Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 12/28/2005 10:39:28 PM EDT
What is your best trick to getting perfect scope alignment when mounting it to the weapon?  My crosshairs always seem to be canted.

Link Posted: 12/29/2005 3:09:55 AM EDT
[#1]
Level your rifle first with a bubble leveler, then tie a string with a plumbob some distance away for your vertical reference (just far enough so that you can see it clearly through the scope), line up the scope's vertical crosshair to this string, done! (be sure the rifle remains perfectly level during this procedure by placing it a vise or rifle support.)
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 3:15:26 AM EDT
[#2]
Probably not the most precise method, but put the muzzle on your shoe/toe and look at the cross hairs from that distance. Its easier to see mis-alignment that way. (be sure its unloaded!!)
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 3:36:26 AM EDT
[#3]
We use two common string levels, (I like the metal Stanley's and clip the string hooks off mine) sold at any hardware store.

Place one on the top flat portion of the elevation (cover removed) turret and place the other on the top of the upper receiver on the AR, (note: for Rem 700 remove the bolt and use the flat area at the rear of the receiver).

Level the rifle in a benchrest set-up, then level the scope to the rifle, nothing is easier.

Suspended string method also works well.

Mike  
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 4:22:40 AM EDT
[#4]
Canted? It doesn't look canted to me!

Link Posted: 12/29/2005 4:59:43 AM EDT
[#5]
And when it's mounted, take the vertical level line, and reun the up-down turret, make sure the crosshairs stay parrallel (Spelling?).
Then , you can take it shooting, shoot group of 3, go 4 clicks up, shoot 3, four clicks right, shoot 3, four click down, shot 3, four clicks left, shoot 3. Shout be back at initial group, with nice square of 4 groups.!
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top