Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
Posted: 1/10/2006 12:45:23 PM EDT
I have a tactical mount on my RRA and have just ordered a new Comp M3. From what I understand, the mount was designed for this series of sights with a low wide ring to co-witness properly. My problem is that I cannot find a ring that I am looking for. A rep @ RRA told me that they use to carry the GP5220 rings for it, but they stopped over a year ago (doesn't make much sense if they are still selling a lot of Tactical "carry" handles).

I was also told that THIS RING might work ... problem is that it is silver (would prefer black - guess if I need to I can paint it).

I know a lot of you are probably going to say "ditch the (non)tactical (non)handle and buy a good rear BUIS and a good mount for the CompM". Problem is that would run me over half of what the sight cost me and I am back on a tight budget after buying the sight. Unfortunately, for a while, $$ will be an issue ... unless someone wants to trade me a nice BUIS and Comp mount for the (non)tactical (non)handle http://www.proteandigital.net/img/GP5220.gif

Anyone know where I can still get GP5220 rings? I found two sources on a search in google - both are wholesale companies that dont sell to the public (zanders was one - don't remember the other) Thanks in advance for your help.
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 1:09:19 PM EDT
What you want might be the Aimpoint X-wide 30mm mount. Try Operation Parts, I’ve dealt with them on a couple occasions and had excellent results. They’re also an industry partner to the site.

30 MM ring, X-wide, for Picatinny or Weaver rails, black. Tightens by thumbscrew with screwdriver slot. Allen wrench included.

www.operationparts.com/aimpoint-sights-mounts.html
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 2:40:52 PM EDT
Thanks for the link, QUIB.

Thanks for looking for that ring. I tried one of those rings at my local dealer and it was just about 1/4 inch too high (when mounted to the tactical handle).

After studying that website for the last hour, I think I will be better off just not using the Aimpoint right away and waiting to buy the "right" gear in a month or so. In the meantime I'll just use the rear iron sight on the tactical handle.

Is YHM gear any good or would it be better to wait even a little longer and grab some GG&G or KAC gear?

**Note to other AR Newbies**
For any other newbies like me thinking of getting one the RRA Entry Tactical models ... get it without any mount (just flat top) and use the savings to buy a nice rear BUIS OR get the Dominator Mount if you plan on using an EOTech.
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 2:49:51 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Protean:
Thanks for looking for that ring. I tried one of those rings at my local dealer and it was just about 1/4 inch too high (when mounted to the tactical handle).

With this mount I believe you should have had a lower 3rd window co-witness…..was that not to your liking?
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 3:05:13 PM EDT
I think I'd prefer an 'absolute' co-witness. But, then again, I haven't really used either. Its only $25 ... maybe I'll get it and if I hate it on the AR, I can mount my ClonePoint on the Storm with it (needs a low mount too).

**Note** I got the ClonePoint last month to make sure I would like using the real thing before I ordered the real one Thanks again, QUIB.
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 12:15:42 PM EDT
Protean said:

**Note to other AR Newbies**
For any other newbies like me thinking of getting one the RRA Entry Tactical models ... get it without any mount (just flat top) and use the savings to buy a nice rear BUIS OR get the Dominator Mount if you plan on using an EOTech.

+1

I bought my RRA without the carry handle and used the cash it saved me to buy a GG&G A2 buis.

BTW, you should try the lower third co-witness. I thought I wanted absolute co-witness with my eotech, but now that I've tried it, I am going to get a riser for my EO for lower third. The FSB block too much field of view. It doesn't really bother me while shooting, but I don't like that it may obscure a potential threat. My $0.02
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 1:09:30 PM EDT
I ordered the ring mentioned above a couple of days ago ... should get it tomorrow or Saturday. Hopefully, it will put it at least in the lower third and I'll try it out.

If it doesn't work out, then I will wait a few months and go with the rear BUIS and ARMS m68 mount. My budget has been held back even more .... I just found out today that I am going to be evicted from here in 60 days. That hurts hinks
www.proteandigital.net/img/hinton_letter.htm
Link Posted: 1/22/2006 11:58:09 AM EDT
I have a rra entry tactical with the "tactical carry handle" too. just got a burris 30 mm low ring and my M2's on the way . . . how'd you like the set up?
Link Posted: 1/22/2006 12:17:43 PM EDT
I actually picked up a GP5220 I found at a local (actually kind of 'backwoods') shop that i never went into before. The appearance of the place kind of scared me - almost like a run-down pawn shop look. Anyhow, he had exactly what I was originally looking for. That ring co-witnesses in the lower third perfectly. The Aimpoint 30mm X-Wide, on the other hand, is just barely too high - about an eighth inch too high - puts the scope into about the lower 5th.

I can still use the other rings I have for other weapons and my ClonePoint. Gonna keep the Springfield GP5220 ring and ML3 on the RRA. I DO kind of like the lower third co-witness.
Link Posted: 1/22/2006 5:41:52 PM EDT
very good
Top Top