Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 2/11/2006 7:45:39 PM EDT
Just wanted to know the advantages of mounting sights (mostly Eotechs) as close to the muzzle as possible? Thanks.
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 7:52:51 PM EDT
[#1]
Offset.   It's a good idea to mount any optic as close as possible to the bore.
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 8:04:01 PM EDT
[#2]
Actually I didn't mean height-wise, I've seen some photos here where the Eotech is mounted closer to the front sight (sometimes on the handguard) than the rear BUIS.
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 8:14:23 PM EDT
[#3]
Ah, yes, you said muzzle, not bore.  

Some forward distance is good, but there is no need to take that to an extreme, especially if it means mounting on a less solid platform
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 11:41:07 AM EDT
[#4]
The idea behind that is if you move the sight forward it blocks less of your field of view--you can see more around the sight.  The trade-off is that you lose field of view through the sight.  And to mount it forward of the receiver requires a top rail that's rigidly attached to the receiver like the FF ones.  A HG-replacement one would let POI move around.
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 6:19:18 PM EDT
[#5]
Yeah some people mount it forward scout style. Just a matter of preference and availiable real estate on your rail system.
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 8:09:32 PM EDT
[#6]
I mount mine as far forward on the receiver as possible, except for on my DD railed upper.  That rail is rock solid so I mount it as far forward as I can, still being able to reach up with my right hand and turn it on (I am right handed).
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top