Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
Posted: 2/11/2006 7:45:39 PM EDT
Just wanted to know the advantages of mounting sights (mostly Eotechs) as close to the muzzle as possible? Thanks.
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 7:52:51 PM EDT
Offset. It's a good idea to mount any optic as close as possible to the bore.
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 8:04:01 PM EDT
Actually I didn't mean height-wise, I've seen some photos here where the Eotech is mounted closer to the front sight (sometimes on the handguard) than the rear BUIS.
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 8:14:23 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 2/11/2006 8:14:57 PM EDT by fight4yourrights]
Ah, yes, you said muzzle, not bore.

Some forward distance is good, but there is no need to take that to an extreme, especially if it means mounting on a less solid platform
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 11:41:07 AM EDT
The idea behind that is if you move the sight forward it blocks less of your field of view--you can see more around the sight. The trade-off is that you lose field of view through the sight. And to mount it forward of the receiver requires a top rail that's rigidly attached to the receiver like the FF ones. A HG-replacement one would let POI move around.
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 6:19:18 PM EDT
Yeah some people mount it forward scout style. Just a matter of preference and availiable real estate on your rail system.
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 8:09:32 PM EDT
I mount mine as far forward on the receiver as possible, except for on my DD railed upper. That rail is rock solid so I mount it as far forward as I can, still being able to reach up with my right hand and turn it on (I am right handed).
Top Top