Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 2/12/2006 2:36:29 PM EDT
Went out to the range with another officer today.  He recently got a Bushmaster M4gery and has an EOTech 552 on the flat top upper.   I took my Bushy A2 with an ARMS 39 and CompM with me.  I'd never used an EOTech before and he has never used an Aimpoint, so we took some time swapping rifles.  I must say I now understand why everyone likes the EOTech so much, but I'm still not a convert.  The other officer also had a great time with the Aimpoint.  The only conclusion we came to was it did not really matter which optic was on the guns.  They were both reliable, top of the line optics and both do the job they were designed (and purchased) for.

I was also currious about the EOTech and my astigmatism.  I was plesantly surprized that the image was not distorted like I expected but appeared as a series of very small individual dots that made up the image.

Since my friend was new to AR's he had never heard of the IBZ, which I use, and has his rifle sighted in for 300.  We moved back from 50 yards to 150 and he was impressed with the IBZ and how easy it was to keep the Aimpoint on the steel plates and get consistent hits.  The EOTech was also scoring hits at 150, just not as many on the small plates.  

For now I'm keeping the Aimpoint, but if I find a good deal on an EOTech....

Sarge

Link Posted: 2/12/2006 3:55:12 PM EDT
[#1]
which aimpoint are you using? the 2 or 4moa dot? which one did you notice was faster? the larger reticle on the eotech or the single dot?

of course, field of view and other factors makes a difference as well...
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 4:04:52 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
The only conclusion we came to was it did not really matter which optic was on the guns.  They were both reliable, top of the line optics and both do the job they were designed (and purchased) for.

That's why people are so confused when tryingt to chose between the two of them. I've got both (the EO Tech has been relegated to spare parts duty) and agree with your findings 101%.
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 4:08:01 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
which aimpoint are you using? the 2 or 4moa dot?

The OP was using the CompM (as stated in the post) which, IIRC, only came with a 4 MOA dot.

which one did you notice was faster? the larger reticle on the eotech or the single dot?
Remember, the optic is not fast, the shooter is and the speed of the shooter is primarily attributed to the amount of time they spend training.
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 4:25:46 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Quoted:

The OP was using the CompM (as stated in the post) which, IIRC, only came with a 4 MOA dot.

which one did you notice was faster? the larger reticle on the eotech or the single dot?
Remember, the optic is not fast, the shooter is and the speed of the shooter is primarily attributed to the amount of time they spend training.

CompM's are 3 MOA.

WIZZO
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 5:04:36 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

The OP was using the CompM (as stated in the post) which, IIRC, only came with a 4 MOA dot.CompM's are 3 MOA.

Thank for correcting me Wizzo. I went back and checked the old manuals on Aimpoint's site. If it was a Comp M XD, then yes, it would be 3 MOA. If it's a Comp M, it would be be 7 MOA or 10 MOA.
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 6:08:44 PM EDT
[#6]
Wizzo, It is the same optic you have.  I thought it was a 4moa dot.

Drabchoi,  I was used to the Aimpoint and he was used to the EOTech, so we had our preferences, but I think the Aimpoint was a little easier to pick up quickly.  Although I did some quick singles and doubles and my times were about the same.  My only observation was the center dot on the EOTech was a bit harder to find as quickly as the Aimpoint.  But if I turned up the brightness a bit, it was very easy to find, especially with the 65moa outter circle.

Matt, thanks for the validation on them both being great optics that are about equal (I'll probably get flamed for that one ).

Sarge
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 6:10:28 PM EDT
[#7]
Aimpoint's site leads to the same manual for the Comp and the CompM.

Quoted:
Matt, thanks for the validation on them both being great optics that are about equal (I'll probably get flamed for that one  ).

No argument. I have both

This is a pic of the manual that came with mine.

Look at part G.

WIZZO
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 8:31:39 PM EDT
[#8]
Wizzo,

Got the same manual with mine.  I must have missed that section.  I always thought they were all 4 moa.  I stand corrected.  Thanks.

Sarge
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 10:11:02 PM EDT
[#9]
That manual says 75-500hr batt life.  My EOTech gets over double that.
I realize the manual is from '93...just poking fun.
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top