Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 1/5/2006 10:44:27 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/5/2006 10:48:02 AM EDT by PanzerMK7]
How many Eotech owners have issues with their sights leaning? What is the make of the receiver that you have it mounted on, and how many different receivers have you tried? Please give receiver make whether your sight leans or not, thank you.
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 10:50:04 AM EDT
Personally, I have a 552 that leans to the left on both my Colt and my friends Bushy.
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 11:01:48 AM EDT
got a 551.a65 on a DPMS and she sits straight
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 11:11:30 AM EDT
I've owned 5 different eotechs and had them on numerous uppers/guns, none have had leaning problems.
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 11:19:52 AM EDT
I currently have three, have used them on various receivers (+ a Beretta Storm), no leaning here...
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 11:21:07 AM EDT

Originally Posted By HardShell:
I currently have three, have used them on various receivers (+ a Beretta Storm), no leaning here...

same here minus the storm.
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 11:31:40 AM EDT
Well, I can already see where this is going, so my next question is whether or not it can be fixed, i'm pretty sure it's not my receiver because nothing else I mount leans on it. (but everyone keep answering my previous question as well please, wanna get a feel for how prevalent it really is)
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 11:34:05 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/5/2006 11:34:38 AM EDT by SanduneCC]
My 552 leans left on an LMT upper (it's the only one I have). However, I think it's the upper's fault because my friend's Aimpoint also leans left on his LMT upper.
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 1:41:03 PM EDT
Maybe the EOTech is not leaning, but in fact your FSB is canted to one side and it just appears to be leaning? That said, i have never seen my EOTech lean on either upper I own
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 2:14:41 PM EDT
My 511A65 sat perfectly flat and level.
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 5:27:33 PM EDT
I have a 551.A65.

It's been on 3 RRA carbines, 1 Bushy, and an Oly.

No leaning on any of them.
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 6:22:24 PM EDT
I've got a 512.A65

It sits square and level on my CMT upper.
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 7:45:11 PM EDT
512A65 RevF on a RRA upper, looks perfectly level to me.
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 7:45:38 PM EDT
You mean like this?

My EOTech 511 has leaned on EVERY rifle and rail that I have placed it on and leans so much, it is annoying to look through using the irons. That includes my Colt, a relatives Colt, another officer's Rock River, my Troy MRF-C rail forend and the YHM EOTech riser. So no, it's not your rifle's receiver, even though that is what your going to be told by all of the EOTech cool aid drinkers. If that was the case, Colt, Rock River, Troy and YHM all had better check their milling machines, because as far as EOTech is concerned, they are all off on their specs!
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 8:51:59 PM EDT
I have my 551 w/LaRue mount on a LMT upper and have never noticed even one bit of "Leaning".
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 9:41:28 PM EDT
My 512 Rev F sits flat and level on a CMT upper and a RRA upper.

WIZZO
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 10:32:29 PM EDT
I have 3, none of them lean.

Mounted on two RRA uppers and a Larue mount.
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 5:55:56 AM EDT

Originally Posted By INTrooper4255:
... So no, it's not your rifle's receiver, even though that is what your going to be told by all of the EOTech cool aid drinkers. If that was the case, Colt, Rock River, Troy and YHM all had better check their milling machines, because as far as EOTech is concerned, they are all off on their specs!

With all due respect, is it more likely that all of us "EOTech cool aid drinkers" who haven't had a leaning problem with multiple models/receivers don't know what we're talking about or that you (1) happened to get a rare-but-they-do-happen bad unit or (2) over-tightened, cross-threaded, or otherwise damaged the integral mount somehow?

Link Posted: 1/6/2006 6:03:31 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/6/2006 6:05:57 AM EDT by INTrooper4255]

Originally Posted By HardShell:

... So no, it's not your rifle's receiver, even though that is what your going to be told by all of the EOTech cool aid drinkers. If that was the case, Colt, Rock River, Troy and YHM all had better check their milling machines, because as far as EOTech is concerned, they are all off on their specs!

With all due respect, is it more likely that all of us "EOTech cool aid drinkers" who haven't had a leaning problem with multiple models/receivers don't know what we're talking about or that you (1) happened to get a rare-but-they-do-happen bad unit or (2) over-tightened, cross-threaded, or otherwise damaged the integral mount somehow?

