Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 12/27/2005 10:18:11 AM EDT
Weaver Classic V vs. Nikon buckmaster

I got a new AR for Christmas, its a flat top with a 20 in. bull barrel it will be used for varmit hunting and target shooting. I am noobie to scope purchasing. I would apreciate any oppions. I am really pumped and can't wait to get a scope for it.

Thanks in advance, if anybody else has any others they would like to add in the $300 range, I would like it to go up to at least 16x.

thanks
norris

Link Posted: 12/27/2005 1:10:37 PM EDT
[#1]
I've no experience with Weaver scopes, other than simply looking through them while shopping around, but comparing them to Nikon, they were very similar in optics quality. I settled on a Nikon Pro-Staff 3-9x40mm for the price. It was a great scope for the money; light gathering and clarity was outstanding.
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 1:18:15 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks

I am also looking at a Leupold Rifleman so if anybody has any info I would appreciate it.

thanks again for the reply

norris
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 1:55:57 PM EDT
[#3]
I would pick the Weaver Classic V over the Nikon Buckmaster.  The Weaver has Fully Multicoated Lenses.  I would however pick either one over a Leupold Rifleman which does not have click style adjustments.
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 2:08:46 PM EDT
[#4]
Thanks, for the reply glazer if you have one that you think is better than the weaver let me know.

thanks
norris
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 10:26:15 PM EDT
[#5]
I would look seriously at the Weaver Grand Slam scopes.  I find Weaver scopes to be very good, perhaps even on par with my Leupolds, but for less money.  In my research I have found this to be a commonly held opinion.

- CM    
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 8:58:51 PM EDT
[#6]
Weaver Classic line have pretty good optics, strong one piece tubes, and good adjustments. They are also very light. I have several.

I don't own a Nikon, but looking through them I would say that the optics are a little better than Weaver. The Nikon does not have a one piece tube, and several people I know have had mechancal problems with Nikon scopes - this is the reason I don't own one.

Personally, I prefer Bushnell Elites over all others (good value)
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 2:31:06 AM EDT
[#7]
In my opinion, the Weaver scopes are one of the most under rated scopes out there. Value for  money, they can't be beat and will give Leuopold a run for it's money. They are that clear. The Buckmaster is a pretty good scope, however, field of view is quite narrow. I'd get the Weaver if you are not too concerned about reticle choice. I do have both and compared them.
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 7:08:42 AM EDT
[#8]
I've got a Weaver V-16 on a target 22 rimfire bolt gun.  For the money, it is really great.  Optics are clear (but not as good as Leupold) and the adjustments have been totally repeatable and accurate.  I think I paid $289 from SWFA a few years ago for it.   Wouldn't be my first choice for one of my better varmint guns but on a budget it is a good scope for the buck.
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 3:13:56 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
I would look seriously at the Weaver Grand Slam scopes.  I find Weaver scopes to be very good, perhaps even on par with my Leupolds, but for less money.  In my research I have found this to be a commonly held opinion.

- CM    

+1

I was just looking at the 1.5-5x32mm Grand Slam just last night, and it looks to be a pretty good piece of glass. Perfect for an AR.
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top