Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 12/24/2005 9:13:02 PM EDT
Is there a practical limit to a scope's useful power for use at the range and just general playing?
I know it's hard to hold higher power optics steady and a rest is needed, but is there an upper limit where nothing helps?
I am thinking about a 6x18 scope. I want more magnification than the standard 3x9 but don't want to waste money that can be spent better on something else.
Thanks,
Jim
Link Posted: 12/24/2005 9:16:53 PM EDT
[#1]
all depends on the range and caliber.

i've got a 6-20 for my .50 cal. I kinda wish there was a bit more magnification, but it' works.
Link Posted: 12/24/2005 9:18:28 PM EDT
[#2]
I've used 20x and 24x scopes off the bench and they have been great.

A few years back I got a killer deal on one of those 8-40x Tasco custom shop scopes. 40x was useless for me, I would always back off the magnification until I got the clarity and brightness I wanted, which was generally about 24x max. I found that at 40x the light had to be perfect, and finding your target was a bugger, not to mention the mirage on a hot day.

Link Posted: 12/24/2005 9:40:39 PM EDT
[#3]
Nam, it's a Colt 20" HBAR in a 1/9" 5.56 NATO barrel.
I figure under 300 yards, with most of my shooting at 100-200 yards.

Warhawk, thanks. I had thought 24x might be the most simply based on the number of target scopes that don't go above that magnification.
I think 12x to 18x max mag. may do all I need. I have a feeling it will be mostly bragging rights over the smallest group, as well as some matches.
Thanks,
Jim
Link Posted: 12/25/2005 3:33:28 AM EDT
[#4]
Yes, you can have too much magification, remember when the magnification goes up the field of view goes down. This is not a big deal on the range but in the field it can be a problem. It takes a lot longer to find the target with high magnification, granted once you find it you see the target with more detail. The plus side with less magnification is speed with sights on target quickly and with the negative being less detail in what you are seeing. Note: when light conditions are less than ideal in most cases a scope with less magnification will have a more defined image. A target shooter / varmint hunter in open country can use more magnification than a deer hunter in a thick woods area.

A 6-18 power scope is not a bad choice for a range rifle and could be used for hunting. In some areas the lowest setting (6) could be a little high but useable.

Look at what you are using the rifle for and get a scope that fits those needs.
Link Posted: 12/25/2005 7:13:24 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 12/25/2005 7:26:15 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Nam, it's a Colt 20" HBAR in a 1/9" 5.56 NATO barrel.
I figure under 300 yards, with most of my shooting at 100-200 yards.

Warhawk, thanks. I had thought 24x might be the most simply based on the number of target scopes that don't go above that magnification.
I think 12x to 18x max mag. may do all I need. I have a feeling it will be mostly bragging rights over the smallest group, as well as some matches.
Thanks,
Jim

I've got a Rem 700 PSS that is currently wearing a B&L Elite 4000 2.5-10x scope. I've been wanting to get something a little more "Tactical" <G> for it and have been looking at some of the new Bushnell Elite 3200's. These are great scopes, and great values. There is a 5-15x and a new 7-21x that have caught my eye. You might check those out.

My youngest son has eyesight that rivals an eagle. He can shoot 1 inch groups thru an aimpoint or iron sights. I've never been able to do that, but it shows that magnification isn't required to shoot tight groups, but it sure helps.

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top