Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 1/29/2006 2:47:30 PM EDT
I recently picked up a bushmaster AR15A3, and i absolutely love it. I want to add some type of optic to it though, but dont want to shell out $500-800 for one. After doing some looking around I came across the Kobra. I've seen this unit used on AK's before but i was wondering if anyone has one on their AR, or has any experience with them. And if so if they could post their opinions about it. Thanks in advance!
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 2:59:47 PM EDT
[#1]
No AR Kobra experience, but I have one on my AK

First off it is HEAVY. I mean my AK is noticably heavy with the Kobra on it. Is that a sympton of the huge metal side clamp? or the sight itself? Also the dot seems blurry to me, when you adjust the brightness it seems to "bloom." But hey, it goes on an AK, how refined does it have to be?
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 3:07:38 PM EDT
[#2]
before i bought the AR i was considering putting one on my AK but decided not to. but yeah, i mean price wise its pretty cheap so im not asking alot out of it. just as long as it works it will be good for me.
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 6:56:11 PM EDT
[#3]
I think it is junk compared to an EOtech but it held zero.  Its not water proofed, I had LEDs go out on the reticle, switch broke after a 3 foot fall onto grass, it is a pain to zero, etc.
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 8:10:38 AM EDT
[#4]
KOBRAS are good sights -- but with prices pushing $200 you are better off saving up a bit more for an EOTech. EO's have a real warranty.  The Russians do use KOBRAS for some pretty serious stuff so they are combat tested (never heard whether they survived or not). For a range gun it should do you fine (actually looks surprisingly good on an AR) but the most bullet proof KOBRA (has shielding around controls) is the improved 1st generation model, and it only comes in the AK side rail mount. The weaver, picattiny, rail mount versions have the on/off switch exposed so if you go this route don't let it fall on the switch.
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 1:25:15 PM EDT
[#5]
I agree. I have broken one Kobra (rail split in half) on my AK, but the other seems just fine. However, I LOVE my EOTechs. You're talking right around $300 flat for a 511/512 model. I did not feel the need for a riser/QD thingy and mounted it straight to the flat-top rail.
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 3:02:17 PM EDT
[#6]
Yeah i like what ive been reading about the EOTechs and think that i might pick up one of the 511's. The only thing that i dont like about them is the way they look but im sure i will be ablt to get used to it. I was looking on the EOtech website and i cant figure out the difference between 511.A65/1 and the 511.D1
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 4:20:06 AM EDT
[#7]
I got mine for $150. If you can get one in that price range, you should think about it. I did a carbine course with it and it worked just fine in the 30* temps, and slight rain. As far as it not being water proof? I can't say, I have used it in the rain a couple of times, but never went deep sea fishing with it.
It has held it's zero, the mount is solid, but the reticle is fucked up now, everytime I shoot, it reverts back to the base reticle the dot and chevron. Hell, don't matter any longer as it got replaced by a TA31A yesterday.

Good Luck,

SCOUTS OUT
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 12:40:21 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Yeah i like what ive been reading about the EOTechs and think that i might pick up one of the 511's. The only thing that i dont like about them is the way they look but im sure i will be ablt to get used to it. I was looking on the EOtech website and i cant figure out the difference between 511.A65/1 and the 511.D1

"511.A65   Factory pre-mounted with 2D Standard reticle pattern & N Cell Batteries
511.D1 Factory pre-mounted with 1 MOA Dot reticle pattern & N Cell Batteries"

So, the .A65 has the 65 MOA ring around a 1 MOA dot. Basically the "standard".

The .D1 is just a 1 MOA dot.
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top