Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 1/24/2006 7:00:11 PM EDT
Are the guys using ACOG's having trouble with the thumb nuts on the mounts coming loose?
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 7:21:43 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 11:58:55 PM EDT
[#2]
No the nuts are peened on. they can't come off.

The guys tighten them with a Gerber (a little past hand tight and they don't come loose).  

Has anyone lost a carry handle?  No Same system
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 4:35:07 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
No the nuts are peened on. they can't come off.

The guys tighten them with a Gerber (a little past hand tight and they don't come loose).  

Has anyone lost a carry handle?  No Same system

I was asking because I am tightening mine with a quarter and they appear to be loosening.
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 4:43:32 AM EDT
[#4]
They come loose, but we have them paint witness marks right after they are mounted and zeroed as a quick reference for the shooter.  I also have had to order a replacement mount because one Marine used a vice grips to tighten them to the point he stripped one of the the bolt, so there is a fine line you have to tread between tightening enough and damaging the mount.

I have seen a carrying come off in a course of fire, the Marine didn't tighten with a coin prior to going on the line.  So the sight just feel off during a presentation.  
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 5:56:03 AM EDT
[#5]
What STLRN said.  Witness marks on the nuts, on the adjustment knobs for optics, and on the BUIS or A2 sight assemblies.  Easy to return to BZO or tell if something getting loose.
I've also seen witness marks on scope bodies against the mounting rings to tell if the optic is shifting.
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 6:50:16 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

I was asking because I am tightening mine with a quarter and they appear to be loosening.

The other options is to buy a LaRue mount ..
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 7:34:08 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Gucci boy
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 7:48:13 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Gucci boy

Yes, but Gucci boy's mount isn't comming loose on him!
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 11:23:47 AM EDT
[#9]
I know, and to be honest you were recommending them to me WAY before they became trendy here on ARfcom.
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 11:42:11 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 5:18:09 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 10:50:50 PM EDT
[#12]
my larue mount is in the armory right now on top of my A4...

yes my eotech (on my larue mount for that too) is on the front...

interesting note: the inside bottom of the circle mates up with the 800 mark in my acog...coincidence?

-Roth
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 10:57:17 PM EDT
[#13]
Well, 32.5 MOA of elevation......
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 12:27:02 AM EDT
[#14]
I use a screw driver to tighten the TA51 mount about a half turn past hand-tight.  That thing is rock solid.  Thing is, it ain't coming off without a tool neither.  Ain't a problem for me since I don't use a BUIS.  

And I just use a piece of tape on the end of the screwdriver so I don't strip the aluminum.  
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top