Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Page / 3
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 11:05:34 AM EDT
[#1]
good weight, but it'll come down to price.  
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 11:15:18 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Some interesting comments being made here. One of the things you want to happen with your AR is for the rail to suck heat out of the chamber (via the barrel nut) and move it down the rail system to help dissipate it. One of the leading causes of a broken bolt and or a cook off is doing several mag dumps and then leaving a round in the chamber just sitting their getting hotter and hotter.

This is why a polymer rail is a bad choice IMHO as it does NOT pull heat away from the chamber.

C4

www.GRTactical.com

I am Jack's complete lack of surprise.
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 11:17:37 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 12:09:41 PM EDT
[#4]
Guys- I already talked with paulosantos and he understands what I meant.  Now I'll share it with you.

I understand he made a mistake but it's the fact that when I mentioned to him that "of course it won't work" (yeah I know it was a little sassy) he turned around and showed a pictures as if to say "of course it works, look right here!"  I explained to him I understood that you can put a longer rail over a low profile gas block but it was silly to assume you'd be able to get a front sight on that uneven rail.  

He understood that showing the pictures of the rails fitting had nothing to do with what I was saying.

Are you guys saying the lower portion of this setup is polymer?  I didn't get that from the ad but I guess you could read it that way.

They seem to believe that this system does a very good job at directing heat through the fore end.  You guys are thinking it doesn't?

Link Posted: 2/6/2006 12:28:26 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 12:43:02 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

The A.R.M.S. #50 M-CV is superior is several ways.
First, ARMS holds the patent on a handguard that bolts to the barrel nut. The also hold the patent on the tabs that align the rails to the upper receiver.

Rob

www.TalonArms.com

How does Midwest Industries get away with their FF rail systems, then?

WIZZO
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 1:39:48 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
price?

Let's hope it's more reasonable than the past SIR line.
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 1:49:29 PM EDT
[#8]
I always thought those were all aluminum.  Never knew the bottoms were polymer.  I always assumed they were the same material as the upper parts.  they did a good job matching the color!
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 2:59:45 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 3:06:38 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 3:18:21 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 3:22:28 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 3:48:50 PM EDT
[#13]
Is it just the bottom panel of the rail that is polymer, and the top aluminum?  If so, I am missing the point of the heat sinking debate.  If the top is aluminum and the bottom a polymer, you would still have a fair amount of heat sinking in the top part of the rail.  This set up would have less surface area compared to larger rail systems, but aluminum has excellent thermal transfer properties.   You would have good thermal transfer with a cool spot for the hand, best of both worlds.  The only other way to improve are to increase mass (bad) or increase surface area.  Plus having this type of arrangement would help vent air through the rail a bit better.

If the entire rail is polymer, then you are on the same page as exsisting handgaurds, or slightly less as the barrel nut and delta ring are covered by a non-conducting material.
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 3:53:07 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
Is it just the bottom panel of the rail that is polymer, and the top aluminum?  If so, I am missing the point of the heat sinking debate.  If the top is aluminum and the bottom a polymer, you would still have a fair amount of heat sinking in the top part of the rail.  This set up would have less surface area compared to larger rail systems, but aluminum has excellent thermal transfer properties.   You would have good thermal transfer with a cool spot for the hand, best of both worlds.  The only other way to improve are to increase mass (bad) or increase surface area.  Plus having this type of arrangement would help vent air through the rail a bit better.

That was my line of thinking as well.
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 5:02:16 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 5:41:27 PM EDT
[#16]
Handguards are not made from polymer. The Arms lower rail is polymer and becomes soft after prolonged exposer to high heat.

I can see troops ditching the new Sir after a couple years.
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 5:51:04 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
The other possible issue with this new ARMS rail is that their rails do not follow the M1913 Picatinny spec. This means that you will not be able to fit a Tango Down VG like you can on the KAC, DD, LT, TROY, etc.

Is that the only complication? For the life of me I can't see why people place so much importance to one piece of kit. A piece of kit that can be filed and hand fit.
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 5:56:52 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 6:03:31 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
I agree with you that it isn't that big a deal to file something to make it fit the ARMS rail, but just keep in mind that you don't have to do that with other companie rails.
C4

If I'm overall happy with a product that cost me a couple of bills, a little filing on a $60 part wouldn't bother me in the least. Then again, maybe I'm in the minority.
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 6:08:29 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 6:34:19 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
Handguards are not made from polymer. The Arms lower rail is polymer and becomes soft after prolonged exposer to high heat.

I can see troops ditching the new Sir after a couple years.

Polymer is a very generic term, just like metal. Handguards are made of polymer, even the glass filled ones are to a degree.  Kevlar, rubber, nylon-6,6 and polycarbonate are all polymers.
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 7:04:31 PM EDT
[#22]
Y'all know why ARMS SIR rails aren't spec?  Aren't their other scope mounts and risers spec? Didn't Mr. Swan invent/finalize the Pic rail?
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 9:36:29 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 11:05:26 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 11:08:16 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 11:53:24 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:
This means that you will not be able to fit a Tango Down VG like you can on the KAC, DD, LT, TROY, etc.

Another issue with the ARMS SIR is that it has quite a bit of flex in it. What saves it is the rail running over top of the receiver. Since this new rail system just attaches to the barrel nut, it might has some flexing issues. This of course would only be a concern if you were mounting a Laser or Optic on it.

I look forward to looking at Shot and if they are a quality piece of kit, I will stock them. If they are an overpriced TROY MRF-C with flex issues, I will not.

C4

I don't think you are paying attention. On the first page of this thread, mrcr0603 posted a pic of a TD grip on an ARMS SIR.

