Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 1/29/2006 10:02:59 AM EDT
OK, what is a Hussar?  My best view is that it’s a designation once given to light cavalry and based on 16th Century Hungarian models.  They called them Hussarien, or Huszarien, or the like.

But, illustrations from Polish movies depict hussars as something more like heavy cavalry, including fully armored troopers (horses are not armored), equipped with lance, sword, and bow.  Also, with strange “angel wing” attachments to their armor.

My only conclusion is that they are “Light” in contrast to earlier knights/cavaliers/ritteren, who were more heavily armed and armored.

Any ideas?
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 10:04:05 AM EDT
[#1]
I'm going to post this in "General."
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 10:08:56 AM EDT
[#2]
Light scout/cavalry used to cut down fleeing troops/townspeople from behind.  Up to about 150 years ago mounted cavalry were commonplace the Hussars were sent in when the opposing line broke to retreat to cut down fleeing troops.  They came to prominance after the advent of matchlocks and muskets but they did precede the firearm by a few hundred years.  Of note is they had little or no armor as opposed to heavy cavalry and were often in ornate dress.  
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 10:15:09 AM EDT
[#3]
OK.  That helps.  COuld you comment on this illustration from a Polish film poster.  (I know that movies are movies, and fictional, but my understanding is that the film-makers did stand-up duty to recreate the time.)

This, supposedly, is a Hussar (circa 1675).

Link Posted: 1/29/2006 10:30:59 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
OK.  That helps.  COuld you comment on this illustration from a Polish film poster.  (I know that movies are movies, and fictional, but my understanding is that the film-makers did stand-up duty to recreate the time.)

This, supposedly, is a Hussar (circa 1675).

img.photobucket.com/albums/v209/Amicus333/B00006HCFC.jpg

Hussars originated in the eastern block.  I had been led top believe it was Romania in particular though???  But their creation and battle methods did originate in the region, these tactics and like units were widely adopted.  The British still have units known as Hussars but I believe they are light armor or tanks now.  The armor could signify multiple things who was in the unit, what unit they were, and where they came from.  As far as weapons lances and curved swords were the norm, in later centuries short muskets and pistols.  Needless to say most killing was done by blade as reloads are problematic in battle.  Cavalry swords are curved because with strait edge or point weapons tend to stick or be dislodged from your grip on impact or quite possibly dismount you the rider.  Curved blades deliver maximum edge and are less likely to stick as you ride through.  As to the movie poster I am othewise clueless I know the history to a point as well as the use of the weapons on a small level.  
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top