Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 1/25/2006 7:52:43 PM EDT
I am talking about the equivalent of Butler Creek flip open covers. It seems like there would be a huge market out there for these things, considering that the rear lens has so little protection from getting scratched and that blowing sand and dust can be murder on glass.

I figure the front cover would be easy to make, just have it fit inside the bell of the optic like a killflash, sticking out far enough so the lid can flip in any direction. It would need to be a fairly tight fit so that dust and what-not doesn't get in around the edges.

The rear cap would require a little bit more engineering since the eye relief is so short on the 4x ACOG's. It would have to fit over the end of the optic and not protrude out any farther than the rear of the optic housing when flipped open. The cap would have to be a bit deeper than standard BC caps for this reason. The cover could probably only flip up or to the side since it would get in the way of your nose if it flipped down.

Make it out of plastic or aluminum, I don't care. The rear cover would be more desirable, I could get by without the front one. I would just make them myself, but I don't have any machining or molding skills, so that is a no go. Considering how much the optic costs, I would easily pay $50 for both, maybe even for just one end and I am a cheapskate.

Using the standard neoprene or bikini caps are fine for transporation purposes, but useless when the rifle is being worn. It sucks having to be constantly aware of where the rear lens is in respect to my web gear, so that it is not rubbing up against some snap or buckle.
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 9:07:09 PM EDT
It's not an aimpoint. The lenses are quality glass not plastic. It's really tough to scratch an ACOG lense.

There are flip down aluminum covers sold for the front lense by MSTN.

If you have the fiber optic ACOG that is intended for you can put a butler creek or other cap on the back.

You don't need them but if I had one it would have the aluminum cap for close range use. I don't because they aren't night vision compatible.
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 5:16:11 AM EDT

Butler Creek see-through on the rear is a perfect fit...sorry I don't remember what size it is. Killflash on the front. THis combo has done a great job so far.

Link Posted: 1/26/2006 5:42:20 AM EDT
I think I might go coverless

Link Posted: 1/26/2006 5:49:33 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/26/2006 5:55:34 AM EDT by Victor]
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 6:04:07 AM EDT
I think a flip up front cap for the TA31 would be a great add. You could then use the BAC feature as an occluded red dot like the OEG in CQB venues.

I've run a few drills with the front cover closed on my Aimpoint. Wierd at first, but you do NOT miss that dot. Not sure I want that practice to become the norm for me, but there is some value to it. YMMV.
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 6:12:55 AM EDT
As stated, the glass is tough. Also, the aluminum front unit is supposed to be very nice. On my ACOG I use a slightly modified KillFlash. Does a real good job of protecting the front lens. On the rear I use the rubber eyepiece. It's long enough that it has kept prety much everything away from the glass and if something does bump into it it is flexible enough to fold over the lens anyway.
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 6:15:42 AM EDT
Did ya get an MRP too Vic? Congrats, don't forget to post pics on the tacked MRP thread

All the instructors I've had also stressed the importance of protecting one's optics, for instance, flip the covers up when you clean yer rifle or when it's sitting on a pack in the dirt. I'm used to protecting camera lenses so it was easy to carry that over.

The scope coat that comes with some ACOGs does an ok job, but on BAC equipped ACOGs there's a sharp edge on the ears which form a channel in which the fiber optic tube sits. My TA31 hasn't been used in two years, the sharp edge poked a hole through the scope coat
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 7:02:24 PM EDT
I have seen the front covers that MSTN sells. They look nice and I may have to pick one up. What are they running for?

It is the rear lens I am most worried about, though. The BC covers are a workable solution for the 3.5x versions since you have the extra eye relief. While they only reduce the practical eye relief about a 1/8", that is too much for the 4x ACOG's as far as I am concerned. I have a hard enough time keeping the end of my TA31F from tapping my glasses as it is now, don't want to make things worse.

Tried the rubber eye cup, but it slows down the acquisition time for acquiring the proper sight picture, especially when using glasses. It can reduce the field of view as well.

The aimpoint has plastic lenses? I would swear the lenses on mine are glass. Might have to try the tongue test to verify.
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 2:05:51 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/27/2006 3:30:00 PM EDT by Buck_Naked]
One thing I would like is a rubber eyepiece that would extend over the rear lens. When shooting with my TA31-F, the scope hits my shooting glasses and leaves a faint mark on my lens... I would also feel more comfortable with the protection it would offer the rear lens when the rifle is slung and rubbing against my gear. The glass is hard, but I also believe there is a coating on the lens that could be damaged. It would also provide a little shade over the rear lens.

I emailed this idea to a manufacturer of products that posts on this board, and they expressed some interest in it. I am sure they could come up with something that would work well, but I am not sure if there is enough interest in something like that to go to the expense of developing something. I am aware that Triicon makes the TA35 rubber eyecup, but its not quite what I had in mind. I will probably pick up a TA35 for lack of something better, but I too would like to see more choices for something like this.

Dave
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 2:46:39 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Buck_Naked:
One thing I would like is a rubber eyepiece that would extend back over the rear. When shooting with my TA31-F, the scope hits my shooting glasses and leaves a faint mark on my lens...

This is a problem I have never had with an ACOG. Even with the shorter eye relief of the TA31. You will also kill the BAC capability of the TA31.
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 3:29:16 PM EDT

Originally Posted By pcurtis:

One thing I would like is a rubber eyepiece that would extend back over the rear. When shooting with my TA31-F, the scope hits my shooting glasses and leaves a faint mark on my lens...

This is a problem I have never had with an ACOG. Even with the shorter eye relief of the TA31. You will also kill the BAC capability of the TA31.

How would that affect the BAC? I thought it was illuminated by the tube exposed over the forward portion of the body of the scope...?
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 3:43:05 PM EDT

Originally Posted By pcurtis:

How would that affect the BAC? I thought it was illuminated by the tube exposed over the forward portion of the body of the scope...?

With a rear rubber eye piece, the norm is to use it like a normal magnified scope, with one eye.
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 5:12:42 PM EDT
Just put a BC 02 Obj on the rear and be done with it.
Top Top