Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 2/12/2006 4:43:36 AM EDT
I just got a 3.5x15x50 NXS NP-R2.  I have no issues with it during the day but at night I see a double image of the crosshairs with the light activated.  I have tried to adjust the brightness and that didn't work.  Even at the dimmest settings, I can still make out the double image.  The pictures will try and demonstrate what I am talking about.  The pictures were taking from inside looking through glass but I did go outside at night and it didn't solve the issue.

This picture is taken in the daylight hours although it is not sunny outside.  It is snowing.  I get no double image (pic is blurry from me moving the camera).

This is a better picture of how it actually looks (guess I wasn't moving the camera)

This is how it look with it being lit (again blurry because I moved the camera but in real time I see no double image)

This one I moved the scope to point directly at the wall (still blurry because I moved the camera but in real time no double image)

Now here is a picture from last night with very little if any light present in the room and outside.  You can see there is a double image present above the crosshairs.  In real time when I am looking through the scope I see 4 crosshairs.  The ones that should be there and the "ghost" image to the left and up above the regular crosshairs.

I don't know if others have this same issue.  I am going to call nightforce tomorrow and see if this is normal or not.

Can anyone shed some light on the issue for me???
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 10:02:05 AM EDT
[#1]
turn down the illumination...
adjust the parrallax...
call nightforce....
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 10:32:04 AM EDT
[#2]
You got a 12v battery in that thing?

That second photo is a good descriptive image. I have been wondering how fine the reticle is. Looks busy but usable. Thanks for that, sorry I am no help here. Call N.F.
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 11:35:48 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
turn down the illumination...
adjust the parrallax...
call nightforce....

tried that...
tried that...
will call them tomorrow.

On another note I went in the laundry room today and it was pitch black and I could hardly notice the ghost effect if present at all.  I also tried it with the rubber lens cap on the exit side to see if it would still happen and it really wasn't visible.

Kind of weird.  I may just suck it up and live with it since I will most likely never shoot at night.

3v watch battery in it.
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 12:44:10 PM EDT
[#4]
have you had your eyes checked?

maybe your eyes are bad and the focus on the camera is off. i have the same double reticle problem with my acogs but as soon as i put my eye glasses on its normal.
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 2:37:06 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
have you had your eyes checked?

maybe your eyes are bad and the focus on the camera is off. i have the same double reticle problem with my acogs but as soon as i put my eye glasses on its normal.

You know what I think that is it.  I wear contacts daily and I do have those astigmatism thingys but as for which eye, I can't remember.  I tried it without my contact, but that was just blurry as shit.  Then I tried my glasses and I would say about 95% of the double image went away.
It must have something to do with the way the red light from the scope hits my contacts and I could be getting a "glare" from it.

It might be like when it is raining out, driving at night and getting the glare from headlights is the same principle.

Unfortunately no one in my family has good vision.  

[says in head] remember to bring glasses along when sniping at night [/says in head]

Thanks!
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 6:12:12 AM EDT
[#6]
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top