Really, well, that is what I was thinking but everyone that had responded to another thread seemed to think that EOTech had never produced a bad product (that includes EOTech themselves) and the fact that the sight sat tilted was either my fault or the fault of my rifle!
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 6:05:42 AM EDT
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 6:23:54 AM EDT

You mean like this?

img212.imageshack.us/img212/8225/img08181zu.jpg
img212.imageshack.us/img212/3043/img08155wb.jpg

My EOTech 511 has leaned on EVERY rifle and rail that I have placed it on and leans so much, it is annoying to look through using the irons. That includes my Colt, a relatives Colt, another officer's Rock River, my Troy MRF-C rail forend and the YHM EOTech riser. So no, it's not your rifle's receiver, even though that is what your going to be told by all of the EOTech cool aid drinkers. If that was the case, Colt, Rock River, Troy and YHM all had better check their milling machines, because as far as EOTech is concerned, they are all off on their specs!

One of my eotechs leans to the left like this on every railes surface I try. Not quite this bad, but it leans. I also think it's interesting that most of the reports of the leans say that it's leaning to the left...
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 6:27:57 AM EDT
My 552 has a slight left tilt to it. But it isn't to bad that it is distracting.
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 6:34:45 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Gaz:
My 552 has a slight left tilt to it. But it isn't to bad that it is distracting.

Exactly my point, the sight does function fine, but it leans so far to the left that it is VERY distracting to sight through it with the irons. If it just leaned a little, I wouldn't really mind, but this is just too much.
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 7:38:58 AM EDT
My Eotech 511 A.65 does not lean at all on my Bushmaster(BCWA3F 14M4 IZ).

The scope was manufactured November of 2005. The Bushy was manufactured in October 2005
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 9:20:20 AM EDT
No problems with mine on my RRA
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 9:23:56 AM EDT
No problems!
Best purchase since actual AR
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 10:11:38 AM EDT

Really, well, that is what I was thinking but everyone that had responded to another thread seemed to think that EOTech had never produced a bad product (that includes EOTech themselves) and the fact that the sight sat tilted was either my fault or the fault of my rifle!

Understood. Completely. (Some folks are fanatically defensive of their personal purchasing choices. )

I love my EOTechs, but you will never catch me saying that they (or any manufacturer, FTM) are incapable of producing some lemons from time to time. Nobody's QC is 100% perfect, all the time... nobody's!

FWIW, I probably wouldn't have even responded to your post if not for the "cool aid drinker" comment.
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 4:19:57 PM EDT

You mean like this?

Here's a link to the dimensions for a Picatinny rail:
www.biggerhammer.net/picatinny/
If your EOTech leans on your rail, check the rail's dimensions. I'll bet $5 to anyone that if an EOTech leans, it is because their rail is machined out of tolerance. I've seen out of spec rails from many of the best AR manufacturers.
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 4:35:12 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Manx:

You mean like this?

Here's a link to the dimensions for a Picatinny rail:
www.biggerhammer.net/picatinny/
If your EOTech leans on your rail, check the rail's dimensions. I'll bet $5 to anyone that if an EOTech leans, it is because their rail is machined out of tolerance. I've seen out of spec rails from many of the best AR manufacturers.

The sight is at a gunsmith as we speak and it looks as if it is in the sight. I have to have my YHM riser machined to fit the EOTech.
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 12:43:30 PM EDT
A known issue with some Eotechs. Some of my Eotechs lean, some don't.
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 1:21:46 PM EDT
552/Larue mount/Bushmaster

Dead level as far as I can tell.
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 5:26:04 PM EDT
2 yrs ago I had a RRA upper that was outta spec and caused my Eotech 552 to lean bad to the left.

I called RRA and the exchanged it as they told me that some outta spec uppers had been shipped.

Every other optic I had worked fine with it(ACOG, Aimpoint) but the EO tech just didnt fit.

They replaced it in 2 weeks, so it wasnt the end of the world.

FREE
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 5:46:00 PM EDT

So no, it's not your rifle's receiver, even though that is what your going to be told by all of the EOTech cool aid drinkers. If that was the case, Colt, Rock River, Troy and YHM all had better check their milling machines, because as far as EOTech is concerned, they are all off on their specs!

So exactly who was it at EoTech that handled your complaint???

Link Posted: 1/7/2006 6:49:40 PM EDT
No leaning on my Colt. Accurate as all hell and keep a dead on zero.
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 7:13:28 AM EDT
My old "rev C" 511 leaned, but that was a M1S flattop.

My new "revF" 511 does not lean at all, either on my ASA flattop or my YHM rail, or my RRA flattop.

