Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 1/25/2006 5:37:00 PM EDT
I have been researching this scope for the last month and am down to the  donut, chevron or triangle.  Anyone have some pros or cons on these three.
                                                                                              Thanks Gil
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 5:50:54 PM EDT
[#1]
donut -- better close up and personal.
chevron -- better farther out.
triangle -- obscures a lot.

ar-jedi

Link Posted: 1/25/2006 5:59:25 PM EDT
[#2]
Before spending $800-900 you can spend $20 on a site membership and have access to the archives. Just about every conceivable subject you can think of concerning ACOGs has been debated to the nth degree.
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 6:09:22 PM EDT
[#3]
Than what would we discuss tonight?
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 8:44:28 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Than what would we discuss tonight?

are you trying to get some informed opinions or just trying to be a prick?

ar-jedi

Link Posted: 1/26/2006 4:03:19 AM EDT
[#5]
ta31- fast but not really precise
ta31f-precise but not really fast
ta31a-fast due to solid triangle and precise with the tip but it does cover up the target.
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 5:09:06 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Before spending $800-900 you can spend $20 on a site membership and have access to the archives. Just about every conceivable subject you can think of concerning ACOGs has been debated to the nth degree.

Bart does raise a valid point. There are many common topics that are brought up ad nauseum here (e.g. "EO Tech vs. Aimpoint", "What's the AR?", "Which ACOG should I get?"). For the people that have been visiting this site regularly for years, it can quite honestly get annoying. I hope you can understand this.

That being said, there is an endless supply of people who come to this site neglect, either through ignorance or laziness, to take the time to search the boards or to invest a small sum ($24) to become paying team members which gives them access to the Archive. The Archive contain posts  going back years here. The wealth of information available in the Archive is, IMHO, invaluable. For me, it is the only reason I pay for membership.
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 5:46:31 AM EDT
[#7]
Hey, if you want to talk guns I didn't reach 3k posts because I don't like talking about guns . However, I've talked this subject to death, so if you just want to learn then access to the archive is a great investment for anyone looking at AR15s.

It is a fraction of the cost of what you'll be spending and you'll definitely learn enough to save you money as well as knowing every little nuance of a particular piece of gear, especially popular gear like ACOGs.
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 5:54:26 AM EDT
[#8]
I looked through a TA31F w/ chevron at a local gun show, and it was love at first sight.  I bought mine a couple weeks later.  I haven't seen the donut or triangle in real life, but I am very happy with my decision.
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 6:12:21 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
ta31- fast but not really precise
ta31f-precise but not really fast
ta31a-fast due to solid triangle and precise with the tip but it does cover up the target.

Absolutely correct, and to add some TA31A info on a slight tangent...

Note that any man-sized target (for which the ACOG is designed) the triangle ranges nicely against a 12" target up to 300 yards and is very easy to align.  Past that you utilize the BDC.

I find the triangle is the best general purpose ACOG on the market.  Precision meets speed.  For up to 300 yards the reticule does obscure the target but again for a man sized target it's a moot issue.   If I were honing my ACOG for varmint shooting or hitting golfballs at 300 yards I'd definately get a TA31F.  But that's not what I require from my AR15.

Tip at 100 yards

Center at 200 yards

Bottom at 300 yards.

The tip of the triangle and BDC stadia makes aligning your target very easy.  Any of the three choices (don't forget the RCO) will serve you well.  I've shot all three and prefer the TA31A by a huge margin, but that's just me and my take on the matter.  I can tag 12" plates all day long up to 300 yards with the triangle.  Most if not all my shooting is 200 yards and under so the TA31A was (in my opinion) designed with me in mind!

Good luck on your decision....you're getting an ACOG, so you're already one step ahead of the game!
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 4:58:03 PM EDT
[#10]
Thanks to all of you that gave positive input. I just joined this web and was not aware of the archives or exactly what a team member was. I was not aware of how much this subject had been covered and apologize to anyone I might have offended by asking my question. I like guns and have been around them most of my life what I am not very familiar with is optics as I have used open sight mostly. I am not lazy just not computer literate so it takes me a little longer. Once again thanks Gil
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top