Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 1/19/2006 3:57:29 PM EDT
How do I clean my newly ACOG equipped M4gery? Should I take it off each time and re-zero, or is it ok to leave on there? I know that it's supposed to be Marine proof, butI still don't want to to fuck it up.

Also, what would you reccomend doing to clean the exterior of the scope? A quick wipedown with CLP, or something else? Obviously I wont be putting anything on the lenses.
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 4:02:13 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/19/2006 4:03:34 PM EDT by STLRN]
Just leave it on, wipe it down and use Windex type cleaner on the lenses.
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 4:03:46 PM EDT
I like those cam realease hooyas from GG&G. Little pricey, thats why I dont have one, but they look like it would do the trick.

-BJohnson
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 4:40:15 PM EDT
I have mine with an ARMS throw lever mount, which has always returned to zero for me. But I leave it on anyway, and clean the lenses with the included lens pen and just make sure I don't spill solvent on it.
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 4:50:46 PM EDT

Originally Posted By BridgerNY:
I have mine with an ARMS throw lever mount, which has always returned to zero for me. But I leave it on anyway, and clean the lenses with the included lens pen and just make sure I don't spill solvent on it.

I tell my Marines the lens pens is Trijicon's way of making sure we will have to buy new sights in a couple of years. It is an alright piece of gear when new but quickly picks up dust/sand/dirt and will scratch the lens.
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 6:52:44 PM EDT
I use a return to zero mount like the Laure or Arms, so I have always removed it when cleaning. Although I believe the TA51 is pretty close on return to zero. At the worst, it isn't a difference you would notice at <100yds.

For cleaning, I dust the big particles off the glass with the lens pen brush and then use the vinegar-water mixture and sunglass cleaning cloth that Sunglass Hut sells. I have had my ACOG since 2002 and it is still pristine (glass-wise anyway).
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 7:47:07 PM EDT

Originally Posted By STLRN:

I tell my Marines the lens pens is Trijicon's way of making sure we will have to buy new sights in a couple of years. It is an alright piece of gear when new but quickly picks up dust/sand/dirt and will scratch the lens.

Didn't think of that. Does windex affect any coatings on the lens at all or is it totally safe?
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 4:07:57 AM EDT
think trijicon along with other optic comps. rec cleaning with just water.

i have mine mounted with the larue mount which returns zero or close enough
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 4:13:58 AM EDT
Windex seems to be fine, it also removes the oil from peoples fingers that seem to make their way onto the lens.
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 5:00:29 AM EDT

Originally Posted By STLRN:

Good info,I actually never thought of the pen picking up particles.What do you recommend for a quick "at the range" type of cleaning ?
Top Top