Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 12/23/2005 5:53:52 AM EDT
I'm looking for a good RIS for my Dissipator, and I am on a pretty tight budget.  I've been checking out the SAMCO M44 handguards, and I was wondering if anyone here has any experience with them.
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 6:08:16 AM EDT
[#1]
I have a set of M33s which is the 2-rail "carbine only" version of the M44, but I chose them only after much consideration and prior experience with them.  I sold the last pair I had because I found much better products to use in their place, but this time all I wanted was a place for a vertical grip on a Bushmaster superlight, while keeping the appearance of regular handguards (KISS principle to some extent).

They are FAR from mil-spec rails.  I have a hard time getting a LOT of stuff to fit.  Again, I don't care because I made this choice after experience with these and other rail systems and I recognize that the others are much better, but these just happen to be what I wanted for this one particular, unique application.

The M44 doesn't look like regular handguards, so that doesn't help any.  In fact, they're fairly UGLY if that matters at all.

BUT what they really are is NOT WORTH IT because you can get MUCH better quality pieces from MI or YHM for roughly the SAME PRICE!  Those rails will be in spec (more or less) and better quality by leaps and bounds.  You'll definitely find more things will fit than I can on my M33.

Bottom line, I had specific criteria other than quality of the rail itself when I made my choice.  Otherwise, look elsewhere for better quality but similarly priced options.  Check board vendors in the EE for super deals on either the Midwest Industries or Yankee Hill Machine rails.

Bright Flashlights carries YHM rifle length railed forends for $145

BravoCompany USA carries MI rifle length railed handguards for $179

Either of those products WILL be leaps and bounds better than the Fobus M44 handguards.

You WILL thank me later.
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 6:19:01 AM EDT
[#2]
I will second what Onslaught said.The Midwest Industries Two Piece Handguard is a Quality rail.That said I purchased a Surefire M73 here on the EE and it is also an Excellent rail for the money.For someone who has a flash hider permanantly attached I think it is the best deal going.
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 7:08:36 AM EDT
[#3]
Thanks guys, you pretty much confirmed what I was already suspecting.

Double-thanks for the links - one of the hardest parts of buying gun stuff is comparison shopping :)
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 2:47:21 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
I'm looking for a good RIS for my Dissipator, and I am on a pretty tight budget.  I've been checking out the SAMCO M44 handguards, and I was wondering if anyone here has any experience with them.

Lots of experience with them (carbine and rifle length).

Get the YHM from Brightflashlights.  MUCH MUCH better product.
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 8:24:05 PM EDT
[#5]
Just sent a MO off for the MI 2pc for my carbine. Will let you know how they are once they arrive.
Link Posted: 12/24/2005 9:45:32 PM EDT
[#6]
I personally have the M44 First Samco Rifle Length Handguard System.

They suck.

Total wast of money, up near the FSB where it locks under the metal, right ontop of the gas tube... It'll melt on there when firing.

One day I thought I smelled something weird on my rifle, so I took the handguards off and found that the M44 Samco Handguards was melting onto the gas tube.

Save some money and get something good and reliable. Don't make the same mistake I did.

-Covert
Link Posted: 12/25/2005 11:18:12 AM EDT
[#7]
I had the First Samco M33 for my M4gery a couple of years ago, as soon as the package turned up I opened the box, looked at the rail closed the box and put them up for sale on Ebay. They are a complete waste of money unless you are an airsofter. I went with the M73 instead from Surefire.

Now I decided I wanted to get the Sure M82 for my Bushy Dissipator, found out the gas block is in the way, no way will the Surefire fit. I've decided I'm going with the Troy free floating rail, I checked with Troy and Bushmaster and they both confirmed they will fit. The doesn't help you much if you're wroking to a budget but atleast you know now not to spend money on the wrong rail.
Link Posted: 12/25/2005 11:49:25 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
I had the First Samco M33 for my M4gery a couple of years ago, as soon as the package turned up I opened the box, looked at the rail closed the box and put them up for sale on Ebay. They are a complete waste of money unless you are an airsofter.

+1
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top