Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 2/12/2006 11:37:57 AM EDT
I've been looking for a low cost and lightweight scope for my M4 cabine and I recently saw the Leapers T168. I want to know if anyone here has one and if so, what do you think of it. Here is a link to the scope and some info about it.

http://www.jpfo.org/leapers.htm
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 12:29:19 PM EDT
I like mine. So far it's been excellent!

Link Posted: 2/12/2006 8:07:53 PM EDT
How is the scope doing in terms of staying tightly mounted? Does in get loose after you fire off a few mags? Also, is the scope held on with allen screws or does in use knobs to finger tighten it on? THanks in advance for the info.
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 2:05:03 AM EDT
Mine has been great, holds its zero well. I took it off, and remounted and experiened no POI shift.
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 2:07:40 AM EDT
does that one hve the illuminated recticle??
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 4:11:10 AM EDT

Originally Posted By AROKIE:
does that one hve the illuminated recticle??

Yup.
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 7:00:08 PM EDT
Thanks swingset.
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 7:53:54 PM EDT
Seems like there's a lot of variance in quality, some have gotten versions with the reticle considerably off centered or tilted. I've got one on the carry handle of my A2 rifle that's pretty nice. The only negative thing I have to say about it is the illumination control really sucks. But since I'm not that interested in illumantion I don't care.

Another inexpensive scope that I think is nicer than the T-168 is the Simmons Pro Diamond 1.5x5x20. I've got one on my carbine and really like it. Very clear and holds zero when the magnification is cranked up and down. Darn nice scope for $50.
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 4:42:27 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 2/20/2006 4:45:20 AM EDT by metroplex]
I ordered one because I just wanted a cheap optic. Since Leapers is in Michigan, I can send it over to them if I ever need warranty work Then again, Trijicon is also in Michigan, but their cool gear costs as much as a deposit/downpayment for a new car
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 1:00:03 PM EDT
Another current review thread

Bottom line, if it's not broke when you get it, it's worth the $40.
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 2:12:14 PM EDT
Where do you buy them for $40?
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 3:06:28 PM EDT
Nowhere anymore
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 6:45:43 AM EDT
"Bottom line, if it's not broke when you get it, it's worth the $40."

I got one of these in the UK (retails at £80 NOT $!!)

Tried to mount it in a carry handle - that is after all what it is designed for, right? - but it would not fit in the handle, canted over to one side. Tried the accompanying Flat Top adaptor, fit was fine but then I noticed the reticle was also canted in the scope.

Returned it to the UK Importer (AGS) who eventually got back to me saying that the scope was f*cked and they were not sure it was meant for carry handle mounting anyway....got a full refund which I spent towards an IOR 3 x 25 instead.

So, if you're asking - my experience was that this product was poorly engineered and had poor build quality. Added to that, the reticle seemed very thick.

I wouldn't consider another product by ths company.
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 6:57:02 AM EDT

Originally Posted By BlackRifleBrit:
"Bottom line, if it's not broke when you get it, it's worth the $40."

I got one of these in the UK (retails at £80 NOT $!!)

Tried to mount it in a carry handle - that is after all what it is designed for, right? - but it would not fit in the handle, canted over to one side. Tried the accompanying Flat Top adaptor, fit was fine but then I noticed the reticle was also canted in the scope.

Returned it to the UK Importer (AGS) who eventually got back to me saying that the scope was f*cked and they were not sure it was meant for carry handle mounting anyway....got a full refund which I spent towards an IOR 3 x 25 instead.

So, if you're asking - my experience was that this product was poorly engineered and had poor build quality. Added to that, the reticle seemed very thick.

I wouldn't consider another product by ths company.

To contribute to this thread with a reply at the same time:
it sounds like you got the earlier duplex reticle and Clearview said they had a few problems with the early models. The new ones all have mil-dot reticles and should not have canted reticles.
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 2:53:53 PM EDT
My T-168 from Clearview/Centerfire just arrived. The reticle was straight, I can definitely hear an audible/tactile "CLICK" when turning the reticle light on/off, and the knob has some resistance to it.
The optics are comparable to BSA sub $100 scope optics (which isn't that bad). The cheap Chinese rubber smell comes from the front scope cover. I installed the flat top adapter and used blue threadlocker for the 2 screws. The illumination is a neat feature because in a worst case scenario you can just use it as an OEG for CQB.
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 5:45:21 AM EDT
I'm not sure if anyone else realized this, but when it came out of the box, it was out of focus. I cranked the eyepiece clockwise maybe 1-2 revolutions and now the reticle and sight picture is crystal clear.
Top Top