A PROPERLY mounted SIR does not have any more flex than a Troy rail will.

And your someone "in the know" should know that Crane ordered 90K of these things!

It is no secret to anyone on AR15.com for more than a month that you hate ARMS and all of their products. So, no one will be surprised when you come back from SHOT and say you hate it.

If CRANE bought 90K of them, then that should be a large enough sample to see if there are going to be any problems with them, but I'd hope they already tested them extensively.  

As for the whole polymer handguard issue, if they are crappy, but the new SIR is otherwise good, couldn't ARMS at least offer an upgrade to aluminum?  

I'd also like to know how MI, GG&G,  Troy, and Samson aren't in violation of ARMS' patent on mounts that use the barrel nut.  

I don't really have anything against ARMS, but I do think some of their products need updating, and the new SIR looks to be a good start.
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 3:59:50 AM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 4:03:29 AM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 4:11:54 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
The difference between you and I is that I don't take whatever Dick Swan pushes my way and praise it as the best thing since slice bread.

True, you save that for Mark LaRue.

Let's see, we've got a new ARMS product that grantie hasn't even seen yet and it's trash. The obvious bias continues...
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 4:43:27 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Quoted:
The difference between you and I is that I don't take whatever Dick Swan pushes my way and praise it as the best thing since slice bread.

True, you save that for Mark LaRue.

Let's see, we've got a new ARMS product that grantie hasn't even seen yet and it's trash. The obvious bias continues...

Man, I hate to tell you, but I think most people will agree that LaRue's stuff is better built, all biases aside.  As I've said before, I don't hate ARMS, and I have several mounts/sights from them, but their LaRue counterparts seem a generation ahead in design (and probably rightly so, since many of the ARMS parts have been out longer and they have an older design).   I think competition is a good thing in this industry, and more power to ARMS if they can develop a more competitive product.  IMHO, as we stand today, LaRue has the upper hand in quality control and in designing and selling a better part.  YMMV
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 5:21:17 AM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 5:24:30 AM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 5:57:12 AM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 7:39:46 AM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 8:13:08 AM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 8:21:49 AM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

And your someone "in the know" should know that Crane ordered 90K of these things!

Crane ordered 90k of these things or they retained the option to order 90k of these things? There is a substantial difference between the two and I'd be surprised if there was a 90k order from Crane and this is the first we've heard of it here.
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 9:16:03 AM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:
The also hold the patent on the tabs that align the rails to the upper receiver. The Troy rail does not have these tabs that guarantee alignment.

You might want to re-think that statement.  I know my Troy MRF-R has tabs to ensure alignment/prevent rotation.  That was one of the things I asked about when Troy was starting to build these originally.

The "plastic" bottom rail is actually a high end polymer designed to deflect heat away from the lower handguard. Aluminum absorbs heat, the polymer can not.

So they use plastic for the lower rail so our VFG's can flex, yet they can't get the weight below that of the Sampon (which is a lightened Troy)?  Even the Troy is only 0.4oz heavier yet gives us the stronger/non-flexing aluminum lower rail.  I'm also thinking if you add the 4 rails you're going to have a SIR that weighs more than the Troy!

I don't mind the use of plastics - but jeez let's get the weight down a bit more if you're going to go that route.

I'm disappointed.
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 9:19:10 AM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 9:51:02 AM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 10:21:07 AM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 10:35:41 AM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:
...They are only there to provent rotation. The tabs on those systems are on either side of the magwell. ....

Magwell would indicate Lower Receiver.  All the one's I've seen (including mine) are on the upper receiver.

Edited to add photo:
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 1:46:30 PM EDT
[#42]
The government does not issue contracts to any manufacturer until operational testing(OT) and validation is complete.  The products from ARMS, KAC and DD all had to go through extensive tests before they could get a contract. Period.

The MDNS program has been going on for over three years. Everyone knows that the SIR systems are in combat and have been during that time. Obviously the SIR is working well because ARMS now has a contract for up to 90,000 units.

The naysayers are those who do not sell SIR systems. Thats why the attacks continue on an aftermarket website like ar15.com.

It is also my understanding from different ARMS distributors and dealers that  C4Grant is not an authorized ARMS dealer.  It's too bad that somebody with such sour grapes has to attack a company thats been in the business for so many years just because they're not the government supplier.

C4 is a master at manipulating facts to suit his agenda. Everyone knows the SIR runs cooler than anything else on the market and can take plenty of abuse. This is not the first time I have observed this happening from C4 and I and others wish he would just shut up with his nonsense.
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 1:52:08 PM EDT
[#43]
uh oh...

Link Posted: 2/7/2006 1:52:11 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

It is also my understanding from different ARMS distributors and dealers that  C4Grant is not an authorized ARMS dealer.  It's too bad that somebody with such sour grapes has to attack a company thats been in the business for so many years just because they're not the government supplier.

C4 is a master at manipulating facts to suit his agenda. Everyone knows the SIR runs cooler than anything else on the market and can take plenty of abuse. This is not the first time I have observed this happening from C4 and I and others wish he would just shut up with his nonsense.

I don't know if Grant is an "authorized dealer" or not, but I will say my one and only ARMS product is from him.
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 1:57:43 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:
This is not the first time I have observed this happening from C4 and I and others wish he would just shut up with his nonsense.

\

Me too.
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 2:07:00 PM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 2:37:43 PM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 2:44:39 PM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 2:50:24 PM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 3:03:00 PM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
This is not the first time I have observed this happening from C4 and I and others wish he would just shut up with his nonsense.

\

Me too.

Same goes for you two ladies as well.

C4

I wonder how many guys you would insult face to face. Few, I would bet...
Page / 3
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top