Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 1/27/2006 12:55:56 PM EDT
I can save quite a bit of money if I purchase the CompC3 model over the CompM3.

Besides what Aimpoint advertises as better environmental specs, (dive depth and cold temps) is there really a significant difference between the two models?

Link Posted: 1/27/2006 12:58:12 PM EDT
[#1]
Well, the Comp M2 or M3 are night vision compatible. That is the major differances, so if you have no night vision equipment, and that capability is unimportant to you, then go with the other model.
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 1:47:24 PM EDT
[#2]
I think you would be fine.  I have an old comp made before there was such a thing as the M/ML models and it has served me well on three different sub guns with two agencies and I am sure the current C models are even better than the old ones.  I don't know what the specific upgrades are to the M/ML models to make them tougher, but for most civilian and or even LE users the Comp C models are plenty strong.   The only gun I wouldn't use the Comp C instead of the Comp M/ML on  for civilian use is the M1A Scout with the barrel mount,  because of how hot it gets,  in that case I would get the M/ML as they have higher temp ratings.        
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 12:36:12 PM EDT
[#3]
This brings up another question I have had a long time.  I too have an older aimpoint and I have messed around with it and an older Russian gen 1 monocular and not had any problems.  I did this way before I new this was a no-no.  Are gen 1 NV less susceptible to damage from red dots than say gen 3?  
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 12:38:02 PM EDT
[#4]
You damn well better if you want to be cool.
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 1:14:30 PM EDT
[#5]
Hell no, in fact you can even get away with This

Link Posted: 1/28/2006 1:19:19 PM EDT
[#6]
You're asking here?   Thats like asking the car saleman if you should buy one or not?  Like asking the bartender if you should have another drink.  Like asking the drowning man if he wants a life preserver!    Like asking anyone at AR15.com if you should buy another AR15!

Of course you should buy one!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 4:53:34 PM EDT
[#7]
Are you ever going to own a PVS-14?

If not, don't bother.
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 5:12:51 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

If not, don't bother.

That is the question.

Link Posted: 1/28/2006 6:06:04 PM EDT
[#9]
Who has the full scoop on what to get?

What is different about the CompM2 vs. CompM3

What does the "L", "M", and "C" designate?

---------

I just want a quality Red Dot that it's not the $40 dollar BSA made in China.  It's use "plinking" pure and simple.  However I still want to pick off a cambell soup can at 100 yards with this Red Dot.  So what should I get?  CHEAP is GOOD btw.
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 12:36:50 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Are gen 1 NV less susceptible to damage from red dots than say gen 3?  

I did not know that NVD could be damaged by red dots.  Aimpoint's product information states that the CompM2 and M3 are compatible with every generation of night vision.

For MocoMan,
Comp C optics are for general use, are only waterproof to 15 feet.
Comp M and ML are designed for military use, are more durable and watetproof to 45 feet

The difference between the M and ML models are the M is compatible with night vision equipment, and in the case of the M3, do not have an "off" position.  The ML has more adjustment in the dot brightness, but is not compatible with the night vision equipment.

The M/M2/M3 are different versions or generations of the same optic.  The 3's are the newest.  

As for what to get, that is really up to you.  Get gear that fits your mission.  Aimpoints are top quality products, and you generally get what you pay for in optics.  With lots of guys getting the new M3/ML3 you can probably get a good deal on a used M/ML/M2/ML2.

Sarge

Link Posted: 1/29/2006 12:43:01 PM EDT
[#11]
Most of us don't need a mi.itary model aimpoint, we just have them because we want them hell I'll never go diving wihtm ine so the depth it's water proof to doesn't mean shit to me, and I don't own an NVD so that don't mean shit to me eihter right now, but should I have the funds to spend on an NVD tehn it will. It's all about options. But my gun also is not a fun gun, it's my HD gun so......
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 12:44:26 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Hell no, in fact you can even get away with This

Let it be noted I did not reccomend that optic.
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 3:57:29 AM EDT
[#13]
The standard dot on the M2 is 4MOA, you can get a 2MOA dot on the M3.
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 4:18:32 AM EDT
[#14]
you wouldnt be cool unless you got what the mil uses!
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 12:58:08 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

If not, don't bother.

That is the question.

www.pbase.com/edwin907/image/55409248/original.jpg

A little off topic, but can you actually use the PVS's integral IR with the M3's intensity knob at 10:30?  My M3 knob is currently at 1:30, and the PVS's IR reflects like hell, so I just use the rail mounted M1-IR.  I've been thinking about rotating the M3, and giving it a try.

ETA - I am also using the PRI & 22M68 mounts.

Back on topic for the original poster, I really like the M3, but it may not be applicable to everyone.
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 6:52:50 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

A little off topic, but can you actually use the PVS's integral IR with the M3's intensity knob at 10:30?  My M3 knob is currently at 1:30, and the PVS's IR reflects like hell, so I just use the rail mounted M1-IR.  I've been thinking about rotating the M3, and giving it a try.

The PVS-14 integral IR is almost worthless when the device is weapon mounted, it doesn't have enough range for anything resembling weapon use, where as the Surefire IR is terrific out to 100+ yards.  I wouldn't even bother trying to use it, much less rotating the Aimpoint to try it.  What we need is a dedicated IR head for the Surefire 962/972 weapon lights, something rugged with 300 yard range!
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 9:48:12 AM EDT
[#17]
That's about what I figured; in fact, I find the integral IR moderately useless even with the helmet mount.   Thanks for saving me the trouble of rotating the M3; besides I sort of like the blingly rubber condom thingy, which would have to go in the 10:30 position.  

I guess I'll just stick with using the pair of M1-IR's [one weapon mounted, one handheld] until SF develops an IR head for the M9x's, as you suggested they should.
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top