Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 1/4/2006 3:04:21 PM EDT
Since becoming a member of this site I’ve noticed a trend when it comes to optics. Up till recently it seemed the #1 red dot optic to own was the Aimpoint…..hands down, period!  Then the EOTech entered the arena, and the comments from the die hard Aimpoint owners began to fly! The Eotechs a piece of crap, it’s not mil spec, it’s just a fancy version of the Bushnell Holopoint ect, ect.

Now I’ve noticed a trend leaning towards the EOTech and an increase in the sale of used Aimpoints on the E n’ E! I still remember the comment made by one ARFCOM member, something to the effect that soon everyone will be selling their Aimpoints and purchasing EOTechs……..that guy was basically laughed out of the thread! Well now it seems his prediction has come true. So what has made everyone change their mind about the EOTech? Is it the fact that the military now uses the EOTech and the increased exposure had increased it’s popularity?

I’m in no way knocking either sight as I have owned both, and find both have their + and - points. I just thought I’d share this observation I made.
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 3:56:13 PM EDT
[#1]
i have noticed quite a few wtt ads in which the thread starters wanted to trade their eothings for aimpoints.

it goes both ways and is a back and forth discussion which never dies. chevy and fords type thread

Link Posted: 1/4/2006 4:03:50 PM EDT
[#2]
Well if everyone followed the AR15.COM motto "Get Both!", we would not have these problems would we?

Link Posted: 1/4/2006 4:15:50 PM EDT
[#3]
Well, I wish either one looked ok to my astigmatic eyes.  I haven't got a clue what to use for CQB now other than irons.  Maybe I'll go TR21-R (can't afford the Short Dot, but can drool over the pics).
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 5:11:06 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
it goes both ways and is a back and forth discussion which never dies. chevy and fords type thread

No, I’m not trying to start another “which is better” thread, been here long enough to have read my share of those. And as I stated, I’m a fan of, and have owned both optics.

I just think it’s funny how people stick by one optic and swear on it, then jump ship and swap optics when they see others going with brand X. Kinda like keeping up with the Jones’s.
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 5:28:51 PM EDT
[#5]
I started with an EO Tech, used it for about a year or so and ended up switching to Aimpoints. I do still have the EO Tech sitting in the parts box as a spare.

Some people will use something for a while and realize it's not for them. Others will just "jump ship" because the HSLD boys are using something. They are "the slaves to fashion" in other words.

None of this behavior surprises me because it's not firearm gear specific. It's human nature.
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 5:38:52 PM EDT
[#6]
Yea, I too started out with an EOTech, mainly due to lack of funds for an Aimpoint and mount. Owned the EOTech for about 2+ years till this past December when funds allowed me to purchase a new Aimpoint for my light weight carbine and a used Aimpoint/mount combo for my M4gery.

I also thought the EOTech FOV was crowded with the dot/ring arrangement, another point which helped my decision to sell.
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 7:00:32 AM EDT
[#7]
Seems like people who start out with one, don't like it, and change to the other!Eotech and Aimpoint owner here, I like both. The eotech has super fast reticle attainability, while the aimpoint has less crowding.
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 9:55:41 AM EDT
[#8]
I had the Eotech 511 , Aimpoint ml2 and Aimpoint 3xmagnifier sold both sights off and ordered a ml3 .  

To me the 4 moa dot of ml2  was great upto 150yard/meters but it was too big over 150yards and the magnifier even makes it worse ( for long range).

The Eo was great for distances of 0-20 yards and with the magnifier it was better for longer ranges `cause of the 0,3moa dot but mostly I did not like it for crowding my wiev with the 65 moa ring of no use. Also the reticle was not very precise when looked through the magnifier the "dot" appeared to my eyes as a line and it did not make it good for precise bullet placement on long targets(300yards and up).

I`m now waiting for my new Aimpoint ml3 to arrive so I can test that and see if it stays on the gun.

The eo also drained the first battery in a few weeks and when I sold it I had  used 3 sets of batteries within 6months (n-type cell). Aimpoint was going on its First set when I sold it off at 2.5yeras of age!, The new Aimpoint should be even better.

All in all I like Aimpoint better but Eotech is also very good in my mind.

Link Posted: 1/16/2006 2:38:24 PM EDT
[#9]
I'm actually considering my first Aim Point now. I've been shooting my friends AR-15 with his EoTech for a while and I like it, but it would be cool to try something else ^_^

Does anyone have a reocmmend for value of the COMPM3 versus the COMPM2?

j
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 5:17:52 PM EDT
[#10]
I'd love to trade my 99% CompM for an Eotech...
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 6:24:50 PM EDT
[#11]
Well, let's see:

EOTech costs less.

No mount needed for EOTech.

EOTech's reticle is neater and can do SWAG range finding

If you break the EOTech's glass, it still works.

EOTech has no light signature.

Kind of a no-brainer.
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 6:25:24 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
I'd love to trade my 99% CompM for an Eotech...

If you’d said something sooner I would have traded ya!
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 7:15:40 PM EDT
[#13]
I have both.

I like the EOTech better.

It's all personal opinion. I agree with the guy above about human nature. Some people like the newest gadget, others can make due with their current setup for years. It's all in each individual's head.

WIZZO
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 8:08:49 PM EDT
[#14]
sooner like yesterday or 5 months ago?
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 4:58:29 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
Well, let's see:

No mount needed for EOTech.

EOTech's reticle is neater

Actually, both of these points are highly subjective. No mount is required for the EO Tech but if you want to be able to remove the EO Tech and have it return to zero, you need a QD mount like the Larue or the GG&G. Also, without a mount, your iron sights will sit in the middle of the EO Tech's window and some people like to have their irons in the lower 3rd of the window.

As far as the EO Tech's reticule being "neater", I'm not sure what you mean by that but some people don't like the EO Tech's reticule because they consider it too "busy". On the other hand, some people prefer the EO Tech's bigger reticule because they find that their eye can pick it up faster than the Aimpoint's single dot.
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 6:50:31 AM EDT
[#16]
Well, the Aimpoint is still a kickass optic.  It has its advantages too, like longer battery life, functions at colder temperatures, and (most importantly to me) can cowitness on an AK.
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 7:20:59 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
Well, the Aimpoint is still a kickass optic.  It has its advantages too, like longer battery life, functions at colder temperatures, and (most importantly to me) can cowitness on an AK.

Isn't that what a Kobra is for anyway?
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 8:14:00 AM EDT
[#18]
Never messed with a Kobra.  Didn't know they could cowitness.
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 8:24:41 AM EDT
[#19]
I started with the Aimpoint, and thought there was nothing that would ever be as good.  I saw the EO, but it didn't look like the Aimpoint, so in my mind, it was inferior.  Another officer let me play with the EO for awhile, and I got hooked.  Now I'm an EO Tech fan.  Each has it's strong points (the controls and bat life on the EO are much better, the reticle and speed of the EO is much better for what I do).  

I like both, and think they are both very good, just right now the EO does what I need done a little better.
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 1:54:08 PM EDT
[#20]
For me...

<25 = Eotech
>25 = Aimpoint or ACOG
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 2:09:36 PM EDT
[#21]
I use a EOtech , it seems easier to see the reticle then a Aimpoint. The Aimpoint seems like a scope, not a heads up display. both are great , but ill stick with my EO.

I have found the EO tech to work MUCH MUCH better when using with a gas mask on.
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top