Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 12/26/2005 8:32:19 PM EDT
I'm interested in one of these but I have a couple of questions.

1. Are there any downsides to mounting on the rail over the barrel, scout style?  Does it get too hot for it out there?
2. If you weren't military or LEO, but you wanted it for Self Defense / Hunting, which model would be the best?
3. If you do mount it on a rail over the barrel scout style, is a free float system better for that application or not?  Seems like even a non free float rail would still work, but I'm not sure.  

Thank you for the advice!!!
Link Posted: 12/26/2005 9:19:06 PM EDT
[#1]
IMHO...,aount it on  LeRue Eotech mount. You don't need a free float systenm. You M3 or MRP Rail will do just fine. The 512 F will serve you well if you never nerd IR night vision.

Tack

Link Posted: 12/27/2005 2:45:37 AM EDT
[#2]
I second what Track said. If you don't need NV, the AA 512 model is the best IMO. I recommend mounting on your receiver rail rather than the handguards...but, if you are going the handguard route, I'd say make it a free-float tube for sure. I have seen news footage of swat guys in our town and some have EO's mounted this way so it's obviously not too terrible. However, I think for the longer ranges you'll be using it for hunting, the receiver will be slightly better at holding zero than a tube (even a high quality tube like the LaRue), especially if you have things exerting force on the tube like a sling mount on the tube, vertical foregrip, etc.
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 4:10:42 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
I second what Track said. If you don't need NV, the AA 512 model is the best IMO. I recommend mounting on your receiver rail rather than the handguards...but, if you are going the handguard route, I'd say make it a free-float tube for sure. I have seen news footage of swat guys in our town and some have EO's mounted this way so it's obviously not too terrible. However, I think for the longer ranges you'll be using it for hunting, the receiver will be slightly better at holding zero than a tube (even a high quality tube like the LaRue), especially if you have things exerting force on the tube like a sling mount on the tube, vertical foregrip, etc.

That's a good point about the sling and such.  This may sound lame but I was envisioning it with a carry handle, that's why I want to mount it forward.  You guys gave me some things to think about though, thank you.  

So the 512, ha?  I'll check it out.
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 8:19:52 AM EDT
[#4]
If you have a flat-top receiver, I'd say put it there and have a BUIS. However, if you have a fixed carry handle, that makes the FF tube option more attractive. A canteliever carry handle mount is also an option.
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 8:27:22 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
1. Are there any downsides to mounting on the rail over the barrel, scout style?

Yes the weight out there negatively effects handling IMHO.

2. If you weren't military or LEO, but you wanted it for Self Defense / Hunting, which model would be the best?

The 512 model.  AA battery powered and lacks the NVG mode, but has the hood to protect the unit.

3. If you do mount it on a rail over the barrel scout style, is a free float system better for that application or not?  

IMHO it's the ONLY way to do it.  Otherwise barrel & handguard flex would always be throwing the zero off.
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 3:12:19 PM EDT
[#6]
Thanks guys, I appreciate the input.
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 10:06:05 PM EDT
[#7]
I used one recently in a class, it was mounted on an A2 upper with the cantlever deal. It worked just fine and dandy, the rifle balanced just fine and target acquisition was fast and dead on *especially for a rifle that I was just "test firing".
Cheers.
SCOUTS OUT
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 5:56:31 PM EDT
[#8]
1. The only concern with mounting it over the barrel is excessive heat from rapid fire (especially if you are already in hot desert conditions to begin with) can cause the batteries inside the sight to burst.  This can occur at around 300 degrees.  If you aren't firing full auto, it's o.k. to mount it on quadrail handguards.  

2. Any of the EOTech models would suit your needs.  The 511 is the least expensive.  The 512 uses AA batteries.  The 551 and 552 offer night-vision compatibility.

3. It doesn't matter if the handguards are free float or not, as long as they are stable enough for optics.
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top