I voted "doesn't lean at all" because my Rev F doesn't. I never found out if the old one was the receiver or the sight,, it went away beacuse it bugged me. Scope mounts and BUIS didn't lean on the old receiver (as far as I could tell).
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 8:32:10 AM EDT
552 with no lean here..... With / w/o Larue mount.........
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 12:46:00 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/8/2006 1:22:38 PM EDT by Yojimbo]
I've had three 552's, a Rev's D,E and F and none of them had any leaning issues when mounted.
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 1:16:50 PM EDT
What would make the EOtech cant on a flaptop?
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 1:54:12 PM EDT
No lean for me.
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 5:20:37 PM EDT
So I guess the general concensus here is that most eotechs are good to go, but there have been a few lemons that slipped through. Oh well no big deal I guess, has anyone ever figured out WHY some lean? Someone must have some theories on this, i'm looking for something a little more in depth than "they're out of spec".
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 5:30:31 PM EDT

Originally Posted By CavVet:

So no, it's not your rifle's receiver, even though that is what your going to be told by all of the EOTech cool aid drinkers. If that was the case, Colt, Rock River, Troy and YHM all had better check their milling machines, because as far as EOTech is concerned, they are all off on their specs!

So exactly who was it at EoTech that handled your complaint???

Dennis Finnegan from EOTech. Good and prompt service from him but I think getting a response of mine and every rail that I have tried the sight on is out of spec and they don't out out bad products is a little much.
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 5:34:52 PM EDT

Originally Posted By PanzerMK7:
So I guess the general concensus here is that most eotechs are good to go, but there have been a few lemons that slipped through. Oh well no big deal I guess, has anyone ever figured out WHY some lean? Someone must have some theories on this, i'm looking for something a little more in depth than "they're out of spec".

I would have to agree, because that is all that I have heard. A buddy of mine that is a trooper out of our post is buying a new Stag lefty M4gery and I am trying my best to convince him to NOT buy an EOTech and go with an Aimpoint instead. He has seen my sight on my rifle and he is a little uneasy about it. Hopefully he won't buy.

Here is a thread that you might be interested in.
AR15.COM LINK
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 8:58:11 PM EDT

no lean.... (colt M4)

no lean.... (FN M16 A4-handguard)

no lean.... (FN M249 SAW)

nope, haven't had any probs yet....

Link Posted: 1/8/2006 9:14:56 PM EDT
Mine have been fine on Armalite AR10 308, 223, bushmaster 223, and RRA 223 uppers.
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 9:20:11 PM EDT
I have one that used to lean to the left on a RRA flatty.

I spoke with Eotech about it, and I fixed it through the creative use of a file. I actually got the idea from another thread on here.

Now it sits perfectly flat

If anybody wants details about how I did it or pics of the filing job, I can post 'em.
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 2:40:21 AM EDT

Originally Posted By ORinTX:

I spoke with Eotech about it, and I fixed it through the creative use of a file. I actually got the idea from another thread on here.

If anybody wants details about how I did it or pics of the filing job, I can post 'em.

More details on this!
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 3:28:56 AM EDT
INTroop:

Other than the leaning problem, what are your thoughts on the Eotech as a duty optic. If this problem did not exist, would you be recomending to your friend?
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 3:38:23 AM EDT
I've got a cheapo upper from Model 1 Sales.
My 552 didn't lean.

I've got a 511 coming in the mail.
I'll let you know if it leans, but I'd be surprised.
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 3:52:22 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Hayseed_40:
INTroop:

Other than the leaning problem, what are your thoughts on the Eotech as a duty optic. If this problem did not exist, would you be recomending to your friend?

Yes, I would. I like the large window for co-witnessing the irons and I like the reticle of the EOTech. I used it one night late to do a building search for a felon when it was about 18 degrees outside. When I got into the warm building, the EOTech window fogged up but I could still see the reticle and use the sight just fine whe I turned it up a couple settings.

But, with the other problem that I have had, I will never purchase another EOTech and I will discourage anyone that I come into contact with from doing so.
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 6:37:32 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/9/2006 7:29:58 AM EDT by ORinTX]

More details on this!

Allright, since you asked.

I had a problem with my 552F leaning on a CMT (not RRA, my bad) flat top. It also leaned on 3 other rails I had from various manufacturers, so I knew it was the EoTech.

I got this idea from another thread on here a year or so ago which I can't find at the moment.

After analyzing why my Eotech leaned, I determined that if I could just remove a little bit of metal on one of the mounts, it would sit flat.

I used a triangular / sawtooth taper file like this one:

And I worked it in the left rail mount (the noun for this slips my mind at the moment) like so:

I would file a bit down, clean out the filings, mount the optic and check for cant. Rinse and repeat. It took me a fair bit of time as I wanted to be careful not to take too much off.

Here's a closer shot:

I accidentally took one of the numbers on my serial number off with the file. Good thing I wrote that down! I had my eotech serviced for an unrelated issue and they never even asked for it though.

