, but I didn’t know any better at the time.

Deciding to make lemonade, I thought I would opt for the Aimpoint that it was designed to accommodate, but I have recently found myself entertaining the thought of an EOTech 512. These ruminations leads to my two n00bie questions…

1 – If I do decide to go with the Aimpoint, just how good (secure, ease of target acquisition, etc) is the RRA tac handle as an Aimpoint mount? Any know issues that I should be aware of other than making sure to get the correct low ring for mounting? BTW - once mounted and sighted in I don’t plan to remove it very frequently, so retaining zero after reinstall is not a huge issue.

And from way out in left field…

2 – While I know that the preferred EOTech co-witness setup is to mount a BUIS on the flattop with the EOTech on the flattop or a riser, any idea of what kind of sight picture would I get if I mounted the EOTech on the tac handle? While I know (or at least think) I couldn’t get a co-witness, would the irons even be visible/usable in the EOTech window? Would they occupy so much of the window that the EO reticle would be ineffective?

Thanks in advance for patience with the n00b…

Cheers,
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 10:17:37 AM EDT
You should just cut the Tac handle down like a cut carrying handle and use it as a BUIS only. At least that's what I'd like to do with mine. It was designed to be used with the factory supplied Aimpoint mount, which by everyone's accounts is shiite.

The EOTech will be much too high. Almost as bad as if you mounted it on a carry handle. No you will not be able to use the irons if the EOTech is mounted as you describe.

Thus, if you cut the damn thing down like a regular CCH, you'll have a good fixed BUIS. I use a CCH and I love it. It will function that way using both the EOTech and Aimpoint obviously.
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 6:58:28 PM EDT
Ouch!!

Thanks for the feedback - unfortunately you confirmed my worst fears.

Maybe I'll just chalk the whole tac handle thing up to ignorant indiscretion, put it in the drawer and spring for an ARMS rear folder and either the EO or Aimpoint.

Unless, of course, someone out there wants to trade a Tac for a Dominator...

...anyone....anyone...Bueller...?
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 7:13:59 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 2/15/2006 7:14:48 AM EDT by Onslaught]

Originally Posted By GAAR15:
Ouch!!

Thanks for the feedback - unfortunately you confirmed my worst fears.

Maybe I'll just chalk the whole tac handle thing up to ignorant indiscretion, put it in the drawer and spring for an ARMS rear folder and either the EO or Aimpoint.

Unless, of course, someone out there wants to trade a Tac for a Dominator...

...anyone....anyone...Bueller...?

I'll trade you your RRA Tac Handle and $100 for my RRA Dominator

I second the suggestion to chop the TCH into a BUIS. I've been considering trying to find a used Gen1 dominator to do the same thing for an Aimpoint BUIS.
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 8:38:56 PM EDT
I have both an Aimpoint M2 and an EOTech 551 on my two carbines.

With the Aimpoint the cowitness depends on the mount you get, it will either be at the center of your FOV or have a lower 1/3 cowitness.

In my case I have a Knight's Armament QR straight high mount for my Aimpoint and I have a lower 1/3 cowitness.

My EOTech is mounted directly on my upper rails without any mount and it has a center cowitness.

If you want to get a lower 1/3 cowitness so you will have a better view and sight picture with the EOTech, get a mount like the:
YHM EOTech riser (www.yhm.net)
GG&G Accucam mount (www.gggaz.com)
LaRue QR mount (www.laruetactical.com)

You could either use your cut TCH or get any BUIS that you like.

My EOTech pic link

My Aimpoint pic link
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 10:43:50 AM EDT
Guys,

Appreciate all the replies. After looking around at the alternatives at a recent gun show and talking to a couple of folks locally, my solution has been to write off the RRA tac handle as a rookie mistake and I purchased an EOTech 512 plus an ARMS 40L-SP from Tom Mooney (ARFCOM support dealer and a great guy to boot).

Onslaught - I am tempted to take you up on your offer to give me your Dominator AND $100 in trade for my lowly tac handle, but I feel like I might be taking advantage of you...Cheers, and thanks again for the advice.
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 11:33:32 AM EDT
Back in the day the RRA tac handle was one of my MANY newb mistakes!
Top Top