Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 1/23/2006 10:02:00 AM EDT
Greetings, all:

Sorry if this has been covered before, but I don't see it in the active pages, and the clicking the FAQ thread just opens the main optics page in a new window.

Anyhoo, I understand that red dot type sights are supposed to be used with both eyes open. (I've not used one.) Does that cause problems with eye dominance, as with someone who's left-eye-dominant but shoots from the right shoulder?

Thanks,

Ron_H
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 10:17:09 AM EDT
Yes it could, provided your shooting with dominant eye open.

Most folks shooting with their non-dominant eye tend to close their dominant eye or else it screws 'em up, no matter whether your shooting irons, scopes or red-dots.

Mike

ps - extensive practice with the non-dominant eye though CAN change your eye dominance to that side IF you practice enough with it.
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 6:05:35 PM EDT
Sir, thanks for the info.

Ron_H
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 3:10:12 AM EDT
Ron, I'm a righty with a lefty dominant eye and I can shoot with both eyes open, the brain sees target with non-dominant eye (right) through a scope or red dot much better than iron sight. It takes a little training, but can work. I'm now able to shoot shotgun with both eyes open provided there is a huge fiberoptic bead. Good luck!
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 4:36:08 AM EDT
Ron,

Switch to your other shoulder. I know, I know. But just try it. You may find that you shoot better that way. If not, then just practice a lot until you a find a way that works for you.

Then come to a Colorado Shoot and show us your rifle. We'll need to "inspect it" for your safety.

Also on a side note..... I took a friend out a while back and he shot my AR with an Aimpoint. He remaked that he couldn't see a thing using it. I finally figured out he was color blind and couldn't see the red dot.....

Guess Iron sights do work better for some!
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 7:15:30 AM EDT
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 8:53:14 AM EDT
Thanks, all. The cross-dominance concern isn't for me--I'm right-handed and right-eye-dominant--but for my wife, whom I'm trying to ease into the shooting sports. I don't know that she'd have the patience or eyesight for iron sights, so an optic of some kind seems a good plan. Have to study on this a bit more, I think.

Mr. Lancelot, thanks for the invitation. I'm in the Denver area and regularly shoot high power out at CRC near Byers. Is there any three-gun or IPSC-type activity around Denver?

Thanks again.

Ron_H
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 9:12:53 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Ron_H:
Thanks, all. The cross-dominance concern isn't for me--I'm right-handed and right-eye-dominant--but for my wife, whom I'm trying to ease into the shooting sports. I don't know that she'd have the patience or eyesight for iron sights, so an optic of some kind seems a good plan. Have to study on this a bit more, I think.

Mr. Lancelot, thanks for the invitation. I'm in the Denver area and regularly shoot high power out at CRC near Byers. Is there any three-gun or IPSC-type activity around Denver?

Thanks again.

Ron_H

Yes. Hit the Colorado forums in my sigline... there are a couple of gun game forums, plus our monthly shoot schedule.

www.co-ar15.com

Link Posted: 1/24/2006 9:49:25 AM EDT
Sir, thanks--I'll give 'em a look.

Ron_H
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 2:52:11 AM EDT

...regularly shoot high power out at CRC near Byers. Is there any three-gun or IPSC-type activity around Denver?

Hey I used to shoot out there at CRC until I found this action shooting is a lot more fun. Aurora Gun Club (on Gun Club Road east of E-470) has a 3 gun match every third Saturday of the month. Fee is $20. Come out and shoot with us.
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 3:07:31 AM EDT
Previous members have addressed this topic here, but I will concur

I am right eye dominant - and shoot naturally left handed

Using an ACOG requires me to shoot righty. This isn't a problem for me , but some who aren't ambidextrous enough may find its use prohibitive.

Here is a good flash demo on the theory of red dots and eye dominance- it is what makes them work properly.

BAC Demo at the bottom of the page of this link

HTH
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 3:09:14 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/25/2006 3:13:57 PM EDT by armaliteuser]
I shoot lefty with Right eye dominance. Find I may have to wink Right eye or partially close with magnified ACOC to capture the magnification.
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 3:16:21 PM EDT
I'm right-handed and left eye dominant. I shoot irons, red dots, and magnified optics with both eyes open.
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 8:27:13 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Bradd_D:
I'm right-handed and left eye dominant. I shoot irons, red dots, and magnified optics with both eyes open.

Same here, except with some irons I have to close my left eye. Took just a couple of trips to the range to get used to it.
I don't think it should be very difficult for most people. In any case much easier than to learn to shoot lefty if you're right handed, I'd think? Just do it! Or at least try.
Actually I used to shoot handguns aiming with my left eye too but recently noticed I have spontaneously changed to aiming with my right eye.
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 3:32:20 PM EDT

Originally Posted By some_finn:

Originally Posted By Bradd_D:

Same here, except with some irons I have to close my left eye. Took just a couple of trips to the range to get used to it.
I don't think it should be very difficult for most people. In any case much easier than to learn to shoot lefty if you're right handed, I'd think? Just do it! Or at least try.
Actually I used to shoot handguns aiming with my left eye too but recently noticed I have spontaneously changed to aiming with my right eye.

I still shoot pistols right-handed and left-eyed, but with both eyes open.
Top Top