Here's another angle:

Gratuitous boast:
When I sent it in to Eotech for the unrelated issue, one of their engineers was apparently impressed with my filing job, and they asked me if I'd machined it . I don't think it looks THAT nice, you can see all the scuffs -- but if you look into the rail mount, it is very smooth and uniform, so I guess I can see why they asked that. The scuffs are actually from before I wised up and got the sawtooth file -- I was just trying to use a flat file at first. If I'd started with the sawtooth file from the get go, this would look a LOT nicer.

The reason it looked uniform enough that they thought I might have machined it is that the triangular file did all the hard work for me in terms of positioning. The right size file fits inside the rail mount perfectly -- you have to check that your angle is right and put a little bit of pressure to rotate the file up and into the rail mount, but other than that it's just elbow grease.

Gratuitous upper shot:

So go get yerself one of them there files and have at it. A few hours of work and a few (ok, 6-8) Fat Tires later, and you're good to go.

I don't have before pictures but it canted just like the other pics of them canting in this thread. I don't have a gun vise at the moment so I couldn't get you a good after pic from the right angle, but trust me -- it sits flat now. I'm pleased, and I'm a real anal bastard and a perfectionist about this type of stuff. That's why I took it upon myself to fix this, I can't understand the folks who are content to let their sights cant like that. It was causing me accuracy problems because sometimes I'd cant the rifle to compensate and throw my shots way off to the left.

Note: The primary part you want to file down is the lip that sits on the underneath of your left rail, if that makes sense. You file that metal away so that side can "lift" up a little and make the optic sit right. You want to get a little bit of metal out of the whole weaver base on the left side, but turn the file so you concentrate your metal removal on that particular part of the base.
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 8:15:33 AM EDT

More details on this!

Allright, since you asked.

I had a problem with my 552F leaning on a CMT (not RRA, my bad) flat top. It also leaned on 3 other rails I had from various manufacturers, so I knew it was the EoTech.

I got this idea from another thread on here a year or so ago which I can't find at the moment.

After analyzing why my Eotech leaned, I determined that if I could just remove a little bit of metal on one of the mounts, it would sit flat.

I used a triangular / sawtooth taper file like this one:
www.mu.org/~abs/Eotech2.jpg

And I worked it in the left rail mount (the noun for this slips my mind at the moment) like so:
www.mu.org/~abs/Eotech1.jpg

I would file a bit down, clean out the filings, mount the optic and check for cant. Rinse and repeat. It took me a fair bit of time as I wanted to be careful not to take too much off.

Here's a closer shot:
www.mu.org/~abs/Eotech3.jpg

I accidentally took one of the numbers on my serial number off with the file. Good thing I wrote that down! I had my eotech serviced for an unrelated issue and they never even asked for it though.

Here's another angle:
www.mu.org/~abs/Eotech4.jpg

Gratuitous boast:
When I sent it in to Eotech for the unrelated issue, one of their engineers was apparently impressed with my filing job, and they asked me if I'd machined it . I don't think it looks THAT nice, you can see all the scuffs -- but if you look into the rail mount, it is very smooth and uniform, so I guess I can see why they asked that. The scuffs are actually from before I wised up and got the sawtooth file -- I was just trying to use a flat file at first. If I'd started with the sawtooth file from the get go, this would look a LOT nicer.

The reason it looked uniform enough that they thought I might have machined it is that the triangular file did all the hard work for me in terms of positioning. The right size file fits inside the rail mount perfectly -- you have to check that your angle is right and put a little bit of pressure to rotate the file up and into the rail mount, but other than that it's just elbow grease.

Gratuitous upper shot:
www.mu.org/~abs/Eotech-mounted.jpg

So go get yerself one of them there files and have at it. A few hours of work and a few (ok, 6-8) Fat Tires later, and you're good to go.

I don't have before pictures but it canted just like the other pics of them canting in this thread. I don't have a gun vise at the moment so I couldn't get you a good after pic from the right angle, but trust me -- it sits flat now. I'm pleased, and I'm a real anal bastard and a perfectionist about this type of stuff. That's why I took it upon myself to fix this, I can't understand the folks who are content to let their sights cant like that. It was causing me accuracy problems because sometimes I'd cant the rifle to compensate and throw my shots way off to the left.Note: The primary part you want to file down is the lip that sits on the underneath of your left rail, if that makes sense. You file that metal away so that side can "lift" up a little and make the optic sit right. You want to get a little bit of metal out of the whole weaver base on the left side, but turn the file so you concentrate your metal removal on that particular part of the base.

Thanks for sharing, I will be anxious to see what this machinist will be able to do with my riser to get this thing to sit level. As highlighted above, that is EXACTLY how I feel. I can't say that I was having accuracy problems, but I did catch myself canting the rifle to get the sight picture level. It's a shame that EOTech won't step up and admit that they have had some problems with these sights.
Top Top