Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 2/5/2006 8:27:32 PM EDT
which do yall prefer? I have the aimpoint right now and i noticed that sometimes when the sun is shining, is see two red dots, clustered together.

anyone have this problem with EOTech? or with their Aimpoint?
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 8:37:39 PM EDT
[#1]
I like both, but I love my EOTech more.

WIZZO
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 8:46:41 PM EDT
[#2]
I'm not particularly familiar with the Aimpoint, but have been very impressed with my EOTech - espceially after I dropped it five foot onto concrete, and it still worked and maintained zero.  

Never noticed any double image of any kind.

Link Posted: 2/5/2006 8:53:11 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
which do yall prefer? I have the aimpoint right now and i noticed that sometimes when the sun is shining, is see two red dots, clustered together.

I have an Aimpoint and if funds permit, am planning to get an EOtech too. Both are great IMO, its all a matter of preference in reticle pattern.

With regard the "clustering" of dots on an Aimpoint when hit by sunlight at a particular angle, that's normal on any lense. Try closing the front lense cap when this happens to avoid unwanted reflection.
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 10:04:52 PM EDT
[#4]
Both are very nice to use. I have Aimpoints but only because I don't have a build to put an EoTech on. It really boils down to personal preference. Either way you win with your two choices.
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 4:37:22 AM EDT
[#5]
I have both.  I like my Eotech mounted over the center of my receiver on my AR.  For my Mini-14, I like the Aimpoint better mounted forward in a scout configuration.  The balance is better.

Forward = Aimpoint
Center = Eotech
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 4:45:43 AM EDT
[#6]
pleong, a couple things I need to mention.

1) Welcome to the boards.

2) There is a dedicated forum for optics here and that's where your post should be.

3) It is always best to use the Search function before asking any question, especially one such as yours that comes up almost every single day. As a matter of fact, I just did a search on the term "Aimpoint" and found quite a few threads that discuss the differences between EO Techs and Aimpoints. It's very easy to annoy folks here by posting questions that are asked literally every day. Please understand that repeatedly going through the same discussion time after time can become tiresome to say the least. I can understand that you may not be aware of this situation but it never hurts to lurk and search before posting.
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 5:10:51 AM EDT
[#7]
I have used both, and I prefer the EOtech. Reasons bieng 1) you don't have to look through a tube so you get more periphial vision. 2) I like the 1 M.O.A dot better. 3) No distortion of the dot in the rain. 5) No IR possible signature 6) I like the 4 or 8 hour auto shut off. The Aimpoint does look "harder" in my opinion though, and has a way longer battery life.
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 5:19:34 AM EDT
[#8]
I prefer the EoTech.  YMMV.
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 8:39:38 AM EDT
[#9]
I prefer eotech. Nothing like having a nice big heads up display with a 6.5" kill zone in your face.
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 9:13:05 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

The Aimpoint model ML2 that you have and the EOTech 552 are different because your Aimpoint is not NV compatible and the noted EOTech is a NV model.

I have an Aimpoint M2 and been a long time user of Aimpoints since the late '80s and the dot reflection is normal but not very bad.

My EOTech 551 is on it's way to me as of now and I should have it in a few days, I'll decide which one is better when I tested them.

I agree with the fact that the Aimpoint has longer battery life and the new M3/ ML3 models have five times longer battery life than the older models.
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 10:25:59 AM EDT
[#11]
I think this may have been brought up once or twice in the optics forum.
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 10:36:25 AM EDT
[#12]
i have three aimpoints and after looking through a friends eotech i plan on keeping it that way.

i only see one dot with my aimpoints and that one is much better than the millions you see through the eotech
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 4:02:20 PM EDT
[#13]
Iv'e seen a small cluster of 3 dots in the Aimpoint before. I like the Eotech better because of the field of view. your not looking down a tube.
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 4:10:40 PM EDT
[#14]
I know often times it's hard to do, but you really have to try both.  Opinions here are just that.  I've had both and can see benefits and drawbacks to both.  At present I have three Aimpoints and zero EOT's, so you may be able to figure out which direction I took.
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 4:11:46 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 6:19:22 PM EDT
[#16]
My 552 would be perfect if I could switch off the 65 MOA ring. My favorite thing about my Kobra is that I can switch between a dot for targe shooting and a larger recitle for faster shooting.
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 6:20:51 PM EDT
[#17]
EoTech man myself.
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 6:49:28 PM EDT
[#18]
looks like eric and matt b are a little uptight.relax its just a question.if it bothers you so much,why did you click on it in the first place.i do beleive this is the ar general discussion platform.and seeing as these are probably the most two common optics put on ar style rifles,i think its a relevant question.its because of know it all guys like you that i havent been on this sight in 2 years.now i remember why.to answer your question pleong,i have used both extensively and love both of them.eotech is great for real close in target aquisition.either way you cant go wrong
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 7:12:36 PM EDT
[#19]
I like the Aimpoint.

Quite frankly, I mostly like it because my astigmatism really screws with how I see the EOTech reticle.

I really think it all comes down to personal preference. Go to your shop, slap each one on your AR, buy the one you like. If you like to EOTech better, and it doesn't give you dots, buy it.
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 10:25:10 PM EDT
[#20]
I just received my EOTech 551 yesterday from Grant of G&R Tactical and now I have both it and an Aimpoint.

I like both of them, I'm planning to use the EOTech for close work and I still have to get used to the large ring because I'm used to my Aimpoint single dot.

pleong, try them both out first and decide which one you like better or do it the ARFCOM way like I did, get both.
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 11:15:00 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
looks like eric and matt b are a little uptight.

Nope.  Just posted a link so that pleong could check out an optics forum with a lot more info in it.    
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 4:39:03 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
looks like eric and matt b are a little uptight.relax its just a question.if it bothers you so much,why did you click on it in the first place.

I looked at this post because I wanted to inform the poster that there is a specific forum for optics related questions.

i do beleive this is the ar general discussion platform.
That is correct but again, there are specific forums on these boards that are dedicated to specific types of discussions. This  forum is for topics that do not fall under any of the dedicated forums.

and seeing as these are probably the most two common optics put on ar style rifles,i think its a relevant question.
Please point out where in my post I said it was not a relevant question.

its because of know it all guys like you that i havent been on this sight in 2 years.now
I'm sorry but I fail to see where I came off as a "know it all". I politely welcomed the poster to the boards, informed them that there is a forum dedicated to the information they are seeking, that this a very common question that comes up a on regular basis and that if they searched for posts on the subject, they would find a plethora of information on it. I fail to see how any of that is maleficent in any way.
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 6:19:48 AM EDT
[#23]
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top